Page 70 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2490
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I’m a casual fan of women’s sports. It’s not an accident that women’s athletic scholarships match men’s. I’m confident that, if UConn cut football, they would also cut women’s sports or scholarships accordingly. So while there is much gained by those sports, it probably isn’t worth their costs outside of title 9. So UConn would then be like other Big East schools in that regard which would be appropriate.
    With THE premiere program in women's basketball, I'm not sure UCONN is the best school to use for your example. (Also, UCONN went bowling last year, and it wouldn't be a stretch to see them do it again. Hopefully Duke won't help them with that this September.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hear ya. My personal view is that the ACC is in peril, because the name football schools who essentially drive the TV revenue are getting antsy about missing out on Big 10/SEC money. So I think Duke needs to be proactive and IS proactive...this is why (IMO) Nina has paid so much attention to resuscitating Duke football (for which she gets a grade A)...the way things are moving, I'd be pretty happy about Duke being in the Big 10, frankly. There's no use pining for the old ACC which most of us thoroughly enjoyed...the Big 10 is chock full of good academic schools and Duke would fit in well. Do we have appeal to them? I suspect/fear that UVA and unc probably do...Oregon and Washington want in badly, Stanford and Cal would also be logical fits, all these schools bringing in theoretically large TV audiences.

I'd like to know more about Duke's NIL abilities...we've got some alums with dough, too...just have no idea what Nina's thinking is on this...
    The B1G would be an overwhelming win for Duke athletics even with a reduced distribution. I just don’t get the warm and fuzzy they’d take us. I suspect more realignment quakes will take place in next couple of years and our destiny much clearer.

I certainly don’t expect the ACC to manage their losses vey well.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Right, no it all makes sense. But see, you seem to be missing that I’m selfish and only care about Duke football. MBB is just the lifeboat that may get me off the Titanic that is the ACC
    Oh, we're all selfish in different ways. But Duke doesn't care about losing you as a fan. Or me. Or any other individual.

At least not when lined up against 7, 8, or 9 figure incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With THE premiere program in women's basketball, I'm not sure UCONN is the best school to use for your example. (Also, UCONN went bowling last year, and it wouldn't be a stretch to see them do it again. Hopefully Duke won't help them with that this September.)
    UConn was the example because they are in the Big East but independent in Football. Apparently the athletic dept is in the red or nearly so. It’s possible that their football team is profitable even if it’s not making power conference money. Of course UConn will continue to have both men’s and women’s basketball. But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other women’s teams and reduce around 85 women’s scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they weren’t matching the 85 men’s scholarships for DIV 1 football.

UConn was the example because they are in the Big East but independent in Football. Apparently the athletic dept is in the red or nearly so. It’s possible that their football team is profitable even if it’s not making power conference money. Of course UConn will continue to have both men’s and women’s basketball. But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other women’s teams and reduce around 85 women’s scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they weren’t matching the 85 men’s scholarships for DIV 1 football.
    I don't think UConn football is going anywhere. Though it is interesting that they have women's cross country, lacrosse, rowing, swimming & diving, and tennis without the male equivalent. Also interesting is that they have men's golf but no women's golf. They have seven men's sports and 12 women's.

But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other women’s teams and reduce around 85 women’s scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they weren’t matching the 85 men’s scholarships for DIV 1 football.
    You know, I don't think it's a two-way street. Women's athletics in college are here to stay, even if developing only over the past 25 years.

I could categorize your statement with more acidity, but I think you meant well.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You know, I don't think it's a two-way street. Women's athletics in college are here to stay, even if developing only over the past 25 years.

I could categorize your statement with more acidity, but I think you meant well.
    I really meant neither ill nor well. The hypothetical was a D1 athletic department having financial struggles and cutting their non P5 football program to right the ship. To be clear, idk if that even makes financial sense for UConn. But, in that hypothetical situation, I think corresponding cuts to women’s athletics would be expected. At Uconn, it’s very unlikely that women’s basketball would be one on the programs cut.

I fail to see the controversy in keeping the male and female scholarship numbers even. I mean it’s possible that they would add another men’s sport and offer full scholarships for baseball instead of 1/2 scholarships, as is the norm for non-revenue men’s sports (but not women’s) when there is a football program. But since the point being discussed was cutting costs, I doubt it.

Honestly, for the good of college sports, the P5 should just negotiate as a collective and split it all evenly. Yeah, it’s good for the Dukes and Wakes and BCs, and bad for the OSUs and UGAs and Bamas, but it’s just gonna kill college athletics when there are two conferences and everyone else, and the power within those two conferences is highly concentrated in 10 schools max (OSU, maybe USC, maybe UM, maybe PSU in the BIG, and UGA, Bama, UT-A, LSU, maybe A&M, maybe UF in the SEC).

I know, least hot take ever. I’m just mad

Honestly, for the good of college sports, the P5 should just negotiate as a collective and split it all evenly. Yeah, it’s good for the Dukes and Wakes and BCs, and bad for the OSUs and UGAs and Bamas, but it’s just gonna kill college athletics when there are two conferences and everyone else, and the power within those two conferences is highly concentrated in 10 schools max (OSU, maybe USC, maybe UM, maybe PSU in the BIG, and UGA, Bama, UT-A, LSU, maybe A&M, maybe UF in the SEC).

I know, least hot take ever. I’m just mad
    I agree with you.

Also, the Premier League is even more lucrative and even more concentrated, though. I don’t think it will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I agree with you.

Also, the Premier League is even more lucrative and even more concentrated, though. I don’t think it will stop.
    Soccer is the only game in town for England though. Doesn’t work as well when you have alternatives (especially when an alternative is that same sport at a different level)

Soccer is the only game in town for England though. Doesn’t work as well when you have alternatives (especially when an alternative is that same sport at a different level)
    darts? snooker? formula 1? cricket?

c'mon. don't sell those short!
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    darts? snooker? formula 1? cricket?

c'mon. don't sell those short!
    Cricket and rugby

Thought this might be the best home for an insightful piece on the state of college sports by DeCock: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...273780265.html

Just in case the ACC wanted to expand to 16 basketball teams...

NCAA Men's Tournament Champions

1983: NC State
    1993: UNC
    2003: Syracuse (joined ACC in 2013)
    2013: Louisville (joined ACC in 2014)
    2023: Connecticut (?)

The ACC was founded in May 1953. Clearly Duke blew it in 1963 (Final Four semifinal), then Maryland in 1973 (regional final).

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

The ACC was founded in May 1953. Clearly Duke blew it in 1963 (Final Four semifinal), then Maryland in 1973 (regional final).
    I can't tell if this is insightful or a witty joke, but I'm definitely missing the punchline.

It’s an interesting pattern. Years ending in 3 if you’re the champ then you’re either IN the ACC or you join the ACC (53 and 63 were just mistakes)
    Edit: THEREFORE UConn will be joining us. It’s the rule

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    It’s an interesting pattern. Years ending in 3 if you’re the champ then you’re either IN the ACC or you join the ACC (53 and 63 were just mistakes)
    Edit: THEREFORE UConn will be joining us. It’s the rule
    Thanks for spelling it out for us idjits.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Syracuse, Louisville are examples of buying high. The ACC did it in football by adding Miami and VaTech. By all means, go get CT.

I have ongoing admiration for Boston College for essentially blackballing UCONN from the ACC. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Thread title is outdated, but it seems there's still irons in the fire.

Self proclaimed "College Football Insider" Brett McMurphy (270k followers) says that "Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools" looking to break the GOR deal and find greener pastures.
    Let's go Duke!