Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1502
  1. #1381
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Iím a casual fan of womenís sports. Itís not an accident that womenís athletic scholarships match menís. Iím confident that, if UConn cut football, they would also cut womenís sports or scholarships accordingly. So while there is much gained by those sports, it probably isnít worth their costs outside of title 9. So UConn would then be like other Big East schools in that regard which would be appropriate.
    With THE premiere program in women's basketball, I'm not sure UCONN is the best school to use for your example. (Also, UCONN went bowling last year, and it wouldn't be a stretch to see them do it again. Hopefully Duke won't help them with that this September.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  2. #1382
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hear ya. My personal view is that the ACC is in peril, because the name football schools who essentially drive the TV revenue are getting antsy about missing out on Big 10/SEC money. So I think Duke needs to be proactive and IS proactive...this is why (IMO) Nina has paid so much attention to resuscitating Duke football (for which she gets a grade A)...the way things are moving, I'd be pretty happy about Duke being in the Big 10, frankly. There's no use pining for the old ACC which most of us thoroughly enjoyed...the Big 10 is chock full of good academic schools and Duke would fit in well. Do we have appeal to them? I suspect/fear that UVA and unc probably do...Oregon and Washington want in badly, Stanford and Cal would also be logical fits, all these schools bringing in theoretically large TV audiences.

    I'd like to know more about Duke's NIL abilities...we've got some alums with dough, too...just have no idea what Nina's thinking is on this...
    The B1G would be an overwhelming win for Duke athletics even with a reduced distribution. I just donít get the warm and fuzzy theyíd take us. I suspect more realignment quakes will take place in next couple of years and our destiny much clearer.

    I certainly donít expect the ACC to manage their losses vey well.

  3. #1383
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Right, no it all makes sense. But see, you seem to be missing that Iím selfish and only care about Duke football. MBB is just the lifeboat that may get me off the Titanic that is the ACC
    Oh, we're all selfish in different ways. But Duke doesn't care about losing you as a fan. Or me. Or any other individual.

    At least not when lined up against 7, 8, or 9 figure incomes.

  4. #1384
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With THE premiere program in women's basketball, I'm not sure UCONN is the best school to use for your example. (Also, UCONN went bowling last year, and it wouldn't be a stretch to see them do it again. Hopefully Duke won't help them with that this September.)
    UConn was the example because they are in the Big East but independent in Football. Apparently the athletic dept is in the red or nearly so. Itís possible that their football team is profitable even if itís not making power conference money. Of course UConn will continue to have both menís and womenís basketball. But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other womenís teams and reduce around 85 womenís scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they werenít matching the 85 menís scholarships for DIV 1 football.

  5. #1385
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    UConn was the example because they are in the Big East but independent in Football. Apparently the athletic dept is in the red or nearly so. Itís possible that their football team is profitable even if itís not making power conference money. Of course UConn will continue to have both menís and womenís basketball. But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other womenís teams and reduce around 85 womenís scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they werenít matching the 85 menís scholarships for DIV 1 football.
    I don't think UConn football is going anywhere. Though it is interesting that they have women's cross country, lacrosse, rowing, swimming & diving, and tennis without the male equivalent. Also interesting is that they have men's golf but no women's golf. They have seven men's sports and 12 women's.

  6. #1386
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    But, if they decided to cut football, they would almost certainly cut several other womenís teams and reduce around 85 womenís scholarships. Because they likely would not have had those teams to begin with if they werenít matching the 85 menís scholarships for DIV 1 football.
    You know, I don't think it's a two-way street. Women's athletics in college are here to stay, even if developing only over the past 25 years.

    I could categorize your statement with more acidity, but I think you meant well.

  7. #1387
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You know, I don't think it's a two-way street. Women's athletics in college are here to stay, even if developing only over the past 25 years.

    I could categorize your statement with more acidity, but I think you meant well.
    I really meant neither ill nor well. The hypothetical was a D1 athletic department having financial struggles and cutting their non P5 football program to right the ship. To be clear, idk if that even makes financial sense for UConn. But, in that hypothetical situation, I think corresponding cuts to womenís athletics would be expected. At Uconn, itís very unlikely that womenís basketball would be one on the programs cut.

    I fail to see the controversy in keeping the male and female scholarship numbers even. I mean itís possible that they would add another menís sport and offer full scholarships for baseball instead of 1/2 scholarships, as is the norm for non-revenue menís sports (but not womenís) when there is a football program. But since the point being discussed was cutting costs, I doubt it.

