Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Conference Realignment 2022-23

Seeing a lot of chatter on twitter that Gonzaga is going to announce it will join the Big East soon. That would only add to a hell of a conference for basketball. I wonder if other teams will be joining or just the 'Zags.

Seems like a conference realignment thread is in order for this summer. Here we go again...

That would be good for Gonzaga. They desperately need more pressure games in January and February.

Not going to debate the geography of Washington state being "East."

Could be time for some rebranding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That would be good for Gonzaga. They desperately need more pressure games in January and February.

Not going to debate the geography of Washington state being "East."

Could be time for some rebranding.
    I guess it's east of the Pacific Ocean.

A better conference could certainly help the Zags.

My hot take is that this won't help Gonzaga in the NCAAT. They are already one of the most successful programs in March. This is about money and relevance during the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    My hot take is that this won't help Gonzaga in the NCAAT. They are already one of the most successful programs in March. This is about money and relevance during the regular season.
    It's 100% just about money. Any other benefits are just happy coincidences. That's just how college sports, or rather the world, works now. Money/profitability isn't the primary factor, it's the ONLY factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    It's 100% just about money. Any other benefits are just happy coincidences. That's just how college sports, or rather the world, works now. Money/profitability isn't the primary factor, it's the ONLY factor.
    Bingo. Especially in America.

Land of the greed, home of (chasing) the raise, or something like that.

I admit I have not read anything about this but...

Why not just join the Pac-12 for some sports? Can't you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I admit I have not read anything about this but...

Why not just join the Pac-12 for some sports? Can't you do that?
    It's more like joining a club than renting an apartment. You have to bring something the club wants in order to gain entrance.
    PAC-12 and the other power 5 conferences are driven by football.
    No point in even trying if you don't bring that to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    It's more like joining a club than renting an apartment. You have to bring something the club wants in order to gain entrance.
    PAC-12 and the other power 5 conferences are driven by football.
    No point in even trying if you don't bring that to the party.
    Yet Notre Dame left out football when coming to the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    five games a year of one of the most popular football programs in the country is a significantly bigger carrot than zero.

Quote Originally Posted by unclsam1 View Post
    But that's because Notre Dame had a sweetheart deal with NBC by which they couldn't lose, and they wouldn't want to give that up.

Gonzaga is in the only conference that makes sense for it. Regardless of the success of its men’s basketball program, it is a smallish, non-football-playing Catholic mid-major in a small market in the Pacific time zone. Over time, the mid-majors in the Pacific and Hawai’i time zones sorted themselves quite logically into a public-school league, the Big West (five UCs, five Cal States, and UH) and a private-school league, the WCC (seven Catholic schools plus church-affiliated BYU and Pepperdine and non-denominational Pacific). The lack of football means it would never be invited to join the Mountain West. The WAC would be a step down, with dramatically increased travel costs.

Money talks, but geography is destiny. Set aside UH, and the longest road trips in D1 are Syracuse-Coral Gables, Morgantown-Lubbock, and Lincoln-New Brunswick. Gonzaga’s shortest road trip in the Big East would be longer than any of those.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 04-07-2022 at 12:34 AM.

Tyler Hansborough votes yes on the absurd amount of traveling. Now I want to watch The Muppets. Specifically Beaker.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Agreed. Help them what? Be number 1 on the country and make the final four?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yep, it would be nice for them to be ranked 1st and actually be able to prove they are worthy for more than half their season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

big east?

well it certainly won't be the little east anymore...

Question is which is worse, their definition of east? The ACC's definition of "atlantic cost" or the B1G's definition of "10"
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    well it certainly won't be the little east anymore...

Question is which is worse, their definition of east? The ACC's definition of "atlantic cost" or the B1G's definition of "10"
    Time for a new name/rebranding - how about the “Big Country” conference? Perhaps this is good for Gonzaga for money reasons and also for stronger regular season competition…but, Spokane isn’t exactly close to most all of the other Big East schools.

For this reason, I’ve thought that W. Virginia in the Big 12 doesn’t make any sense. All about the almighty $$$…

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    Time for a new name/rebranding - how about the “Big Country” conference?
    I can tell you who they should be required to hire as commissioner of the "Big Country" conference:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I can tell you who they should be required to hire as commissioner of the "Big Country" conference:

Because he's big and he's country...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandWhite View Post
    how about the “Big Country” conference?
    I've never seen you look like this without a reason. Another promise fallen through, Another season passes by you.

Shock.