Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do you think he was a bit worn out from the play-in tournament or did Miami have a Young-stopping defense set up for him? Maybe a combination of the two?

I didn’t see the game so I have no clue as to the particulars of what went on.
    Probably more Miami. They have Lowry, who is one of the biggest ahole defenders (I mean that in a good way).

And if Miami is forced to switch, then they get Butler or Bam on Trae.

Miami intentionally got rid of Duncan from the starting line up to prevent the other team seeking him out on D. And it works great.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    riveting finish...i'm pulling for tatum, but boston did enjoy some home cooking today...
    I watched the last couple minutes several times...Tatum played great defense on Durant on the Nyets' last possession (would not allow him the easy three), and then, for some odd reason, none of the Nyets paid any attention to Tatum as he headed down the lane...all of them had their backs turned on him...

It's a shame the Nets and Celtics have to play in the first round. Based on the way the Celtics played since Christmas or so, and with the Nets having both Durant and Kyrie, this series could have been the Conference Finals.

Do you think he was a bit worn out from the play-in tournament or did Miami have a Young-stopping defense set up for him? Maybe a combination of the two?
    I think it was a combo. Miami played great swarming defense that just never gave Trae room to feel comfortable in the half-court. It wasn't just his shooting. When the Hawks are playing well, Trae is generally getting double-digit assists. He had just 4 in this game.

But I do think fatigue played a role too. The Hawks were on their 3rd game in 5 days... Miami had not played in a week. I fully expected Atlanta to lose game one merely from an exhaustion standpoint and I was actually glad that Trae and most of the other regulars played less than 30 minutes in this contest. Game 2 is Tuesday and then they get an extra day off before game 3 on Friday in Atlanta (I will be attending in the amazing 5th row, center court seats I have had for many years).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I watched the last couple minutes several times...Tatum played great defense on Durant on the Nyets' last possession (would not allow him the easy three), and then, for some odd reason, none of the Nyets paid any attention to Tatum as he headed down the lane...all of them had their backs turned on him...
    Yeah, and that spinning layup is done around a nearly motionless Kyrie. Dukie on Dukie violence there...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think it was a combo. Miami played great swarming defense that just never gave Trae room to feel comfortable in the half-court. It wasn't just his shooting. When the Hawks are playing well, Trae is generally getting double-digit assists. He had just 4 in this game.

But I do think fatigue played a role too. The Hawks were on their 3rd game in 5 days... Miami had not played in a week. I fully expected Atlanta to lose game one merely from an exhaustion standpoint and I was actually glad that Trae and most of the other regulars played less than 30 minutes in this contest. Game 2 is Tuesday and then they get an extra day off before game 3 on Friday in Atlanta (I will be attending in the amazing 5th row, center court seats I have had for many years).

Yeah, and that spinning layup is done around a nearly motionless Kyrie. Dukie on Dukie violence there...
    Wow, 5th row center; sounds like a sweet deal!

What a great photo of Jayson Tatum. That play was startling; Tatum would not be denied.

Says the 100% totally unbiased Lakers fan! There’s no way you’d see any sort of bias where the Celtics are concerned. Heavens no.

Just kidding. Maybe. 😉
    dood...i am no lakers fan...i'm a lebron fan...

I've been a celtics fan since the 80's
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    dood...i am no lakers fan...i'm a lebron fan...

I've been a celtics fan since the 80's
    My apologies, sir. I’m not sure how I was led astray on this. But I’m glad to know you’re a Celtics🍀 fan!

Game Two is going to be crucial. If Boston wins I think the series is theirs, though it will still be very close. But if the Nets win it’s going to be difficult for the C’s since Brooklyn will have taken homecourt advantage. This has the potential to be the best first-round playoff series in NBA history.

Kyrie was more of a pylon than a defender on that play. I can see pressuring the ballhandler in that situation, but how can you leave Tatum completely alone?

