Page 54 of 125 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    "we reduced your annual parking pass fee by 5%"
    That'll be the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I am under 40 and know plenty of people that still use cable packages. Yes, there's a movement to do away with it, but for me, bundling internet with traditional cable using promotions is as cost effective as paying for a live tv streaming service and my wife needs her Bravo... My internet service with the current tier of speed would be much more expensive if I didn't also get cable. I don't think it's 95% dead for people under 40. Landlines? Those are 95%+ dead.
    cable subscriptions are decreasing at about 5-10% a year.

That said, the difference between young and old is not THAT stark:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tion-rate-usa/

Either way, banking on long-term contracts when your TAM decreases 25% every 5 years is a TERRIBLE investment.
    1200. DDMF.

Either way, banking on long-term contracts when your TAM decreases 25% every 5 years is a TERRIBLE investment.
    Agreed. But just relaying the rationale for current "geographic footprint" arguments. Even with streaming services, it's possible there are some regional offerings available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Agreed. But just relaying the rationale for current "geographic footprint" arguments. Even with streaming services, it's possible there are some regional offerings available.
    yes and no. I all but guarantee the end-game for conference networks is a fee per month for the conference's entire portfolio. That being the case, there is no regional relevancy. We're already moving in that direction, the question is only velocity. There is no incentive for the ACCN (or whichever) to *not* sell you the network becasue of where you live, or to therwise bundle it with another conference if they can charge you full fare on their own.
    1200. DDMF.

The cable cutting discussion raised a question for me that I don't know the answer to. I consistently see Duke putting out stats that our basketball social media following is the largest of any school in any sport. I assume that is being/can continue to be monetized. Is that a potential significant revenue stream? Is it enough to make Duke more attractive even in a football-centric reallignment. I'll hang up and listen.

Interesting tidbit from David Teel in the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

"Indeed, institutional fundraising, ticket sales and licensing comprise far more of the revenue discrepancies between ACC schools and their SEC and Big Ten peers than do conference distributions."

I presume he researched this point rather than shooting from the hip.

Also, I think the real revenue disparity that will matter most is NIL recruiting bribery through collectives (i.e., booster money paid for de minimus activity, such as signing autographs or showing up for a meet-and-greet). TV money can be spent only on stuff an recruit uses (e.g., video game rooms, fancy weight rooms). NIL money is used to pay the recruit. People like to get paid, and while it's not the only factor in choosing a job (ahem, a college), it's a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    Interesting tidbit from David Teel in the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

"Indeed, institutional fundraising, ticket sales and licensing comprise far more of the revenue discrepancies between ACC schools and their SEC and Big Ten peers than do conference distributions."

I presume he researched this point rather than shooting from the hip.

Also, I think the real revenue disparity that will matter most is NIL recruiting bribery through collectives (i.e., booster money paid for de minimus activity, such as signing autographs or showing up for a meet-and-greet). TV money can be spent only on stuff an recruit uses (e.g., video game rooms, fancy weight rooms). NIL money is used to pay the recruit. People like to get paid, and while it's not the only factor in choosing a job (ahem, a college), it's a big one.
    well, keep in mind that while the ACC is stuck with its current deal for quite some time, the B1G is on the verge of reaching a TV deal which will pay each member in the neighborhood of $100M per year, so the gap is going to widen a great deal, and soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    Also, I think the real revenue disparity that will matter most is NIL recruiting bribery.
    “Bribery”?? 😮

Sir, how dare you call a spade a spade! ♠️

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    “Bribery”?? 😮

Sir, how dare you call a spade a spade! ♠️
    Capitalists will Capitalize. 🙂

True but the cable companies just rate the price on the people who stick with cable to make the revenue back. Eventually they will raise the prices for internet to make the streamers cover costs. It has to be one of the few industries that raise prices AFTER losing customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    True but the cable companies just rate the price on the people who stick with cable to make the revenue back. Eventually they will raise the prices for internet to make the streamers cover costs. It has to be one of the few industries that raise prices AFTER losing customers.
    Sports markets matter because you could push those channels to the entire population of the city, instead of people who just cared about the team/school. Granny is paying 9$ a month fo sports channels so she can watch HGTV. At some point, the only subscribers left are the people who are sports fans, paying full price...so it doesn't matter if they're buying the cable package or streaming. Doesn't matter if they're in NYC or gary indiana. You're not amortizing the cost over the whole city anymore, just the sports fans, who you can stream it to.

