Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Paolo can take a redshirt year, right?
    I know we're being whimsical and all that but he still would count towards the scholarship limit in that specific circumstance.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I know we're being whimsical and all that but he still would count towards the scholarship limit in that specific circumstance.
    I guess that makes sense, since a scholly is = to a year's paid education.

Sigh...sorry Paolo, but you gotta go.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He could, erm, decide to walk on?

I would have though Banchero and Griffin would have announced almost as soon as the banquet was over and then MW right behind. Maybe they are finalizing the terms with their agents I guess. Those three, to paraphrase the kids, they gone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I would have though Banchero and Griffin would have announced almost as soon as the banquet was over and then MW right behind. Maybe they are finalizing the terms with their agents I guess. Those three, to paraphrase the kids, they gone.
    I mean, they can already have agents in this new day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    But presumably, if each is getting his own day in the spotlight, and that day is to be a weekday, then we would need to see the first announcement today. So it would seem like we should expect some news this afternoon, no?
    I heard that Paolo and AJ went home- maybe for the weekend. Not clear if they came back today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I mean, they can already have agents in this new day and age.
    Yeah, Paolo signed with an agency (CAA) at the beginning of the season. He has reportedly earned north of $1M during his college season. So, he could afford to be a walk-on next season if we're at a scholarship crunch as mentioned above!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah, Paolo signed with an agency (CAA) at the beginning of the season. He has reportedly earned north of $1M during his college season. So, he could afford to be a walk-on next season if we're at a scholarship crunch as mentioned above!
    I know we are all being redonkulous in even entertaining this thought, but it is fun to imagine the quaking that would happen in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    And get an Uber- too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    And get an Uber- too soon?
    Well, ironically, it was NIL that supplied the vehicle in the first place...I think it's hard to get an Uber in remote rural NC barn parties.

I don't have Twitter, but does anyone know if "blue Devils content" is a reputable source? I just saw a screenshot of some info they recently shared, but I don't want to spread rumors from sources that are not respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He could, erm, decide to walk on?
    If I recall, due to a quirk in the rules related to him having a pro baseball contract, Trajan Langdon was a walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I heard that Paolo and AJ went home- maybe for the weekend. Not clear if they came back today.
    Undergrad classes end on Wednesday. I assume they could just finish up whatever they needed to do and come back for Finals or finish up online. That might be me being naïve.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I recall, due to a quirk in the rules related to him having a pro baseball contract, Trajan Langdon was a walk on.
    Lee Melchionni was also a walk-on for a year or so when the short-lived 5/8 rule existed (no more than 5 scholarships for a given year or 8 scholarships over 2 years). He was the "sixth man" of his recruiting class. (I recognize Melchionni wasn't as highly ranked as a recruit as the others we're talking about.)

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    I don't have Twitter, but does anyone know if "blue Devils content" is a reputable source? I just saw a screenshot of some info they recently shared, but I don't want to spread rumors from sources that are not respected.
    I'll go ahead and post it. He says he expects Roach, Keels, and Moore to all return. He later expands by saying: https://twitter.com/devils_content/s...05507869794304

Roach and Keels are for sure back from what I’m hearing. Moore is leaning more towards Duke than the professional route.
    This is a twitter account with just 183 followers. Pretty much everyone who seems to have any real insight into the program has many hundreds of followers (I'm just under a thousand... this would be a good time for all of you to follow me: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans ). I looked through his timeline and though he has seemed confident about some recruiting matters, it does not feel like he is someone who has a lot of inside info or sources. Maybe, but it doesn't appear to be much more than just one of many Duke twitter accounts.

Frankly, most folks are projecting Roach and Keels to return at this point (Duke's portal activity, or lack thereof, clearly points toward this) so he is hardly going out on a limb to project that. His comment about Moore could be true, but runs somewhat counter to some other stuff I have heard lately.