Wow, 5th row center; sounds like a sweet deal!
    They are sweet seats, but not a sweet deal. The Hawks charge a pretty penny for those tickets (I share the season with several friends, I get 9-10 games per year). We pay over $200/seat per game.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I didn’t see the game so I have no clue as to the particulars of what went on.
    Both, but mainly Miami smothering him on defense and Hawks made no adjustments. He could never get an inch of space to work in. I noticed that the Hawks ran few picks, didn't try putting the ball in someone else's hands and have him move off ball or do anything else creative. Young kept doing the same thing over - dribble the ball up court, get swarmed, pick up his dribble and then throw a wild pass in the general direction of a teammate. Coaching staff should have had him releasing the ball sooner and then getting it back. Trae has a great handle but Miami defenders are too good for him to casually toy with the ball (which he gets away with against most teams).

Kyrie was more of a pylon than a defender on that play. I can see pressuring the ballhandler in that situation, but how can you leave Tatum completely alone?
    Kyrie was indeed a cone but to be fair everyone in the building thought Smart (? Brown?) would take the shot rather than risk passing the ball with 1.5 secs left. Tatum said he was just going in for a put back and was surprised by the pass as well.

PS - Great game! Too bad my dvr cut off with 50 secs left and I had to wait until the 1am replay of the game to see the ending (I'm a night owl). I normally pad the recording but forgot for this one.

It wasn't just that play - the entire Nets defense in the last 3 minutes was pretty awful and a lot of that was because the Nets were out-coached.

107-107,2:58 left.
    Offense: Kyrie drives on Tatum, and then pulls up for short jumper, 109-107 Nets.
    Defense: Celtics give ball to White immediately after crossing midcourt. Tatum, marked by Durant, sets pick at 3 pt line. Seth chases White over top or pick and White has free path for layup and he blows by flat footed Durant and avoids Kyrie's matador swipe. One pick, easy layup for White, tied at 109.

109-109, 2:30.
    Offense: Kyrie passes to Claxton who drives on Horford. Claxton has easy drop off to Bruce Brown under the basket but tries to beat Horford and is fouled. Claxton misses both free throws.
    Defense: White, marked by Seth, starts play just over midcourt. Tatum, marked by Durant, sets pick for White at 3 pt line, Durant switches onto White and pressures White into dribbling out of bounds on endline. Good defense and poor play by White.

109-109, 2:00.
    Offense: Iso for Kyrie who is marked by White. Kyrie drives, gets a step on White but Smart's help D blocks path to basket and steers Kyrie back toward White. Kyrie pulls up and misses short jumper that ended up very well contested by White.
    Defense: Brown brings ball up, Tatum picks off Kyrie at arc but Durant switches and blocks Smarts path forcing him to pulls up his dribble. Smart dribbles over to side behind 3pt line and passes to Tatum. Durant rushes over to help Kyrie mark Tatum, Tatum passes back to Smart who misses wide open three. Bad defense.

109-109, 1:30.
    Offense: Durant brings ball up, no coherent offense by Nets. So KD just dribbles around looking for non-existent openings, finally drives into 4 Celtic players, almost loses ball, recovers it and throws up a very difficult off balance shot that takes a very lucky bounce and settles into net.
    Defense: Smart marked by Kyrie, for the upteenth time Tatum sets pick at 3pt line. Smart gets half step on Kyrie but Seth alertly rushes over to block Smart's path. Smart deftly avoids charge call but by now Kyrie has caught up and blocks and/or fouls and Smart's shot pops straight up in air. Horford grabs loose ball and dunks. Ok defense, not great.

111-111, 1:00.
    Offense: Kyrie turns down Durant pick, drifts over to side and sinks beautiful 3.
    Defense: Coming out of timeout Celtic's spread floor, everyone behind 3 pt line. Durant is solely focused on face guarding Tatum about 30 feet from basket. This leaves Jaylen Brown 1 on 1 with Bruce Brown, no help behind, and Jaylen beats him easily for a layup. Van Gundy says "That was a poor defensive possession for the Nets."

