Page 55 of 125 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seems this would be a very bad scenario for the ACC. Not quite as bad as losing UNC/Clemson/Miami/UVa, but it takes the remaining delectable options off the board AND seals up ND.

I have a difficult time not laughing when people present the case for Notre Dame to join the ACC - seems very unlikely.
    There was never a chance ND would join the ACC. It made and makes no financial sense. Nina King is being very proactive, because you can bet that every other school in the ACC is looking around wondering who might defect.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There was never a chance ND would join the ACC. It made and makes no financial sense. Nina King is being very proactive, because you can bet that every other school in the ACC is looking around wondering who might defect.
    It feels like a bunch of teams looking around trying to see who flinches first.

The ACC is done. If those 4 head off to the big ten, the SEC will take what’s left and that will be it.

Isn/t the Question

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The ACC is done. If those 4 head off to the big ten, the SEC will take what’s left and that will be it.
    Does the ACC hold together with the severe penalty on leaving?

One can certainly speculate that if Stanford, Washington, Oregon and ND go BIG then the Big 12 would take Colorado, Utah, AZ and ASU and if they could the SEC would add Clemson, Miami and FSU.

Virginia and unc-heaters go ?

Duke, GTech, VaTech, Wake, Syracuse, BC, NC State could probably cobble together something maybe with Cal, Oregon State, Wash State and a few others. Not a very pretty picture.

Or maybe Duke just drops football and does what is necessary to survive financially with just basketball bringing in the dollars.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

One can certainly speculate that if Stanford, Washington, Oregon and ND go BIG then the Big 12 would take Colorado, Utah, AZ and ASU and if they could the SEC would add Clemson, Miami and FSU.

Virginia and unc-heaters go ?

Duke, GTech, VaTech, Wake, Syracuse, BC, NC State could probably cobble together something maybe with Cal, Oregon State, Wash State and a few others. Not a very pretty picture.

Or maybe Duke just drops football and does what is necessary to survive financially with just basketball bringing in the dollars.

SoCal
    Yes, I’d hold off upgrading football locker rooms for now. Why make “small” investments in this program if we’re gonna be left behind. The current football facilities are great for non-BCS programs.

^ which is why I would bet that Nina King has been placing some phone calls northward. I can't believe anyone at Duke thinks we'd be a fit (or even be invited) to the SEC. Perhaps a junior membership in the B1G (reduced revenue for some period of time)...I would imagine the academic types at UVA and unc see the B1G as a much better fit than the SEC, but they may just go where they see the most money.

All Nina can do is work on making Duke more attractive (fix football) before the music stops.

Spitballing b/c I haven’t seen the contract - but I suspect the GoR doesn’t apply to ND for football since they’re not in the ACC for football. Penalty for them leaving may not be nearly as severe as for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Spitballing b/c I haven’t seen the contract - but I suspect the GoR doesn’t apply to ND for football since they’re not in the ACC for football. Penalty for them leaving may not be nearly as severe as for anyone else.
    yeah, it's all about football and ND isn't in the ACC for football, period.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That's not a viable option. Basketball will never pay the bills on a scale needed to support an athletic department. Not even a basketball program of Duke's nature. (Which would actually be lessened with the loss of football, because at that point we are no longer a part of conference that matters in any sport.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is probably too simplistic a view, but I just don't see how the music stops without the states of Virginia and North Carolina on board the train (with either the B1G or SEC). And with all due respect to NC State, I also have to believe that Duke/UNC travel as a package in any maneuver. NC State is way more like Iowa State or Washington State or Oregon St. in terms of its profile, and is more likely to get left out than Duke, which has a huge national brand.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's not a viable option. Basketball will never pay the bills on a scale needed to support an athletic department. Not even a basketball program of Duke's nature. (Which would actually be lessened with the loss of football, because at that point we are no longer a part of conference that matters in any sport.)
    which is why Nina is out there doing what she can to make Duke football attractive. Nearly all the other sports depend upon the football TV money.

Quote Originally Posted by Monmouth77 View Post
    This is probably too simplistic a view, but I just don't see how the music stops without the states of Virginia and North Carolina on board the train (with either the B1G or SEC). And with all due respect to NC State, I also have to believe that Duke/UNC travel as a package in any maneuver. NC State is way more like Iowa State or Washington State or Oregon St. in terms of its profile, and is more likely to get left out than Duke, which has a huge national brand.
    Except that every study and chart I've seen shows Duke as lagging far behind the Wolfpack in any measurable financial metric.

It's all football.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    which is why Nina is out there doing what she can to make Duke football attractive. Nearly all the other sports depend upon the football TV money.
    Exactly, and she stated that in almost exactly those words. I've got faith in what she's doing for Duke Football, and for Duke overall. The idea that football should be dropped is an idea that should be dropped.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Exactly, and she stated that in almost exactly those words. I've got faith in what she's doing for Duke Football, and for Duke overall. The idea that football should be dropped is an idea that should be dropped.
    Unless Duke Football is an actual $$ loser (it’s not) I can’t imagine why we would drop it, whether we’re in the ACC or the Big East or whatever.

Well

How does Villanova do it? What makes Duke different? As someone who doesn't like or follow football, I'm truly wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    How does Villanova do it? What makes Duke different? As someone who doesn't like or follow football, I'm truly wondering.
    They do it because they have football, and are quite good at it. They are FCS, but they haven't dropped it.
    Defending conference champion Villanova was picked as the preseason CAA Football favorite in a poll of league head coaches and media relations directors which was announced as part of a virtual media day held on Thursday morning. Coming off a 10-3 season and an appearance in the quarterfinal round of the FCS playoffs, the Wildcats received 16 first-place votes and 270 points in the preseason predicted order of finish.
    https://villanova.com/news/2022/7/28...-favorite.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Jay Wright retired. You never assume you will be the exception. Ask Yukon how that worked after Calhoun.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yes, I’d hold off upgrading football locker rooms for now. Why make “small” investments in this program if we’re gonna be left behind. The current football facilities are great for non-BCS programs.
    The locker rooms arguably need upgrading even if we drop to D2.

Speaking of Villanova, it turns out that they are a financial miracle! They didn't make any money, but they didn't lose any either.

They had athletic revenue of $51,223,342, with expenditures of $51,223,342. That's some amazing accounting.
    https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/

In comparison, Duke totally raked it in, making almost $200.
    $116,021,513 made to $116,021,331 spent.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colle...t-life/sports/

(Worth noting, since Villanova was asked about in comparison to Duke, that Duke has a budget over twice the size.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Unless Duke Football is an actual $$ loser (it’s not) I can’t imagine why we would drop it, whether we’re in the ACC or the Big East or whatever.
    Duke is a money loser, except the other teams in the conference are money makers so we get to take a share of their earnings and wind up profitable due to the payout. Of course the reverse is true for basketball, but the numbers are much smaller so it still doesn't even out.