Page 76 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No one here is apparently sympathetic to my view that Duke has more to offer rich conferences than just football.
    Given that there is no revenue sharing between medical centers, you're right, I'm just not seeing it.

No one here is apparently sympathetic to my view that Duke has more to offer rich conferences than just football.
    The big conferences already have their token rich private school (NW and Vandy). They don’t need another

Of note: the AAU has accepted Miami and Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Of note: the AAU has accepted Miami and Notre Dame.
    nebraska already in the b10 without being an AAU member, so i doubt

1) their joining the AAU was particularly related to B10
    2) it would move the needle much were they attempting to join ghte B10

I mean, maybe it's a cherry on top for miami to be the b10's chosen competitor on SEC's territory over fsu or clemson :shrug:
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    nebraska already in the b10 without being an AAU member, so i doubt

1) their joining the AAU was particularly related to B10
    2) it would move the needle much were they attempting to join ghte B10

I mean, maybe it's a cherry on top for miami to be the b10's chosen competitor on SEC's territory over fsu or clemson :shrug:
    fwiw Nebraska had been an AAU member until 2011, but they got ousted...I do think being an AAU member would be a major plus for any non member school, but agree that this move had anything to do with B10 membership, especially as it relates to ND.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    fwiw Nebraska had been an AAU member until 2011, but they got ousted...I do think being an AAU member would be a major plus for any non member school, but agree that this move had anything to do with B10 membership, especially as it relates to ND.
    I mostly agree re: ND, but I do think this makes adding Miami easier to swallow for Big10 purists, and that, in turn, would also make the Big10 more attractive to ND. A conference with USC, Miami, Purdue, Michigan, PSU, NW, etc. would have lots of NDs historic rivals. Add Stanford and Cal at the same time, and pretty hard for ND to remain an Abbey while the Dark Ages get darker.

True but their own new tv deal is very lucrative so I see no compelling reason to join a conference. They’ll have no problem scheduling top teams

Basic existential question: I understand why any ACC team would covet the higher payouts of the SEC and Big Ten, but why would the SEC, e.g., want Clemson or FSU or the Big Ten want UNC or UVa? Would these conferences end up with higher revenue per school? I wonder.

Like the stock market, conference realignment is being motivated by greed and fear.

Greed leads to the acquisition of shiny pennies at significant cost to natural rivalries, etc.

Fear leads the Big Macho SEC to stick with an 8 game conference schedule and the continued scheduling of non competitive games.

Basic existential question: I understand why any ACC team would covet the higher payouts of the SEC and Big Ten, but why would the SEC, e.g., want Clemson or FSU or the Big Ten want UNC or UVa? Would these conferences end up with higher revenue per school? I wonder.
    Good question. I suppose you could argue that Clemson would have bigger revenue from their SEC games than their annual ACC matchups, but how much more?

I don't think any conference is looking to expand at the EXPENSE of more schools splitting the pie.

Someone with a much greater knowledge than myself is running algorithms and permutations.

Not sure what's going on with the PAC12 TV negotiations but Colorado is in talks to return to the Big 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...eaving-pac-12/

Not sure if it's a one off or a sign of more movement to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Not sure what's going on with the PAC12 TV negotiations but Colorado is in talks to return to the Big 12.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...eaving-pac-12/

Not sure if it's a one off or a sign of more movement to come.
    I always assume any shift in the cosmos has the potential to cause a cascade. I think there are lots of moves waiting in the wings for a precipitating event or small excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I mostly agree re: ND, but I do think this makes adding Miami easier to swallow for Big10 purists, and that, in turn, would also make the Big10 more attractive to ND. A conference with USC, Miami, Purdue, Michigan, PSU, NW, etc. would have lots of NDs historic rivals. Add Stanford and Cal at the same time, and pretty hard for ND to remain an Abbey while the Dark Ages get darker.
    Southern Cal, Michigan and Navy - in that order - are the only rivalries that really matter to the ND faithful. And Navy is mostly out of tradition.

Stanford arose as a means to get an annual West Coast game for alumni and recruiting, but the on-field rivalry means little. The Irish have certainly had some great battles with Penn State and Miami, but most of those are in the distant past now. And any "rivalry" with IU, Purdue, NW, etc. is mostly if entirely in the eyes of those fans, not ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Good question. I suppose you could argue that Clemson would have bigger revenue from their SEC games than their annual ACC matchups, but how much more?

I don't think any conference is looking to expand at the EXPENSE of more schools splitting the pie.

Someone with a much greater knowledge than myself is running algorithms and permutations.
    But my question is, what's in it for the SEC?

But my question is, what's in it for the SEC?
    wider geographic footprint. obviously that would mean miami/clemson would be LESS desirable to the SEC than the B10.
    April 1

wider geographic footprint. obviously that would mean miami/clemson would be LESS desirable to the SEC than the B10.
    But it still needs to bring an average of more $$$ than the existing markets to compensate for the smaller pie slices.

But it still needs to bring an average of more $$$ than the existing markets to compensate for the smaller pie slices.
    in general, yes, but there is also an intrinsic benefit to being viewed as a national rather than regional conference. whether that's enough, i don't know, but at the very least, there's less canibalization.
    April 1

in general, yes, but there is also an intrinsic benefit to being viewed as a national rather than regional conference. whether that's enough, i don't know, but at the very least, there's less canibalization.
    I absolutely could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the perception would be worth a decrease in revenue.

Again, I suspect the perceived value increase would be that Clemson games versus Aurburn, Alabama, LSU would be a marked increase in eyeballs and dollar signs compared to Wake Forest and NC State. That would be a reason to be bullish on the upward value.

I absolutely could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the perception would be worth a decrease in revenue.

Again, I suspect the perceived value increase would be that Clemson games versus Aurburn, Alabama, LSU would be a marked increase in eyeballs and dollar signs compared to Wake Forest and NC State. That would be a reason to be bullish on the upward value.
    yes, it gets complicated. Clemson could well add money to the big pie, but as we've all mentioned before, we may be nearing peak TV revenue...tv contracts might actually be less lucrative in the future, it all depends on ratings for ESPN and the other networks...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yes, it gets complicated. Clemson could well add money to the big pie, but as we've all mentioned before, we may be nearing peak TV revenue...tv contracts might actually be less lucrative in the future, it all depends on ratings for ESPN and the other networks...
    Fair point. At some point it becomes a zero sum game, unless the idea is that MORE people become college football fans and that the increase in eyeballs comes from more than "people who will watch Clemson/Wake plus people who will watch Auburn/Vandy equals people who will watch Clemson/Auburn."