Page 16 of 121 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    The announcer said something interesting in the beginning of the Celtics Nets game: Marcus Smart is the shortest Celtics player on the floor and he’s taller than the 3 out 5 players on the Nets. This Nets team is simply too short. On offence, Celtics actions end up with Tatum or Brown vs Curry, Mills, Dragic, Irving or Brown. Too easy for the Celtics.

Nets really miss a wing like Harris or Harden. Even Simmons would have helped.
    Absolutely. The Nets will have a lot of decisions to make this off-season. They can run it back with the same core, knowing they will add back Joe Harris. And if they think Ben Simmons can actually make a return to form they’ll be in good shape. Or they can just blow it up, and let Kyrie go somewhere else or take less money to stay there. Not sure what he would do in that scenario. But the truth is they simply don’t have enough size, athleticism, or defensive mindedness to win now.

Does anyone think Kyrie has just given up? He’s only taken like eight shots in this game and seems utterly disinterested. I’ve always been a bit of a supporter of his, even though I find his off the court antics to be repulsive, but I’m really starting to think that he’s just a toxic player who I would not want on my team.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Does anyone think Kyrie has just given up? He’s only taken like eight shots in this game and seems utterly disinterested. I’ve always been a bit of a supporter of his, even though I find his off the court antics to be repulsive, but I’m really starting to think that he’s just a toxic player who I would not want on my team.
    Your newsletter will likely be quite popular among Bostonians.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He was weirdly passive offensively but he has been active defensively imo. Also got 4 rebounds and 5 assists in addition to a block. Rebounds from a short guard against tall, athletic bigs is an effort stat imo.

Don’t be surprised if the Nets do not sign Kyrie to a max deal. Durant would probably never say it to his face, but I could see him telling management that he would rather not run it with Kyrie again. I know Durant is fiercely loyal, but it wouldn’t shock me if he took that stance.

Get ready for Boston v Milwaukee. I think that series will be for the Eastern conference championship, even though it’s a semi-finals. Not taking anything away from Miami or Philadelphia, who are very formidable. But right now I think Boston and Milwaukee are slightly ahead of both those clubs.

I know everyone is going to dog on Brooklyn, but everybody should understand that this was not a Nets team that was at full strength. Not even close. So the Nets could run it back and be championship favorites again next year. If they get Harris back, and Simmons gets his head on straight and can play, they can compete for a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No, he had a pretty efficient game and played good defense. Bit of a supporter but find him repulsive and toxic. Sounds like a number of haters on the board.

Wow. Even with their circus and injury-filled season and seismic trade, I did not see the Nets getting swept like this. Simmons doesn't even suit up this year with ESPN reporting today that he's still rehabbing his back AND working on mental health issues.

Barring a collapse by the 76ers, it's safe to say they came out on top of the trade deal (for this season at least).

Nets need to do some soul-searching. I'm not sure a team of Durant, Irving and Simmons is, uh, quite disciplined and dogged enough to get to the promised land.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    DonÂ’t be surprised if the Nets do not sign Kyrie to a max deal. Durant would probably never say it to his face, but I could see him telling management that he would rather not run it with Kyrie again. I know Durant is fiercely loyal, but it wouldnÂ’t shock me if he took that stance.
    Problem is, I think theyÂ’re over the cap whether they extend Kyrie or not. So, letting him walk would be a major loss as theyÂ’d quite literally be replacing him with a replacement level player - unless they give up more assets or manage a sign and trade to get another elite player.

Nets are in a tough spot to try to keep this together as KD ages.

Steven must be passed out from celebrating. We haven’t heard from him yet. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wow. Even with their circus and injury-filled season and seismic trade, I did not see the Nets getting swept like this. Simmons doesn't even suit up this year with ESPN reporting today that he's still rehabbing his back AND working on mental health issues.

Barring a collapse by the 76ers, it's safe to say they came out on top of the trade deal (for this season at least).

Nets need to do some soul-searching. I'm not sure a team of Durant, Irving and Simmons is, uh, quite disciplined and dogged enough to get to the promised land.
    Yeah, Irving is a head case, Simmons is a head case — perhaps the two most severe in the NBA — and Durant looks like injuries have taken a toll and he likely will not ever again be the player he was a few years ago in Golden State. This is a sinking ship.

