Page 78 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2490
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Here you go. I did this a while ago, so I don't remember exactly where I got the numbers (probably Wikipedia).
    Color me surprised that Rutgers is the largest!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Color me surprised that Rutgers is the largest!
    As I mentioned, I dug these numbers up a while ago. I seem to recall that the numbers were different depending on the source. For example, I apparently found a different source which listed the 100 largest colleges based on the number full time undergrads. Here's how the Big Ten and ACC schools stacked up on that list.

If these are correct, it appears that Rutgers has a disproportionate number of part time students compared to the other schools.

Rank College FT Undergrad
    3 Ohio State University 41,117
    4 Penn State 39,520
    9 Michigan State University 35,645
    10 Rutgers University 33,392
    11 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 31,989
    12 Indiana University - Bloomington 31,728
    17 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities 29,168
    18 University of California - Los Angeles 29,004
    21 Purdue University 28,682
    22 University of Wisconsin 28,555
    29 University of Michigan - Ann Arbor 27,258
    39 University of Maryland - College Park 25,410
    69 University of Iowa 19,911
    78 University of Nebraska - Lincoln 18,817
    91 University of Southern California 18,208
    16 Florida State University 29,185
    45 Virginia Tech 24,841
    58 North Carolina State University 21,023
    97 University of Pittsburgh 17,887
    100 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 17,645

Here you go. I did this a while ago, so I don't remember exactly where I got the numbers (probably Wikipedia).

Big Ten School Undergrads ACC School Undergrads
    Rutgers University 49,359 Florida State University 33,486
    Ohio State University 47,106 Virginia Tech 29,300
    Penn State 39,809 NC State University 25,973
    Michigan State University 39,176 Clemson University 20,195
    Purdue University 37,101 University of North Carolina 19,743
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 34,559 University of Pittsburgh 19,200
    Indiana University - Bloomington 34,253 University of Virginia 17,011
    University of Wisconsin 33,506 Georgia Tech University 16,651
    University of California - Los Angeles 32,121 University of Louisville 15,641
    University of Michigan - Ann Arbor 31,329 Syracuse University 14,479
    University of Maryland - College Park 30,762 Boston College 9,445
    University of Minnesota - Twin Cities 30,734 Notre Dame 8,731
    University of Iowa 21,608 University of Miami 7,007
    University of Southern California 20,790 Duke University 6,789
    University of Nebraska - Lincoln 19,552 Wake Forest University 5,441
    Northwestern 8,327
    Total 510,092 Total 249,092
    Median 32,814 Median 16,651
    Hey, thanks for doing that! My guess was correct, Big 10 schools roughly twice as large, only one ACC school hits the Big 10 median. Tremendous market dominance in their area, lots of ensuing TV money.
    Also worth mentioning (again) that AAU membership is a huge plus for that league, only Nebraska isn't a member (but once was).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This as good of a place as any, given how often ND is brought up in this thread.

Notre Dame's AD is stepping down, and being replaced by NBC Sports chairman Pet Bevacqua. Given ND's football contract with the Irish, isn't this just cozy?

Longtime Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick is stepping down next year and will be replaced by NBC Sports Chairman Pete Bevacqua, the school announced Thursday.

Bevacqua will leave NBC Sports at the end of the month to begin the transition at Notre Dame as special assistant to the president for athletics, ultimately replacing Swarbrick in the first quarter of 2024.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suppose that "positioning themselves as the more academically minded" of the power conferences is a PR move to justify some perceived disappointment.

But I could be wrong. Perhaps they truly value scholastic endeavors over football strength and $$$.
    Can you clarify what you mean by PR move to justify some perceived disappointment? Do you mean that the list is a PR move to rationalize why they were unable to add Clemson and FSU? Or do you mean a PR move to rationalize why the SEC ultimately becomes the better football conference?

The latter makes some sense to me. I can imagine a world where the SEC outperforms the Big Ten on the football field, but the Big Ten tries to compete by branding themselves the more serious academic conference. No, I don't think the Big Ten has had an epiphany and now values scholastic endeavors over football strength, but this list may be a nugget of evidence that academics and/or basketball may not be entirely irrelevant to the Big Ten.

