Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

MBB: Duke Comings and Goings

I figured it was worth starting a thread focused on news and rumblings about our guys, since this discussion is getting spread about in a bunch of other threads.

To start things off, it seems like the social media tea leaves (whatever they're worth) are pointing towards some potentially good news. Along with the mention in another thread about a North Carolina radio personality saying there was chatter about Keels returning, this respected voice on Twitter, who has been in the know on multiple occasions (he hinted that our COVID pause was coming well before anyone else I saw), is strongly hinting at someone returning on our end to counter Bacot's return.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I figured it was worth starting a thread focused on news and rumblings about our guys, since this discussion is getting spread about in a bunch of other threads.

To start things off, it seems like the social media tea leaves (whatever they're worth) are pointing towards some potentially good news. Along with the mention in another thread about a North Carolina radio personality saying there was chatter about Keels returning, this respected voice on Twitter, who has been in the know on multiple occasions (he hinted that our COVID pause was coming well before anyone else I saw), is strongly hinting at someone returning on our end to counter Bacot's return.
    This is the time of year that it seems this board is more tolerant of rumors. Social media blurbs would definitely qualify as rumors, but as long as they are POSITIVE, I'm here for it.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is the time of year that it seems this board is more tolerant of rumors. Social media blurbs would definitely qualify as rumors, but as long as they are POSITIVE, I'm here for it.
    Yeah, I was going back and forth on whether to post this or not given that it edges towards the rumor line. Personally, I think as long as something is sourced, it passes the "rumor mongering" check, as one can then assess the trustworthiness of the source themselves. If all I had was "the rumblings on Twitter indicate..." and those rumblings were from accounts with ~10 followers a piece, that would be clear rumor mongering, haha.

All that said, if this is too close to that line please let me know and I will adjust accordingly. I only posted this because this guy is quite reputable... he is a sports journalist for Complex Sports (his personal account is https://twitter.com/zionolojede).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Works for me.

The only counter I could see to Bacot is Mark Williams coming back. I highly doubt that will happen but maybe we can get a player to stay that was projected to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    The only counter I could see to Bacot is Mark Williams coming back. I highly doubt that will happen but maybe we can get a player to stay that was projected to leave.
    Well, if you are talking about a literal counter, yes. But if you look at Duke's roster next year, a returning guard might be a bigger deal overall--not that I wouldn't love to have Mark, or any of this year's key players, back.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    All that said, if this is too close to that line please let me know and I will adjust accordingly. I only posted this because this guy is quite reputable... he is a sports journalist for Complex Sports (his personal account is https://twitter.com/zionolojede).
    He's a lousy speller for a journalist.
    Long live The Rivlary!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, if you are talking about a literal counter, yes. But if you look at Duke's roster next year, a returning guard might be a bigger deal overall--not that I wouldn't love to have Mark, or any of this year's key players, back.
    No way he's referencing Mark, as he worked his way up to near lottery status during the tournament and with who we have coming in.

I figure it has to be a reference to Keels. Or at least that's my guess lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cbnaylor View Post
    Mark comes back, we lose Lively or Filipowski. I assume the writing on the wall is that, for those two players to come to Duke together, Mark is gone.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Mark comes back, we lose Lively or Filipowski. I assume the writing on the wall is that, for those two players to come to Duke together, Mark is gone.
    Yeah, Mark isn't happening, unfortunately. You have to imagine Lively only committed knowing Mark's plans.

Here's a more interesting question though: if Trevor and Wendell were to shock the world and both return, could we sell Dariq on being Scottie Barnes, a super-sub off the bench playing 2-4 and still getting 20+ minutes per game? Full disclosure: I think the chances of this happening are miniscule. But given a Keels return is becoming slightly more likely, it's now not a zero probability that something crazy like that happens, just very very close to 0

OK...hot of the rumor wire....All of us that post on DBR will try to be back next year.

Yeah, Mark isn't happening, unfortunately. You have to imagine Lively only committed knowing Mark's plans.

Here's a more interesting question though: if Trevor and Wendell were to shock the world and both return, could we sell Dariq on being Scottie Barnes, a super-sub off the bench playing 2-4 and still getting 20+ minutes per game? Full disclosure: I think the chances of this happening are miniscule. But given a Keels return is becoming slightly more likely, it's now not a zero probability that something crazy like that happens, just very very close to 0
    I would think Moore starts at the 4 like he did his freshman year in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    I would think Moore starts at the 4 like he did his freshman year in that case.
    Yeah. Roach-Keels-Dariq-Moore-Lively sounds awesome. Lots of quickness and we know Moore is really good at guarding the 4. Filipowski as the Super 6th man. Roach-Keels-Moore-Dariq provide backcourt depth for each other (Dariq could slide down to the 2, Moore to the 3, Keels to the 1, etc).