  8. #1388
    Honestly, for the good of college sports, the P5 should just negotiate as a collective and split it all evenly. Yeah, itís good for the Dukes and Wakes and BCs, and bad for the OSUs and UGAs and Bamas, but itís just gonna kill college athletics when there are two conferences and everyone else, and the power within those two conferences is highly concentrated in 10 schools max (OSU, maybe USC, maybe UM, maybe PSU in the BIG, and UGA, Bama, UT-A, LSU, maybe A&M, maybe UF in the SEC).

    I know, least hot take ever. Iím just mad

  9. #1389
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    The People's Republic of Travis County
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Honestly, for the good of college sports, the P5 should just negotiate as a collective and split it all evenly. Yeah, itís good for the Dukes and Wakes and BCs, and bad for the OSUs and UGAs and Bamas, but itís just gonna kill college athletics when there are two conferences and everyone else, and the power within those two conferences is highly concentrated in 10 schools max (OSU, maybe USC, maybe UM, maybe PSU in the BIG, and UGA, Bama, UT-A, LSU, maybe A&M, maybe UF in the SEC).

    I know, least hot take ever. Iím just mad
    I agree with you.

    Also, the Premier League is even more lucrative and even more concentrated, though. I donít think it will stop.

  10. #1390
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I agree with you.

    Also, the Premier League is even more lucrative and even more concentrated, though. I donít think it will stop.
    Soccer is the only game in town for England though. Doesnít work as well when you have alternatives (especially when an alternative is that same sport at a different level)

  11. #1391
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Soccer is the only game in town for England though. Doesnít work as well when you have alternatives (especially when an alternative is that same sport at a different level)
    darts? snooker? formula 1? cricket?

    c'mon. don't sell those short!
    1200. DDMF.

  12. #1392
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    darts? snooker? formula 1? cricket?

    c'mon. don't sell those short!
    Cricket and rugby

  13. #1393
    Thought this might be the best home for an insightful piece on the state of college sports by DeCock: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.new...273780265.html

  14. #1394
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Just in case the ACC wanted to expand to 16 basketball teams...

    NCAA Men's Tournament Champions

    1983: NC State
    1993: UNC
    2003: Syracuse (joined ACC in 2013)
    2013: Louisville (joined ACC in 2014)
    2023: Connecticut (?)

    The ACC was founded in May 1953. Clearly Duke blew it in 1963 (Final Four semifinal), then Maryland in 1973 (regional final).

  15. #1395
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Just in case the ACC wanted to expand to 16 basketball teams...

    NCAA Men's Tournament Champions

    1983: NC State
    1993: UNC
    2003: Syracuse (joined ACC in 2013)
    2013: Louisville (joined ACC in 2014)
    2023: Connecticut (?)

    The ACC was founded in May 1953. Clearly Duke blew it in 1963 (Final Four semifinal), then Maryland in 1973 (regional final).
    I can't tell if this is insightful or a witty joke, but I'm definitely missing the punchline.

  16. #1396
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Itís an interesting pattern. Years ending in 3 if youíre the champ then youíre either IN the ACC or you join the ACC (53 and 63 were just mistakes)
    Edit: THEREFORE UConn will be joining us. Itís the rule

  17. #1397
    Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Itís an interesting pattern. Years ending in 3 if youíre the champ then youíre either IN the ACC or you join the ACC (53 and 63 were just mistakes)
    Edit: THEREFORE UConn will be joining us. Itís the rule
    Thanks for spelling it out for us idjits.

  18. #1398
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Just in case the ACC wanted to expand to 16 basketball teams...

    NCAA Men's Tournament Champions

    1983: NC State
    1993: UNC
    2003: Syracuse (joined ACC in 2013)
    2013: Louisville (joined ACC in 2014)
    2023: Connecticut (?)

    The ACC was founded in May 1953. Clearly Duke blew it in 1963 (Final Four semifinal), then Maryland in 1973 (regional final).

    Syracuse, Louisville are examples of buying high. The ACC did it in football by adding Miami and VaTech. By all means, go get CT.

  19. #1399
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    I have ongoing admiration for Boston College for essentially blackballing UCONN from the ACC. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

  20. #1400
    Thread title is outdated, but it seems there's still irons in the fire.

    Self proclaimed "College Football Insider" Brett McMurphy (270k followers) says that "Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are ďThe Magnificent 7Ē ACC schools" looking to break the GOR deal and find greener pastures.
    Let's go Duke!

Similar Threads

  1. Conference Realignment - Not Dead Yet
    By ChillinDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM
  2. The Conference Realignment Vigil- Update: Terps to Big10?
    By A-Tex Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2015
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM
  3. Baseball Realignment
    By SoCalDukeFan in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 11:36 PM
  4. Big East Realignment
    By johnb in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM
  5. NCAA Conference Realignment
    By A-Tex Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •