Page 71 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thread title is outdated, but it seems there's still irons in the fire.

Self proclaimed "College Football Insider" Brett McMurphy (270k followers) says that "Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools" looking to break the GOR deal and find greener pastures.
    greener pastures includes getting a bigger cut of the ACC pie. The league is slowly but surely falling apart. When conference members want to renegotiate their monetary cut, the end is near...

The irony though is that there are SEVEN "magnificent" schools within the ACC? Doesn't sound all that "magnificent" when it's that many.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Only one team on that list has been "magnificent" in the past five or six years. The others at best have magnificent memories.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am sure I am mostly alone on this, but I don't want Duke to join another major conference. The ACC is home, and travelling the country to play teams that don't have an emotional connection just isn't fun.

I would rather see us join the Colonial or the Ivy or some smaller conference and step away from the message that Big Education is sending -- that we are in a zero sum game where all universities must back stab each other to increase their fiefdom at the expense of cultural, regional, and educational ties. That money is the only goal of college sports. That fans don't matter, that fun rivalries with your neighbors don't matter.

I grew up in Syracuse, and while it is fun to see my alma mater play my home town team, I miss the intensity and uniqueness of the 80's Big East.

I anticipate that few to none of you will agree with me and that we will soon be in a new mega-conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    I am sure I am mostly alone on this, but I don't want Duke to join another major conference. The ACC is home, and travelling the country to play teams that don't have an emotional connection just isn't fun.

I would rather see us join the Colonial or the Ivy or some smaller conference and step away from the message that Big Education is sending -- that we are in a zero sum game where all universities must back stab each other to increase their fiefdom at the expense of cultural, regional, and educational ties. That money is the only goal of college sports. That fans don't matter, that fun rivalries with your neighbors don't matter.

I grew up in Syracuse, and while it is fun to see my alma mater play my home town team, I miss the intensity and uniqueness of the 80's Big East.

I anticipate that few to none of you will agree with me and that we will soon be in a new mega-conference.
    I do agree with you and also pose the question (mentioned several times before) when do the mega-conferences get so large that they are not conferences anymore. That is, each team has no chance of playing everyone in the conference each year so the conference championships lose their meaning.

I agree with you, but I think many on here just believe the reality is that if Duke wants to stay relevant (particularly in football, but also $$), then they have no choice. Need to be a step ahead or get "left out." Also, no way is the Ivy inviting anybody else to join their exclusive club...And Duke wouldn't want to do away with athletic scholarships either.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I do agree with you and also pose the question (mentioned several times before) when do the mega-conferences get so large that they are not conferences anymore. That is, each team has no chance of playing everyone in the conference each year so the conference championships lose their meaning.
    when the next most valuable team in the country brings in fewer than the average number of dollars the teams in the conference currently bring in.
    April 1

I'm on the record (somewhere) agreeing with this line of thought. But I also recognize the reality that it's extremely unlikely to happen that way.

Everything around this last 20 years of conference alignment is about money and football.

Pretty much no one walks away from piles of money.

But yeah, if the fallout is that we "miss" on the PacWhatever and BigWhatever, I will absolutely be just as amped about Duke basketball as I ever have been.

I realize this is mostly a basketball board but the Duke administration has committed itself to big time football with the infusion of money into the program in the past year which paid big dividends.

Duke football cannot compete at a high level without Big Conference dollars.

I don't know if the recurrence of these articles means much, but I hope that Duke is watching out for itself behind the scenes. Clearly, Duke's ACC brethren have not cared about Duke for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Thread title is outdated, but it seems there's still irons in the fire.

Self proclaimed "College Football Insider" Brett McMurphy (270k followers) says that "Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools" looking to break the GOR deal and find greener pastures.
    "Magnificent?" Uh . . . yeeeeeahhhh . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Maged View Post
    I realize this is mostly a basketball board but the Duke administration has committed itself to big time football with the infusion of money into the program in the past year which paid big dividends.

Duke football cannot compete at a high level without Big Conference dollars.

I don't know if the recurrence of these articles means much, but I hope that Duke is watching out for itself behind the scenes. Clearly, Duke's ACC brethren have not cared about Duke for years.
    Do we have any evidence the athletics subsidy increased to fund this? I suspect it was funded via the athletic department, without additional funds from the university, as the subsidy had been a pretty consistent ~16 million for quite a while.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You're not alone. Many of us here miss the intensity and uniqueness of the 80's ACC. Unfortunately, neither are coming back.

But at least we have those memories.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Is the 2020s Big East an acceptable destination?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Only one team on that list has been "magnificent" in the past five or six years. The others at best have magnificent memories.
    Help me understand, NCSU is magnificent? The last decade they won either an ACC football or b-ball championship - the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Help me understand, NCSU is magnificent? The last decade they won either an ACC football or b-ball championship - the 1980s.
    Odd that Georgia Tech, with 4 national football championships, is less magnificent than UVA, VT, UNC and NC State. I hope Duke has a plan for when the last shoe falls and I hope the plan is to maximize basketball instead a desperation attempt to keep football $ and relevance by cobbling together a second tier conference over an even larger geographic footprint than the current ACC. Perhaps the remaining ACC schools could join the Big East creating a large 2 division basketball conference and a small football conference including UConn and the former ACC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Odd that Georgia Tech, with 4 national football championships, is less magnificent than UVA, VT, UNC and NC State. I hope Duke has a plan for when the last shoe falls and I hope the plan is to maximize basketball instead a desperation attempt to keep football $ and relevance by cobbling together a second tier conference over an even larger geographic footprint than the current ACC. Perhaps the remaining ACC schools could join the Big East creating a large 2 division basketball conference and a small football conference including UConn and the former ACC schools.
    That plan works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That plan works for me.
    The big east would be really back to its roots!
    April 1

I could imagine worse scenarios from my perspective. It may seem like an issue of semantics, but I wonder if the ACC left-behinds would join the Big East or they could somehow convince the more attractive Big East members to join the ACC?

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I could imagine worse scenarios from my perspective. It may seem like an issue of semantics, but I wonder if the ACC left-behinds would join the Big East or they could somehow convince the more attractive Big East members to join the ACC?
    hard to say.

Would a school with football like uconn make more in the ACC next year than in the big east? Probably.
    Would a school like villanova or creighton make more in ACC basketball next year than in the big east?

Will either of those schools be better off tying their fortunes to what could very well be a sinking ship as opposed to something that's going good? Uconn made that mistake once already, and I'm not sure the basketball schools want to deal with being in the tenuous position they were 10 years ago again.

It would be a hard sell for all parties, I think, especially due to the super long GoR and for the ACC, it would mean admitting failure at football, something I'm sure they're trying to avoid at least until the last one out turns off the lights.
    April 1

sorry for what likely is the dumbest question in this thread, but if the ACC theoretically blows up, when is the earliest that could impact duke’s basketball schedule? as early as next season? 2025?