Nothing against grannies who are huge sports fans. There are many.
    1200. DDMF.

Bumping this up to reference a discussion on the Devils Den sparked by a Steve Wiseman article. Nina King makes the point that football at Duke it critical to the success of the other 26 (?) sports...she says we need to have a seat at the table "relative to the ACC" which is polite way of saying (IMO) that we need to be prepared for whatever twists and turns realignment may present. "It s my job to make sure Duke is positioned really well to take advantage of the shifting landscape."

Which, again IMO, is another way of saying she doesn't have all her eggs in "The ACC is fine" basket.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Bumping this up to reference a discussion on the Devils Den sparked by a Steve Wiseman article. Nina King makes the point that football at Duke it critical to the success of the other 26 (?) sports...she says we need to have a seat at the table "relative to the ACC" which is polite way of saying (IMO) that we need to be prepared for whatever twists and turns realignment may present. "It s my job to make sure Duke is positioned really well to take advantage of the shifting landscape."

Which, again IMO, is another way of saying she doesn't have all her eggs in "The ACC is fine" basket.
    I wish these long periods of silence made me feel like the landscape was settling. But it definitely does not.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Here is a link and the full quote: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...263686783.html

It’s critically important,” King told The News & Observer. “We need to do well, so that we can have a seat at the table and really be a part of meaningful conversations relative to the ACC. We’re investing more, as we should be. And we’ll continue to kind of monitor the landscape. It’s my job to make sure that Duke is positioned really well to take advantage of the shifting landscape.
    I interpreted it to mean something slightly different and I focused on the first part more than the last. I read it as "nobody cares what Duke thinks about expansion even within our own conference because our football program is not relevant, so we need to change that so we can get a seat at the table for the discussions/planning." "Relative to the ACC" in that context is saying that we don't even really have a voice within our own conference in our current position (let alone nationally). At least that was my read.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Here is a link and the full quote: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...263686783.html

I interpreted it to mean something slightly different and I focused on the first part more than the last. I read it as "nobody cares what Duke thinks about expansion even within our own conference because our football program is not relevant, so we need to change that so we can get a seat at the table for the discussions/planning." "Relative to the ACC" in that context is saying that we don't even really have a voice within our own conference in our current position (let alone nationally). At least that was my read.
    Thanks! I can see that interpretation, but don't really agree, since I think the ACC is going to be increasingly irrelevant. I guess we'll see. To me, ACC expansion would be meaningless as there's nothing we can add that will improve our financial fortunes, pipe dreams of Notre Dame notwithstanding. We have a high stakes game of musical chairs and we need to improve our attractiveness for when the music stops...

Big 10 - More to Come?

Conference hints at possibility of adding more schools ….not sure there is a thing new here but interesting that he made the comments for public consumption..

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lue-conference

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Conference hints at possibility of adding more schools ….not sure there is a thing new here but interesting that he made the comments for public consumption..

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...lue-conference
    I expect he’s trying to freeze other conferences from making defensive moves. The PAC remains can’t move forward if UDub and Oregon are clinging to B1G hopes. It’s cynical and not in what any rational person would call the best interests of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I expect he’s trying to freeze other conferences from making defensive moves. The PAC remains can’t move forward if UDub and Oregon are clinging to B1G hopes. It’s cynical and not in what any rational person would call the best interests of college football.
    Yea. I think that I agree with you. It probably works, at least in the short-term.

https://twitter.com/flugempire

Been following this guy who was tweeting in March about USC and the Big Ten. Seems to have some legit source despite not being big or a checkmark insider. Source saying goal is Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford to start in 2024 but ND is the key to bring them on as a foursome. Believes ND will join before mid October, too much money coming in the next Big Ten deal and they lose leverage trying to join once in place. Big Ten would add semi-finals before the conference championship game as added revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    https://twitter.com/flugempire

Been following this guy who was tweeting in March about USC and the Big Ten. Seems to have some legit source despite not being big or a checkmark insider. Source saying goal is Notre Dame, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford to start in 2024 but ND is the key to bring them on as a foursome. Believes ND will join before mid October, too much money coming in the next Big Ten deal and they lose leverage trying to join once in place. Big Ten would add semi-finals before the conference championship game as added revenue stream.
    Seems this would be a very bad scenario for the ACC. Not quite as bad as losing UNC/Clemson/Miami/UVa, but it takes the remaining delectable options off the board AND seals up ND.

I have a difficult time not laughing when people present the case for Notre Dame to join the ACC - seems very unlikely.