Page 63 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Thanks for the article. I didn’t know about this.

“ Plus, a clause in Notre Dame's deal with the ACC would require it to join that league if it decides to give up football independence. That deal runs through 2036.”
    In all of this I see lots of employment opportunities for lawyers.

Edit: lawyer discussion moved to OT
    -jk
    Last edited by -jk; 08-13-2022 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Misdirection

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, let's talk about other candidates...

Big East - only 11 teams. Gotta get closer to the ACC's 15 to make the challenge really work.
    Big 12 - only 12 current teams. They will be going to 16 from 2023 until 2025 and then drop down to 14. This could maybe work though the flux in that conference seems somewhat unwieldy.
    SEC - Currently 14. Going to 16 when Ok and Tx join in 2025. Seems like a good candidate and the similar regionality would seem to create some fun matchups.
    Pac 12 - Currently 12 members. USC and UCLA leave in 2024. In its current makeup, this isn't a good fit.

If the Challenge is going to continue, it has to be with the SEC.
    I believe the Big 12 currently has 10, not 12. It will go to 14 then fall back to 12.
    Last edited by LeadingEdge; 08-14-2022 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    I believe the Big 12 currently has 10, not 12. It will go to 14 then fall back to 12.
    Yes, after OU and UT leave and the four newbies join, the Big XII will actually have 12 schools for the first time since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Yes, after OU and UT leave and the four newbies join, the Big XII will actually have 12 schools for the first time since 2010.
    But then 2010 was renamed, to 2008.

The fall of the NCAA?...where there's smoke

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ed-sources-say

the conversation is being broached...how serious it is, obviously don't know...but a fair many here would think this is likely to happen sooner rather than later
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ed-sources-say

the conversation is being broached...how serious it is, obviously don't know...but a fair many here would think this is likely to happen sooner rather than later
    I wouldn't mind seeing football uncoupled from the rest of the NCAA and conference affiliations.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing football uncoupled from the rest of the NCAA and conference affiliations.

-jk
    question is if we return to conference sanity for the other sports if this happens. I hope far more than believe.
    April 1

question is if we return to conference sanity for the other sports if this happens. I hope far more than believe.
    YES... like for all NCAA sports, which will not include football since they will be in their own "association"... maybe can go back to the "real" conferences of old... ACC with 8-9 members, BIG-10, BIG-8, Big East, SEC, PAC 10/PAC-8, etc. Then all sports except football will be back into their own regional/academic focus.

Doubtful whether the schools not included at the football high table would be able to afford all the other sports.
    If the ACC loses its football schools and/or Duke's at a minor conference, we'd have to cut a lot of our other sports.
    As someone who is proud of Duke's excellence across the board, it seems Duke's best future is in the Big 10.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

College football should be run by Chick Fil-A. From a strip mall in Valdosta

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Isn’t that the case, today ?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Total side note...

When I went to the Duke-Alabama game at the Chick-fil-a kickoff a few years ago, they had pretty much unlimited CFA sandwiches in the press box. I didn't want to look like too much of a pig, so I could not take 2 or 3 back to my seat at one time. I just got up every now and then and got another one.

I think I had 6 or 7 by the time the game was done. It was kinda gross.. and kinda awesome.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Total side note...

When I went to the Duke-Alabama game at the Chick-fil-a kickoff a few years ago, they had pretty much unlimited CFA sandwiches in the press box. I didn't want to look like too much of a pig, so I could not take 2 or 3 back to my seat at one time. I just got up every now and then and got another one.

I think I had 6 or 7 by the time the game was done. It was kinda gross.. and kinda awesome.
    But mostly awesome.

Total side note...

Good thing the game wasn’t on a Sunday.

My days in the press ended in the last century and we could have a whole thread on this topic but there are some really good press box spreads, as well as some pretty bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Good thing the game wasn’t on a Sunday.

My days in the press ended in the last century and we could have a whole thread on this topic but there are some really good press box spreads, as well as some pretty bad ones.
    in my ancient day, all the spreads south of the Mason Dixon line were 100% predictable.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Big Tenteen just made its members very happy, with a huge deal involving multiple networks.

The Big Ten is projected to eventually distribute $80 million to $100 million per year to each of its 16 members. According to USA Today, the league distributed $54.3 million to most of its members during the most recent fiscal year (2019-20) not impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
    The deal affects more than football, with Mens and Womens basketball being big beneficiaries as well.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-fox-cbs-nbc
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

UCLA to the B10 may not be a done deal. The University of California Board, the one that's responsible for UC Berkley and several other schools, is saying "not so fast, we're not sure you have the authority to do this without our permission."

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    UCLA to the B10 may not be a done deal. The University of California Board, the one that's responsible for UC Berkley and several other schools, is saying "not so fast, we're not sure you have the authority to do this without our permission."
    Ha, I figured they'd have something to say, though I have no idea what their legal issues are...

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    All the Big Ten has to do is send them a message saying if UCLA is not allowed to join, they'll invite Oregon, Washington, and Stanford to come in with USC and it's your fault UCLA will be in a gutted PAC conference with a crappy TV deal looming. If this is a leverage play to get Cal invited I just don't see what leverage they have. Big Ten threatens to take four, the schools that were talking with the Big XII would bolt and what's left for UCLA and Cal to do? Build a new conference with Oregon State and Washington State?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    All the Big Ten has to do is send them a message saying if UCLA is not allowed to join, they'll invite Oregon, Washington, and Stanford to come in with USC and it's your fault UCLA will be in a gutted PAC conference with a crappy TV deal looming. If this is a leverage play to get Cal invited I just don't see what leverage they have. Big Ten threatens to take four, the schools that were talking with the Big XII would bolt and what's left for UCLA and Cal to do? Build a new conference with Oregon State and Washington State?
    "New" West Coast Conference... "new" Big West????