Either way, I'd be curious to better understand why the Big Ten "vetted" Duke, Ga Tech, UVA, Cal, and Stanford and not several Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC schools which consistently get better TV ratings.

Can you clarify what you mean by PR move to justify some perceived disappointment? Do you mean that the list is a PR move to rationalize why they were unable to add Clemson and FSU? Or do you mean a PR move to rationalize why the SEC ultimately becomes the better football conference?

The latter makes some sense to me. I can imagine a world where the SEC outperforms the Big Ten on the football field, but the Big Ten tries to compete by branding themselves the more serious academic conference. No, I don't think the Big Ten has had an epiphany and now values scholastic endeavors over football strength, but this list may be a nugget of evidence that academics and/or basketball may not be entirely irrelevant to the Big Ten.

Either way, I'd be curious to better understand why the Big Ten "vetted" Duke, Ga Tech, UVA, Cal, and Stanford and not several Big 12, PAC 12 and ACC schools which consistently get better TV ratings.
    Cal and Stanford don't surprise me, great schools in a large market...but I am surprised in a good way that Duke and VA are being at least looked at...of course with the Twerps and Rutgers, their current footprint isn't that far away ...

I guess I'm being cynical and seeing as a convenient justification for not going for the schools that add football value. "Oh, FSU? No, Duke and UVa are much more on brand."

Something about sour grapes.

Big Ten School Undergrads ACC School Undergrads
    Rutgers University 49,359 Florida State University 33,486
    Ohio State University 47,106 Virginia Tech 29,300
    Penn State 39,809 NC State University 25,973
    Michigan State University 39,176 Clemson University 20,195
    Purdue University 37,101 University of North Carolina 19,743
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 34,559 University of Pittsburgh 19,200
    Indiana University - Bloomington 34,253 University of Virginia 17,011
    University of Wisconsin 33,506 Georgia Tech University 16,651
    University of California - Los Angeles 32,121 University of Louisville 15,641
    University of Michigan - Ann Arbor 31,329 Syracuse University 14,479
    University of Maryland - College Park 30,762 Boston College 9,445
    University of Minnesota - Twin Cities 30,734 Notre Dame 8,731
    University of Iowa 21,608 University of Miami 7,007
    University of Southern California 20,790 Duke University 6,789
    University of Nebraska - Lincoln 19,552 Wake Forest University 5,441
    Northwestern 8,327
    Total 510,092 Total 249,092
    Median 32,814 Median 16,651
    That's good research. I didn't audit the list, but the U. Miami number is significantly higher: it has 12,000 undergrads.

It also has about 7000 grad students. I realize sports loyalty is mainly to one's undergrad school, but grad school builds some bond and puts some fannies in stadia. In estimating TV eyeballs, I would include grad students with a 50% discount.

I suppose that "positioning themselves as the more academically minded" of the power conferences is a PR move to justify some perceived disappointment.

But I could be wrong. Perhaps they truly value scholastic endeavors over football strength and $$$.
    The universities have multiple masters -- not just the athletics-mad alumni or the AD looking for a bigger paycheck. Academics in many places are important enough to affect conference selection, esp. when the decision-makers are university presidents and board chairs not just the AD and coaches.

When Miami joined the ACC, president Donna Shalala expressed satisfaction that Miami was associating with its "peer group" of schools.

I guess I'm being cynical and seeing as a convenient justification for not going for the schools that add football value. "Oh, FSU? No, Duke and UVa are much more on brand."

Something about sour grapes.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I don’t have a good sense whether the Big Ten or SEC is considered the more attractive conference destination. The SEC seems to be ahead in terms of football quality, but the Big Ten is probably ahead by most other relevant other measures.

Texas and UCLA seem like the two biggest prizes in the most recent round of expansion. One chose the SEC and the other choose the Big Ten. Not sure what to make of that.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don’t have a good sense whether the Big Ten or SEC is considered the more attractive conference destination. The SEC seems to be ahead in terms of football quality, but the Big Ten is probably ahead by most other relevant other measures.

