Page 60 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2490

Destination spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Trickle Down Insanity:

My alma mater - a small Asheville college with an enrollment of less than a thousand - just joined an athletic conference with UC Santa Clara. I swear, nothing makes sense anymore.
    Mtn.Devil, I have a theory: Administrators and the sports programs find both of the locations exceedingly attractive. They're right about that.

Maybe this is a harbinger of the Expedia.ComConference. Schools sign up for desirable places to play! And rack up miles!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Trickle Down Insanity:

My alma mater - a small Asheville college with an enrollment of less than a thousand - just joined an athletic conference with UC Santa Clara. I swear, nothing makes sense anymore.
    That’s insane. In the bits of DIII with which I am familiar, mainly the ODAC, distances are more commonly measured in tens of miles, not thousands. How can this conference possibly make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    That’s insane. In the bits of DIII with which I am familiar, mainly the ODAC, distances are more commonly measured in tens of miles, not thousands. How can this conference possibly make sense?
    UC Santa Cruz is the outlier, but all the schools are very far apart. Warren Wilson is 400 miles from the CLOSEST school.

Seems insane to me. I know D3 schools have way fewer sports, but even still, is Santa Cruz gonna ship their women's volleyball team to Asheville for a series?

UC Santa Cruz is the outlier, but all the schools are very far apart. Warren Wilson is 400 miles from the CLOSEST school.

Seems insane to me. I know D3 schools have way fewer sports, but even still, is Santa Cruz gonna ship their women's volleyball team to Asheville for a series?
    Who doesn't love the Banana Slugs? I know John Travolta did in Pulp Fiction...neighbor's kid is very excited to begin school at Warren Wilson in August...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Who doesn't love the Banana Slugs? I know John Travolta did in Pulp Fiction...neighbor's kid is very excited to begin school at Warren Wilson in August...
    I see lots of parallels between Burlington VT and Asheville. Our tourist season lasts longer and we are more crowded.

My wife is a Banana Slug. I look forward to a heated rivalry between the Warren Wilson Fightin' Owls and the Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

I see lots of parallels between Burlington VT and Asheville. Our tourist season lasts longer and we are more crowded.

My wife is a Banana Slug. I look forward to a heated rivalry between the Warren Wilson Fightin' Owls and the Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.
    gotta go with the Fightin' Owls in that battle...just on mobility alone...yes, Asheville and Burlington are two peas in a similar pod for sure...

gotta go with the Fightin' Owls in that battle...just on mobility alone...yes, Asheville and Burlington are two peas in a similar pod for sure...
    The very first day I was in Burlington VT, I was sitting outside, I believe at Ken's Pizza, and heard someone calling my name. Was a classmate from my school - very surprising in a class of 200 in a small town about 1000 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Parents that went to OSU or MSU will have their kids go to Clemson, UGA, etc. because of net migration. It's the other flaw of the Big 10's revenue model besides tying it to cable subscriptions.
    Fair point, but the most recent data I could find suggests that the median age of a college football viewer is 52. Considering that Big 10 schools still have higher enrollments than SEC schools*, it is going to be a long time before the SEC has more 52 year old alumni than the Big 10.

*According to Wikipedia, the median undergrad enrollment is
    - 32,814 for the Big 10 (Wisconsin, UCLA)
    - 24,593 for the SEC (Auburn, Tenn), and
    - 16,651 for the ACC (Georgia Tech).

FWIW, six of the nine Power 5 schools with less than 15,000 undergraduates are in the ACC. The FBS school with the smallest undergrad enrollment appears to be the University of Tulsa (2,929 undergrads).

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Fair point, but the most recent data I could find suggests that the median age of a college football viewer is 52. Considering that Big 10 schools still have higher enrollments than SEC schools*, it is going to be a long time before the SEC has more 52 year old alumni than the Big 10.

FWIW, six of the nine Power 5 schools with less than 15,000 undergraduates are in the ACC. The FBS school with the smallest undergrad enrollment appears to be the University of Tulsa (2,929 undergrads).
    Numbers are not the friend of private schools when it comes to viewership. It’s ND FB, Duke BB, big gap, everything else

for those counting at home:
    duke wake bc ND miami syracuse
    1200. DDMF.

Yeah, this is why the TV deals with the Big Ten don't surprise me...very very large schools which dominate their states...right across the board except for Northwestern. Heck, even Jerry Lundegaard wanted to know how the Gophers were doing.

Yeah, this is why the TV deals with the Big Ten don't surprise me...very very large schools which dominate their states...right across the board except for Northwestern. Heck, even Jerry Lundegaard wanted to know how the Gophers were doing.
    True, although I don't think Jerry is exactly in shape to be contributing to the Gophers' NIL collective . . .

Maybe they'll just play in the metaverse. We're probably not that far away...
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    True, although I don't think Jerry is exactly in shape to be contributing to the Gophers' NIL collective . . .
    He might be out of prison by now, who knows? Maybe he could donate a nice GMC vehicle? Carl Showalter certainly isn't available!

My daughter-in-law is a Banana Slug. She and my son and my granddaughter live in the Santa Cruz area. I might end up with two Banana Slugs in the family. How many people can say that?

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    My daughter-in-law is a Banana Slug. She and my son and my granddaughter live in the Santa Cruz area. I might end up with two Banana Slugs in the family. How many people can say that?
    I am deeply saddened that I wore my Banana Slug t-shirt to death, what a classic.

I am deeply saddened that I wore my Banana Slug t-shirt to death, what a classic.
    Man. I should gift my wife a Banana Slug shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    I might end up with two Banana Slugs in the family. How many people can say that?
    Not many people, but lots of banana slugs!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Also, the ACC has FIVE private schools out of 14; the SEC+ has ONE of what will be 16; the Big Ten will have TWO of 16.

SEC Merges with MEC, schedules first game for 2024

SE Conference Expansion.jpg

You knew it was just a matter of time.