Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well it certainly won't be the little east anymore...

Question is which is worse, their definition of east? The ACC's definition of "atlantic cost" or the B1G's definition of "10"
    And the Big 12's definition of 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That would be good for Gonzaga. They desperately need more pressure games in January and February.

Not going to debate the geography of Washington state being "East."

Could be time for some rebranding.
    yep, smart move if true, but they're going to have to crank up their travel budget a tad...No doubt they puffy schedule has hurt them in the tournament

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    The rest of the conference does lend itself to this model

DePaul/Marquette
    Butler/Xavier
    Georgetown/Villanova
    St John's/Seton Hall
    Providence/UConn

All but Gonzaga/Creighton are short (<2 hours) bus rides apart
    I want to see the video of a bus getting from Nova to DC in two hours...(but I agree with your point). And Gonzaga is conveniently located next to...nothing...just a short 1375 mile ride to Creighton!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yep, smart move if true, but they're going to have to crank up their travel budget a tad...No doubt they puffy schedule has hurt them in the tournament
    I assume this is department-wide and not just basketball-specific, so all those tennis, volleyball, rowing, soccer, golf players at Gonzaga would then be traveling A LOT. This conference re-alignment stuff can actually often hurt non-revenue sport recruiting in that regard....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I assume this is department-wide and not just basketball-specific, so all those tennis, volleyball, rowing, soccer, golf players at Gonzaga would then be traveling A LOT. This conference re-alignment stuff can actually often hurt non-revenue sport recruiting in that regard...
    doesn't the crew team have its own form of transportation? can't the golf team just ride their golf carts?

Either way, if it does come to pass, i would expect some guarantee that the league would schedule back-back games for them or something. I would also expect they've done the math and some amount of increased TV revenue plus booster money makes it worth their while.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I assume this is department-wide and not just basketball-specific, so all those tennis, volleyball, rowing, soccer, golf players at Gonzaga would then be traveling A LOT. This conference re-alignment stuff can actually often hurt non-revenue sport recruiting in that regard...
    I'd be skeptical of other sports joining the Big East...the geography would just be crazy...but I have no idea what they plan..Seems like a very bad idea at quick glance...anyone really want to travel 3000 miles to play Seton Hall in tennis?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ...The Zags are going to get beat up in league play.
    I'm bored already. The repeated cross-country trips? Travel expenses mushroom. Does the league subsidize that?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

No doubt they puffy schedule has hurt them in the tournament
    Hurt them how?

They've gotten a #1 seed in four of the past five tournaments (as well as a #2 in 2015 and a #1 in 2013). They've been to the Final Four (actually final game) twice in those five years, with seven straight Sweet 16s (four Elite Eights in seven tournaments).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I vaguely recall San Diego St wanting to join the Big East. They then looked into the budget for their non-revenue sports and the cost of road trips to the east coast and abandoned the idea.
    Didn't Boise State join the Big East for a brief time?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I expect this to go in a slightly different direction, but time will tell. The Zags are going to get beat up in league play.
    I'm sure of it. That's what will be nice about it. I've never been a fan of their lofty status knowing they play in a conference of cupcakes.
    I don't care if it's the Big East they wind up in, just go somewhere where they have to earn their keep in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    It's 100% just about money. Any other benefits are just happy coincidences. That's just how college sports, or rather the world, works now. Money/profitability isn't the primary factor, it's the ONLY factor.
    Bingo. Especially in America.

Land of the greed, home of (chasing) the raise, or something like that.

I admit I have not read anything about this but...

Why not just join the Pac-12 for some sports? Can't you do that?

I want to see the video of a bus getting from Nova to DC in two hours...(but I agree with your point). And Gonzaga is conveniently located next to...nothing...just a short 1375 mile ride to Creighton!
    Yeah, might have oversold the point a bit. Does Amtrak do charter trains? Or charter cars at least? A much better way to go between Philly and DC for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I can tell you who they should be required to hire as commissioner of the "Big Country" conference:

Because he's big and he's country...

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I admit I have not read anything about this but...

Why not just join the Pac-12 for some sports? Can't you do that?
    It's more like joining a club than renting an apartment. You have to bring something the club wants in order to gain entrance.
    PAC-12 and the other power 5 conferences are driven by football.
    No point in even trying if you don't bring that to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Hurt them how?

They've gotten a #1 seed in four of the past five tournaments (as well as a #2 in 2015 and a #1 in 2013). They've been to the Final Four (actually final game) twice in those five years, with seven straight Sweet 16s (four Elite Eights in seven tournaments).
    Hurt them not with seeding, obviously. Hurt them in being prepared to win close games against better teams than they see the last ten weeks of the season.

You can be undefeated #1 seed and get the yips when you find yourself down two with four to go because you haven't seen a team like this in three months.

Hurt them not with seeding, obviously. Hurt them in being prepared to win close games against better teams than they see the last ten weeks of the season.

You can be undefeated #1 seed and get the yips when you find yourself down two with four to go because you haven't seen a team like this in three months.
    Yup. Stuff that works when the other guys are smaller and slower and less skilled tends to be less effective when the other guy is at least one of same size, same speed, and same skilled.
    Chet blocked shots because his opponents in conf hadn't seen a guy his size and athleticism. They'd seen a few guys close to his size, but not nearly as mobile. So they went in to shoot because that always worked vs other teams. It didn't work vs the Zags. But in the NCAAT, tons of teams have seen guys approximately as big as Chet. So they knew how to adapt. And the Zags were boned.

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    Yup. Stuff that works when the other guys are smaller and slower and less skilled tends to be less effective when the other guy is at least one of same size, same speed, and same skilled.
    Chet blocked shots because his opponents in conf hadn't seen a guy his size and athleticism. They'd seen a few guys close to his size, but not nearly as mobile. So they went in to shoot because that always worked vs other teams. It didn't work vs the Zags. But in the NCAAT, tons of teams have seen guys approximately as big as Chet. So they knew how to adapt. And the Zags were boned.
    I want to get video of the GM who selects Chet over Paolo. Just for historical accuracy.

Like I said earlier, in the past seven tournaments, they've been to seven Sweet 16s (tops in NCAA in those seven seasons), four Elite Eights (tied for best), and two Final Fours (tied for 3rd-best, one behind the best). Are you saying they'd have done much better if they'd played a better schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Like I said earlier, in the past seven tournaments, they've been to seven Sweet 16s (tops in NCAA in those seven seasons), four Elite Eights (tied for best), and two Final Fours (tied for 3rd-best, one behind the best). Are you saying they'd have done much better if they'd played a better schedule?
    Not sure, but I'm willing to bet it may have helped them against Arkansas this year, but we'll never know.