Gosh, I wish Seth Curry were on a different team; I’m a big fan.

Get ready for Boston v Milwaukee. I think that series will be for the Eastern conference championship, even though it’s a semi-finals. Not taking anything away from Miami or Philadelphia, who are very formidable. But right now I think Boston and Milwaukee are slightly ahead of both those clubs.

I know everyone is going to dog on Brooklyn, but everybody should understand that this was not a Nets team that was at full strength. Not even close. So the Nets could run it back and be championship favorites again next year. If they get Harris back, and Simmons gets his head on straight and can play, they can compete for a championship.
    Tough to expect to be at full strength when your best player is 34 and the other two are Ben and Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Tough to expect to be at full strength when your best player is 34 and the other two are Ben and Kyrie.
    I’m not arguing that point. But a healthy Seth and a healthy Joe Harris would have made a difference. And lest we forget, Ben was actually a pretty good player not that long ago. But Durant’s age is absolutely beginning to catch up with him.

I’m not arguing that point. But a healthy Seth and a healthy Joe Harris would have made a difference. And lest we forget, Ben was actually a pretty good player not that long ago. But Durant’s age is absolutely beginning to catch up with him.
    Yup

NBA starpower leads to some very bad contracts and the Nets will have one of the worst contracts in all of sport in a couple of years.

If either Kyrie or Harden had been healthy at the end last year, I think the Nets would have been defending champions, and that "toxic" Kyrie could have 4 NBA Finals and 2 championships. Harden may have forced their hand so they didn't have a choice, but the team was built to win now, and they certainly would have had a better chance with Harden than Simmons in street clothes.

Your newsletter will likely be quite popular among Bostonians.
    Except for those in the Harvard English Department, who would insist on 'uninterested' instead of 'disinterested.' ;-)

17. KD is fine. How he played today was how he should have played in every game - Celtics kept doubling him on the catch and he tried too hard to make the "right" play. He needs to be instinctive and shoot like he did today.

In retrospect, Celtics were a bad matchup for the Nets with their undersized perimeter. If I was Joe Tsai I wouldn't panick yet and run it again. The talent is there, especially if Simmons can overcome his issues. Harris should be back. And I'd trade one of the guards for a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    KD is fine. How he played today was how he should have played in every game - Celtics kept doubling him on the catch and he tried too hard to make the "right" play. He needs to be instinctive and shoot like he did today.

In retrospect, Celtics were a bad matchup for the Nets with their undersized perimeter. If I was Joe Tsai I wouldn't panick yet and run it again. The talent is there, especially if Simmons can overcome his issues. Harris should be back. And I'd trade one of the guards for a wing.
    Shoot like he did today? KD was 13 of 31 (!) from the field, including 3 of 11 from three point land. That's pretty poor.

The Celtics weren't a "bad matchup" for the Nets. The Celtics played super aggressive, stifling defense for the entirety of this series. If that makes them simply a "bad matchup" then they're a "bad matchup" for everybody. I think Brooklyn needs to try to find a way to unload the cancer that is Ben Simmons for anything decent, and they need to get younger. If you surround KD and Kyrie with a bunch of older players, you end up as the Lakers this year. Guys like Blake Griffin need to go, and some younger, more athletic and energetic and hungry guys need to be obtained.

19. Not sure if you read the comments up-thread, but the bad match-up refers to the Nets' perimeter being undersized to the Celtic's perimeter. Actually pretty much across the board the Nets are undersized, and why they kept getting outrebounded. This "bad match-up" would have lessened if the Nets had Harris, Harden or Simmons; or if the Celtics didn't have Tatum. As it was the Nets couldn't stop the Celtics because Tatum got whatever he wanted against the undersized Nets guards.

KD chucked a few toward the end that made his percentage look worse.

The Celtics look really good, championship contender good, but I'm not sure they would do this well against a team with tall wings. E.g. like the Raptors.

Good piece by Ramona Shelburne on ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...team-never-was

NBA playoffs 2022: Why these Brooklyn Nets were the greatest team that never was

...After it was all over Monday night in Brooklyn, Nash and the Nets' superstars took their turns at the lectern, making similar allusions to the off-the-court drama that overwhelmed the Nets this season and left them exhausted on every level by the end of it...