Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125
Results 2,481 to 2,490 of 2490
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Yup. The unmarked envelopes with thousands of dollars in them now are marked with the university or college name on them.

I also remember when FSU was mockingly called Free Shoe University because they allegedly enticed recruits with free sneakers and sports apparel. How quaint!!
    So can we call them FS-SUE now?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think your recollection is correct. I know I posted a number of times as to my skepticism as to the viability of the pay the players movement. I couldn't and cannot see where the money will come from to sustain the payment amounts being bandied about. At some point there has to be an ROI beyond feeling good about the old U.
    Yep. Universities are going to have vast disparities in their capacities and appetites to raise NIL dough. The competitive landscape will gradually degenerate into the schools that will raise huge football war chests and those that will not. I'm really doubting that Duke will be willing to do the things necessary to be in the first category, and I kind of don't want us to. The NFL sustains fair competition via a salary cap, something that neither the NCCA nor any conference seems willing or able to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Petrik View Post
    Yep. Universities are going to have vast disparities in their capacities and appetites to raise NIL dough. The competitive landscape will gradually degenerate into the schools that will raise huge football war chests and those that will not. I'm really doubting that Duke will be willing to do the things necessary to be in the first category, and I kind of don't want us to. The NFL sustains fair competition via a salary cap, something that neither the NCCA nor any conference seems willing or able to implement.
    I think the things that’s still hard to figure out is the amount of money needed for the war chest to be sufficient for each schools individual goals. And to get to that point, we need to understand market costs. And to get to that point, we need transparency. Which we don’t have basically at all. So I think it’s premature to draw conclusions yet on what Duke should / shouldn’t do. If it’s $100mm that makes us competitive enough to play for an ACC title every 5 years, ok yeah not gonna happen. If it’s $2-5mm? Maybe we can find that

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    I think the things that’s still hard to figure out is the amount of money needed for the war chest to be sufficient for each schools individual goals. And to get to that point, we need to understand market costs. And to get to that point, we need transparency. Which we don’t have basically at all. So I think it’s premature to draw conclusions yet on what Duke should / shouldn’t do. If it’s $100mm that makes us competitive enough to play for an ACC title every 5 years, ok yeah not gonna happen. If it’s $2-5mm? Maybe we can find that
    Agreed. We have no idea what the costs are, and the landscape will also likely change in the next several years, due to continuing shifts in alignment, more transparency about the $ involved, the costs of NIL and the portal being realized, and legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    Agreed. We have no idea what the costs are, and the landscape will also likely change in the next several years, due to continuing shifts in alignment, more transparency about the $ involved, the costs of NIL and the portal being realized, and legislation.
    I suppose we either need a new thread or a title change.

SEC schools are getting $51m per institution this year.
    Let's go Duke!

I know this may have already been discussed, but are we still gonna play UNC twice a year? That would be so sad if we lose our two game rivalry with them!

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    I know this may have already been discussed, but are we still gonna play UNC twice a year? That would be so sad if we lose our two game rivalry with them!
    I know that football is King at this point, but It would be malpractice to not have Duke and UNC play twice every year. It's the most high-profile event the ACC has. It's also so important for the 2 schools that I can imagine them scheduling a non-conference game if the conference inexplicably only had them playing once.

I may have missed it on another thread, but haven't seen comment on the announcement of future ACC tournament sites.
    2025, 2026, 2028 Charlotte
    2027, 2029 Greensboro
    I am extremely surprised given the instability of the conference and the resentment many schools have about the perceived North Carolina favoritism in the league.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I know that football is King at this point, but It would be malpractice to not have Duke and UNC play twice every year. It's the most high-profile event the ACC has. It's also so important for the 2 schools that I can imagine them scheduling a non-conference game if the conference inexplicably only had them playing once.

I may have missed it on another thread, but haven't seen comment on the announcement of future ACC tournament sites.
    2025, 2026, 2028 Charlotte
    2027, 2029 Greensboro
    I am extremely surprised given the instability of the conference and the resentment many schools have about the perceived North Carolina favoritism in the league.
    I believe it’s related to the money the conference received from the State of North Carolina for relocating their headquarters within the State. The conference had to commit to X number of events in NC. The two basketball tournaments, baseball, soccer, gymnastics and others are scheduled in NC over the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
    Personally, I'd be fine if we never play them again. However, we will continue to play them twice a year because it's the most valuable pair of games for ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Personally, I'd be fine if we never play them again. However, we will continue to play them twice a year because it's the most valuable pair of games for ESPN.
    copy that!!