Page 1 of 125 1231151101 ... LastLast

Conference Realignment 2022-23

Seeing a lot of chatter on twitter that Gonzaga is going to announce it will join the Big East soon. That would only add to a hell of a conference for basketball. I wonder if other teams will be joining or just the 'Zags.

Seems like a conference realignment thread is in order for this summer. Here we go again...

That would be good for Gonzaga. They desperately need more pressure games in January and February.

Not going to debate the geography of Washington state being "East."

Could be time for some rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That would be good for Gonzaga. They desperately need more pressure games in January and February.

Not going to debate the geography of Washington state being "East."

Could be time for some rebranding.
    I guess it's east of the Pacific Ocean.

A better conference could certainly help the Zags.

My hot take is that this won't help Gonzaga in the NCAAT. They are already one of the most successful programs in March. This is about money and relevance during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My hot take is that this won't help Gonzaga in the NCAAT. They are already one of the most successful programs in March. This is about money and relevance during the regular season.
    It's 100% just about money. Any other benefits are just happy coincidences. That's just how college sports, or rather the world, works now. Money/profitability isn't the primary factor, it's the ONLY factor.

Oh my! I wonder if the Big East adopts the PAC-12 scheduling. Where pair's of team travel to play two other paired schools on a given weekend -- i.e. like UConn/Prov playing Gonzaga/Creighton

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Oh my! I wonder if the Big East adopts the PAC-12 scheduling. Where pair's of team travel to play two other paired schools on a given weekend -- i.e. like UConn/Prov playing Gonzaga/Creighton
    yeah. question now is how far behind is st. mary's
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yep, it would be nice for them to be ranked 1st and actually be able to prove they are worthy for more than half their season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

big east?

well it certainly won't be the little east anymore...

Question is which is worse, their definition of east? The ACC's definition of "atlantic cost" or the B1G's definition of "10"
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Seeing a lot of chatter on twitter that Gonzaga is going to announce it will join the Big East soon. That would only add to a hell of a conference for basketball. I wonder if other teams will be joining or just the 'Zags.

Seems like a conference realignment thread is in order for this summer. Here we go again...
    Sounds like that would create some real jet lag problems. Do Zags fans want all their conference games, home and away, starting at 6:00 on the West Coast because that's what it will have to be? The students would miss a lot more classes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yep, it would be nice for them to be ranked 1st and actually be able to prove they are worthy for more than half their season.
    I expect this to go in a slightly different direction, but time will tell. The Zags are going to get beat up in league play.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Sounds like that would create some real jet lag problems. Do Zags fans want all their conference games, home and away, starting at 6:00 on the West Coast because that's what it will have to be? The students would miss a lot more classes.
    having lived on the west coast for a bit, games starting in the afternoon/early evening is a god-send. I assume they would give them the late game during the week, so at least home games are starting at 7.

But god, if I never had to endure another 9 or 930 start for duke, i would not be upset.
    1200. DDMF.

I vaguely recall San Diego St wanting to join the Big East. They then looked into the budget for their non-revenue sports and the cost of road trips to the east coast and abandoned the idea.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I feel like Gonzaga would make more sense in the American. First, the conference name doesn't bring with it geographic connotations. Second, they're already arguably the "next" conference after the Power 5 plus Big East. Third, its members are already sufficiently spread out across the country that adding the West Coast wouldn't be shocking.

That said, that's pure speculation on my part, and probably won't happen since the American also has a major football component, which the Big East lacks. But man it would be weird to see the Zags in the Big East.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Question is which is worse, their definition of east? The ACC's definition of "atlantic cost" or the B1G's definition of "10"
    Time for a new name/rebranding - how about the “Big Country” conference? Perhaps this is good for Gonzaga for money reasons and also for stronger regular season competition…but, Spokane isn’t exactly close to most all of the other Big East schools.

For this reason, I’ve thought that W. Virginia in the Big 12 doesn’t make any sense. All about the almighty $$$…

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Gotta go with the Big Can't Count on this one.

Big American Conference

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    Time for a new name/rebranding - how about the “Big Country” conference?
    I can tell you who they should be required to hire as commissioner of the "Big Country" conference:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    My first thought as well. That’s a heckuva lot of travel miles to log - unless the Big East was also planning to add more schools on the West Coast.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The rest of the conference does lend itself to this model

DePaul/Marquette
    Butler/Xavier
    Georgetown/Villanova
    St John's/Seton Hall
    Providence/UConn

All but Gonzaga/Creighton are short (<2 hours) bus rides apart