Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I highly doubt anything will be said at the banquet, but I would guess the relative quiet from our program compared to others is driven by wanting to the timing of the banquet. I would guess we'll start getting some solid intel in the days following the banquet.
    Is this what everyone is waiting on? Post-banquet? Or does Duke wanna do a group announcement and they're still waiting on a few decisions?

I mean, let's face it. Paolo and AJ, at the very minimum, are gone. They know it. We know it. Everyone knows it.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A few months back I looked at 2nd round picks from last year and found if you are rafted in the first 10 or so picks of the second round, you are getting at least a 2 year guaranteed deal that will average north of a million per year.
    Current league minimum for no experience is $925,000

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I highly doubt anything will be said at the banquet, but I would guess the relative quiet from our program compared to others is driven by wanting to the timing of the banquet. I would guess we'll start getting some solid intel in the days following the banquet.
    I don’t recall any announcement at a banquet. However, we usually find out within a few days after the banquet. My guess is that it has to do with the routine post-season meetings between players and coaches which seem to happen in proximity with the banquet.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Is this what everyone is waiting on? Post-banquet? Or does Duke wanna do a group announcement and they're still waiting on a few decisions?

I mean, let's face it. Paolo and AJ, at the very minimum, are gone. They know it. We know it. Everyone knows it.
    I also think there's an element of coordinating the social media of it all. Pre-pandemic, Duke went all out on social media for this announcements (think about Zion and crew). It's hard to judge 2020/2021 because of pandemic restrictions, but there was also the slick Twitter graphics with quotes from the players and K when Hurt and Steward declared last year. That matters, even to exiting players... no reason why an NBAer wouldn't want an extra 100k a year from social media "influencing" income, so it looks good for Duke to continue to leverage it's social media prowess for it's players heading out as well as coming in.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Seth Curry was not drafted at all. (#30 would have been first round, and would have been an amazing coup for an undersized shooting guard like Seth.) It's amazing what he has achieved as an undrafted free agent.
    Thanks - got my info from a quick Google search. Sorry for the error

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Seth Curry was not drafted at all. (#30 would have been first round, and would have been an amazing coup for an undersized shooting guard like Seth.) It's amazing what he has achieved as an undrafted free agent.
    Seth has collected 20.9 win shares over the course of his career. Among everyone taken in the 2013 NBA draft, that would put him 16th, right after Alex Len at 21.6 win shares and just ahead of Tony Snell at 18.5 win shares. That said, I strongly suspect that if we were to redraft 2013, Seth would be a late lottery pick.

In a redraft, Seth ain't going ahead of Giannis (87.5 win shares), Gobert (86.6), Steven Adams (56), Mason (44.2)**, McCollum (40.3), Otto Porter (36), Oladipo (25.1), Tim Hardaway Jr (25.8), Robert Covington (28.4, he was also an undrafted free agent that year), or Denis Schroeder (24.3). But it starts to get interesting as you get to Kelly Olynyk (35.3), KCP (34.6), Gorgiu Dieng (30.7), and Nerlens Noel (28.3). That's 14 players and I think Seth maybe goes ahead of one of those final few guys, especially given how the NBA has changed and no longer really values big men the way it used to.

-Jason "**- if you had Mason Plumlee as the 4th most valuable player (by win shares) out of the 2013 NBA draft, you should have won at least 3 or 4 NBA GM of the Year awards by now" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They usually stagger the announcements and do one a day so that each player gets their moment. I can't recall every having a group announcement. Florida did it when the core of their title team all decided to return and ended up winning it again. I wouldn't mind something like that happening

In other news, Theo cut his hair! I did a double take when he walked out on the stage tonight.

The banquet was very crowded but well done. K kept things from getting too heavy, albeit there were tears at my table and specifically from my eyes. He was gracious, grateful and very generous towards his coaches, the team, their families and all the support staff.

The surprise retirement gift brought the house down.

K looks like a very happy man and I am happy for him, too.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    In other news, Theo cut his hair! I did a double take when he walked out on the stage tonight.

The banquet was very crowded but well done. K kept things from getting too heavy, albeit there were tears at my table and specifically from my eyes. He was gracious, grateful and very generous towards his coaches, the team, their families and all the support staff.

The surprise retirement gift brought the house down.

K looks like a very happy man and I am happy for him, too.
    How could he not be happy. He was looking back on a full, very successful life doing what he loved; he was surrounded by the people he loves and who love him; and Jon gave him a puppy. What's not to be happy about.

That makes me happy. I hope it does you.

Is this what everyone is waiting on? Post-banquet?
    I seem to recall that back in '99, several of the players who left early then, the first time we had early entries, announced it, like, a day or two before the banquet and it made for a somewhat uncomfortable banquet. Perhaps since then they have asked players to wait until after the banquet, IDK, but no matter, the players this year maybe just wanted to respect this last act of Coach K as head coach.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

I think we'll know who's staying and who's going within the next 7 to 10 days, tops. Just my random guess, but I'll stick with it until proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I think we'll know who's staying and who's going within the next 7 to 10 days, tops. Just my random guess, but I'll stick with it until proven wrong.
    The early entry deadline is April 24th, so we're gonna know by then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    The early entry deadline is April 24th, so we're gonna know by then lol.
    So my bet is pretty safe then.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So my bet is pretty safe then.
    Absolutely! Lol

Six days from the early entry deadline and it's awfully quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Six days from the early entry deadline and it's awfully quiet!
    Do we have enough scholarships if no one leaves early😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Do we have enough scholarships if no one leaves early😀😀
    Technically, no. Duke had 10 recruited players this season and only John and Jones used up their eligibility. Eight returnees plus six signees would total 14, one more than the NCAA limit.

Somehow, I think the problem will solve itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Technically, no. Duke had 10 recruited players this season and only John and Jones used up their eligibility. Eight returnees plus six signees would total 14, one more than the NCAA limit.

But presumably, if each is getting his own day in the spotlight, and that day is to be a weekday, then we would need to see the first announcement today. So it would seem like we should expect some news this afternoon, no?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Paolo can take a redshirt year, right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Paolo can take a redshirt year, right?
    Smart move, considering Joey Baker would likely take all of Banchero's minutes next season.