114 -113, 0:35.
    Offense: Durant slowly brings ball up and then gives ball to Kyrie. Kyrie finally starts his attack with 10 secs on shot clock, runs into double team, tries to dribble around but runs into another double team of Smart and Horford with 5 secs left, makes desperate pass to Durant who closely marked by Tatum behind the 3 pt line. Durant has chance to pass to Dragic for open 3 but takes a very difficult, off balance tightly contested 3 at the buzzer. Durant being Durant he comes close, but no cigar.
    Defense: With 10 secs left Brown tries to drive but Dragic plays great D and stops him. Entire Nets team inside the paint leaving 4 Celtic player open on perimeter. Brown dribbles out of trouble with 4.8 secs left, passes to Smart who is behind the line with no one within 10 yards of him. Everyone expects him to shoot so Bruce Brown and Claxton run at him full speed, Smart fakes shot and both Nets players fly by and end up out of bounds. Brown now has a wide open Horford in front of him but decides to take a dribble forward. For all of Durants face guarding Tatum in the last 5 minutes Durant marks no one. Instead everyone is ball watching, expecting Smart to shoot. Tatum thinks same and heads for basket to get put-back. But then Smart sees him and passes it with 1.8 secs left, Tatum makes beautiful instinctual spin move and game over. Boston wins 115-114.

The big mistakes I saw from the Nets in the closing minutes:
    On offense the Nets were very easy to read. If Kyrie had the ball he was going to iso. If Durant had the ball he would try to find Kyrie first (Durant was not confident in this game) but if he didn't he was going iso. So Celtics didn't have to guess or react to sudden shifts in attack or stay with shooters. They were free to double team whoever had the ball. Kyrie had chances to drive and kick to an open Durant and vice versa. Both had chances to use an open Seth or Dragic but instead they played very predictable ball against a stellar defense. That worked as long as Kyrie made his pull up shots. And just that would have been enough if the Nets could play D, but ...

On defense the Nets decided to have Durant to just man-mark Tatum. Good in theory, not in practice. Celtics didn't have Tatum handling the ball, he was just setting picks. That meant Durant's athletic smothering defense never came into play. Instead he spent most of the last few minutes just standing stationary behind Tatum. This took him out of his normal defensive rhythm and he wasn't able to turn it on at crunch time. Durant ended up doing very little on either end of the court in the crucial final minutes. Instead the Nets ended up with Kyrie and Seth trying to play defense on the ball handlers and tying to work through picks. Obviously that isn't their strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3k...=NBAHighlights
    Last edited by Skydog; 04-18-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Milwaukee and Chicago should apologize for that 4th quarter they inflicted on an unsuspecting world last night. Woof that was some terrible basketball. Poor Grant Hill was trying to be positive but even he was finding it tough.

14. Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If you watch the whole play, Tatum was actually Durant's cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Yeah. Kyrie didn't know KD's controller disconnected and that Tatum was behind him until after Tatum had the ball.

On an unrelated note, Draymond mocking someone for complaining to the refs is hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Kyrie was indeed a cone but to be fair everyone in the building thought Smart (? Brown?) would take the shot rather than risk passing the ball with 1.5 secs left. Tatum said he was just going in for a put back and was surprised by the pass as well.

PS - Great game! Too bad my dvr cut off with 50 secs left and I had to wait until the 1am replay of the game to see the ending (I'm a night owl). I normally pad the recording but forgot for this one.
    We were chuckling that this was an example where the Celts did well by not calling timeout...had they done so, one would assume the Nets would have kept a much closer eye on Tatum...not one of the 10 available Net eyeballs was on him until he was on top of Kyrie, then it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    yeah, I definitely get that, it was a team breakdown with no one watching Tatum at all, Kyrie just happened to be the closest guy to the hoop, by which time he could do nothing.

Woj says the NBA has fined Kyrie $50,000... probably for flipping off the Boston fans.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/s...77146738446337

Woj says the NBA has fined Kyrie $50,000... probably for flipping off the Boston fans.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/s...77146738446337
    I wish the NBA could fine fans who curse out players. Fans talking trash is fine but fans screaming obscenities from a few feet away is taking it over the line. But I wasn't raised in Philly or Boston so it may be a cultural thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I wish the NBA could fine fans who curse out players. Fans talking trash is fine but fans screaming obscenities from a few feet away is taking it over the line. But I wasn't raised in Philly or Boston so it may be a cultural thing...
    I’m from neither Philly or Boston but I think that last sentence is uncalled for. This is happening everywhere. I believe there was a big issue in Utah a few years back. At the ACC tournament I was sitting next to VA Tech fans who were clearly from rural VA who were going far across the limits of good taste while sitting next to my 11 year old.

I do agree that out of control fans should be kicked out and I know this has happened in some places.