Texas and UCLA seem like the two biggest prizes in the most recent round of expansion. One chose the SEC and the other choose the Big Ten. Not sure what to make of that.

Pretty sure the Big Ten recruited USC (big football brand and a Rose Bowl rival), and USC said "yes, but only if UCLA can come with".

Quote Originally Posted by dlmzzz View Post
    Pretty sure the Big Ten recruited USC (big football brand and a Rose Bowl rival), and USC said "yes, but only if UCLA can come with".
    Moreover, Texas and Oklahoma were coupled together in going to the SEC.

BYU's move to the Big XII is off to a rocky start...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun...football-field

As I mentioned, I dug these numbers up a while ago. I seem to recall that the numbers were different depending on the source. For example, I apparently found a different source which listed the 100 largest colleges based on the number full time undergrads. Here's how the Big Ten and ACC schools stacked up on that list.

If these are correct, it appears that Rutgers has a disproportionate number of part time students compared to the other schools.

Rank College FT Undergrad
    3 Ohio State University 41,117
    4 Penn State 39,520
    9 Michigan State University 35,645
    10 Rutgers University 33,392
    11 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 31,989
    12 Indiana University - Bloomington 31,728
    17 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities 29,168
    18 University of California - Los Angeles 29,004
    21 Purdue University 28,682
    22 University of Wisconsin 28,555
    29 University of Michigan - Ann Arbor 27,258
    39 University of Maryland - College Park 25,410
    69 University of Iowa 19,911
    78 University of Nebraska - Lincoln 18,817
    91 University of Southern California 18,208
    16 Florida State University 29,185
    45 Virginia Tech 24,841
    58 North Carolina State University 21,023
    97 University of Pittsburgh 17,887
    100 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 17,645
    Interesting stuff.

It's fascinating that some states decided to consolidate their resources when it comes to higher education. I'm sure there are historical reasons, and I'm guessing they had little to do with building college football fanbases. North Carolina certainly went with a different approach. NC is the 9th biggest state by population and has 18 Division I universities; only CA, NY, and TX have more. NC has 7 schools that play FBS football; only TX and OH have more. NC has 14 schools that play Division I football (FBS or FCS); only TX has more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Interesting stuff.

It's fascinating that some states decided to consolidate their resources when it comes to higher education. I'm sure there are historical reasons, and I'm guessing they had little to do with building college football fanbases. North Carolina certainly went with a different approach. NC is the 9th biggest state by population and has 18 Division I universities; only CA, NY, and TX have more. NC has 7 schools that play FBS football; only TX and OH have more. NC has 14 schools that play Division I football (FBS or FCS); only TX has more.
    Note that the largest schools tend to be in cold weather areas. Historically they probably needed to huddle together for warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Note that the largest schools tend to be in cold weather areas. Historically they probably needed to huddle together for warmth.
    Maybe that huddling was for a different reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Interesting stuff.

land grant universities. unc predates that, i believe.

The extreme case is Wyoming, pop. 580,000 (50th). It is the only four-year college in the entire state. The state U. is in Laramie and has an undergrad enrollment of 8,900 (total is 12,600).

So, how legit might this be? Has FSU figured out a way to crack the GOR code?

Florida State's attempt to exit the Atlantic Coast Conference is reportedly gaining momentum. The rumors of the Seminoles' plan to leave the conference started last week, but how the university would navigate its binding contract with the ACC wasn't known then.

However, the latest reports suggest the university will arrange a buyout. According to college football insider Greg Swaim, Florida State will negotiate a $300 million buyout to exit the ACC. This will be the most expensive conference exit in the history of college sports.
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-...en-sec-reports

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So, how legit might this be? Has FSU figured out a way to crack the GOR code?

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-...en-sec-reports
    I'm not very in touch with the latest reputable news sites, so pardon my ignorance. Is Sportskeeda a reliable source?

- Chillin