Until these guys make some kind of announcement (or the NBA draft deadline passes without them entering their name) I would take a Tweet like that one as pretty sketchy.

Now, if Zion Olojede or one of the other apparently well connected accounts start talking about it, then we can start to get really excited.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Paolo can take a redshirt year, right?
    And Jon could then burn his redshirt just in time for the post season tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll go ahead and post it. He says he expects Roach, Keels, and Moore to all return. He later expands by saying: https://twitter.com/devils_content/s...05507869794304

This is a twitter account with just 183 followers. Pretty much everyone who seems to have any real insight into the program has many hundreds of followers (I'm just under a thousand... this would be a good time for all of you to follow me: https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans ). I looked through his timeline and though he has seemed confident about some recruiting matters, it does not feel like he is someone who has a lot of inside info or sources. Maybe, but it doesn't appear to be much more than just one of many Duke twitter accounts.

Frankly, most folks are projecting Roach and Keels to return at this point (Duke's portal activity, or lack thereof, clearly points toward this) so he is hardly going out on a limb to project that. His comment about Moore could be true, but runs somewhat counter to some other stuff I have heard lately.

Until these guys make some kind of announcement (or the NBA draft deadline passes without them entering their name) I would take a Tweet like that one as pretty sketchy.

Now, if Zion Olojede or one of the other apparently well connected accounts start talking about it, then we can start to get really excited.
    Got it and thank you for addressing this. Without having Twitter myself, I was not sure of this Twitter accounts followers or reputation. Of course, we want to be hopeful and information like this makes us as such. But I certainly didn't want to be one to spread claims from irreputable sources.

I think the account is just someone that subscribes to Rivals and/or 247Sports premium message boards and shares portions of what they read there. I don't consider the account to be a true insider.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I think the account is just someone that subscribes to Rivals and/or 247Sports premium message boards and shares portions of what they read there. I don't consider the account to be a true insider.
    Yep me too. After witnessing those "premium message boards" getting the Kyrie return date majorly wrong (yes, back in 2011), I don't think they know much either. To be fair, I don't think anybody could have predicted that accurately but they still suggested that they had inside sources indicating certain things...

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

For better or worse, social media acumen is important in all elements of life nowadays. As a scientist in academia, I was strongly encouraged to join Twitter soon after I began my postdoc because "Academic Twitter" is a big thing where people network, advertise their new results, promote jobs, etc. (FWIW, I'll shamelessly self promote my account like Jason, https://twitter.com/RichCompNeuro... since it's my "professional" account I rarely tweet basketball, but every once and a while I can't resist!). I've accumulated >1400 followers, which I'm pretty proud of in the small pond that is academia and neuroscience. Some things I've learned:

1) Follower count is a good indicator of whether you should pay attention, but not the be all and end all. If an account with ~100 followers posts something, it's likely someone's opinion and/or someone just trying to go viral with a weird take. But, followers do not equal reliability; a downside of social media is that the loudest voices, sometimes regardless of accuracy, can gather a following. So this is something of a necessary, but not sufficient, condition.

2) Be extra suspicious of low follower accounts whose profile pic is not of themselves. Again, not a hard and fast rule by any means, but indicative that someone is hiding behind anonymity.

3) Look at the account description, and see whether there are links... oftentimes this may be to a blog or another Twitter account that will give you more detail on who this account is.

4) Look at recent tweets when you aren't sure. For this account, scrolling down just a bit shows some rather inappropriate tweets that seem to just be meant to troll UNC fans. While we're all imperfect, that's something reputable journalistic sources aren't going to be doing, especially with NSFW language.

Social media is still a new frontier for many of us, so we have to be cautious as we approach it. It can be a great source of news... Zion Olojede has been an account I keep an eye on a lot, and would've have otherwise found without Twitter. But there's also a lot of people screaming into the void, hoping to get lucky, go viral, and make some easy cash. The critical thinking skills Duke taught us have never been more important than in this social media age.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!