This damn NIL has made predicting players leaving so challenging!!!!!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

If that were to happen, I'd expect one of Trevor, Jeremy or Wendell to come off the bench. 4 guys for 3 spots gives everyone a lot of playing time.

Yeah, I was going back and forth on whether to post this or not given that it edges towards the rumor line. Personally, I think as long as something is sourced, it passes the "rumor mongering" check, as one can then assess the trustworthiness of the source themselves. If all I had was "the rumblings on Twitter indicate..." and those rumblings were from accounts with ~10 followers a piece, that would be clear rumor mongering, haha.

I need to learn to speak Twitter. Better yet I’ll just quit trying to interpret tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    If that were to happen, I'd expect one of Trevor, Jeremy or Wendell to come off the bench. 4 guys for 3 spots gives everyone a lot of playing time.
    Kyle would be on the bench guaranteed in that scenario. Wendell is a considered a forward at Duke, so he'll be the 4.

Trevor coming back would be amazing. I would look for him to make a Kennard-like jump in outside shooting. Luke went from 32% to nearly 44% 3pt shooting freshman to sophomore year, only to later lead the NBA in 3pt shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Kyle would be on the bench guaranteed in that scenario. Wendell is a considered a forward at Duke, so he'll be the 4.
    Wendell can fake the 4 but Flip and/or Mitchell are 4s. Wendell would probably start at the 2 with Trevor or Jeremy at the 1.

Wendell is an okay rebounder at the 3, probably a great rebounder at the 2 and an utterly craptacular rebounder at the 4.

I am fairly certain that Wendell will go pro. He has close to a first round grade and I'm not sure what he can improve upon that would warrant the risk of coming back for a senior year. I'd love to have Wendell back for selfish reasons, but it seems like the NBA is calling and Wendell should answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    Trevor coming back would be amazing. I would look for him to make a Kennard-like jump in outside shooting. Luke went from 32% to nearly 44% 3pt shooting freshman to sophomore year, only to later lead the NBA in 3pt shooting.
    Yes, IF Keels and Roach come back, that would rival UNC for the best backcourt in the ACC, and would certainly have the potential to be the best. I'm not sure I'd go as far as expecting a Kennard-level jump in 3pt%, but I could definitely see him getting a 7-8% bump (which has been the typical frosh-to-soph jump for few recent returning top-tier Duke guard/wings). That would make him a 38-39% 3pt shooter, which combined with his 50+% 2pt % would be fantastic.

I'd look for a Nolan Smith or Wendell Moore type of soph-to-junior jump for Roach.

Those two along with Whitehead on the perimeter would would be the best perimeter trio in the ACC. And we'd have a talented, but completely inexperienced, frontcourt. Lots of potential there. But at least if we got those two guards back, we'd have something solid to work with on the perimeter.

That said, I'll remain cautious until we hear something from Keels himself.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, IF Keels and Roach come back, that would rival UNC for the best backcourt in the ACC, and would certainly have the potential to be the best. I'm not sure I'd go as far as expecting a Kennard-level jump in 3pt%, but I could definitely see him getting a 7-8% bump (which has been the typical frosh-to-soph jump for few recent returning top-tier Duke guard/wings). That would make him a 38-39% 3pt shooter, which combined with his 50+% 2pt % would be fantastic.

I'd look for a Nolan Smith or Wendell Moore type of soph-to-junior jump for Roach.

Those two along with Whitehead on the perimeter would would be the best perimeter trio in the ACC. And we'd have a talented, but completely inexperienced, frontcourt. Lots of potential there. But at least if we got those two guards back, we'd have something solid to work with on the perimeter.

That said, I'll remain cautious until we hear something from Keels himself.
    Would you rather have an inexperienced front court or back court? My guess is that we rather have experience in the back court. More likely to play low-turnover, facilitate smartly and have good shooting to open up the floor for the inexperienced front court. If Lively can be the rim protector he seems to be, and Flip/Mitchell are adequate rebounders, the experience question may be less important.

From my eye, Moore was a stabilizing force on the floor. He kept the team calm and provided leadership when we had those rough first halves. Will Roach and/or (Keels I hope) provide that next year? That may be the ingredient we will need most...