Page 33 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    It may not be the GOR that needs to be renegotiated, rather the TV contracts. I mean in theory if ACCN can get a footprint in WA,OR and CA, that has to increase the value, right?
    Oh yes, that part is definitely the case. I was trying to say that I'm not sure if adding teams and renegotiating the media deal would also open the door to renegotiating the GOR obligations for the schools or if the GOR through 2036 is locked in regardless of expansion and renegotiation of media deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    tommy, I’m going to take a wild shot in the dark and go out on a limb in assuming you’re not Catholic. 😉
    True, but irrelevant.

This is a strange new world. It's difficult to predict what happens in the future. A year ago, could anyone have predicted that USC and UCLA go to the Big Ten?
    I hate this crap and think it bodes the end of college sports as we know them.

I don't think Duke has any appeal for the major conferences other than men's basketball. The football team isn't good. Nobody really cares about women's or Olympic sports.

This all sucks and doesn't bode well for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If we assume that we can just add the numbers from your link and the Twitter graphic together (we should absolutely not assume this, but I don't have a better way so I'm doing it anyway), a quick glance would put Duke ahead of the following schools (I'm just eyeballing this so apologies if I miss one or two either direction):
    Here is a discussion from another message board (is it OK to link such things?) which shows the football+basketball figure for all P5 teams. The discussion also provides a bit of detail about the methodology (and the limitations).

A couple points mentioned about the methodology.

- The figures are based in large part on a program's revenue and expenses which are a) influenced by the revenue each program receives from their conference and b) may be subject to various "creative accounting practices".

- It is unclear how a program's "market size" is calculated. For example, there is some speculation that value of Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake is influenced by the fact that they share the same market, North Carolina.

Either way, I am skeptical of any analysis which concludes that Louisville basketball is "worth more" than Duke basketball. I would be fairly certain that Duke basketball has higher TV ratings and outdraws Louisville in road ACC games by a large margin.

Irrelevant to you, perhaps!

And I’m mostly just messing with you. But when you make an incendiary comment like “Frankly, I think Notre Dame is way overrated, on the football field and off”, it’s clear that you’re not Catholic because every Catholic person I’ve ever known reveres the University of Notre Dame like no other.

They’ve either attended Notre Dame (or dreamed of attending and didn’t get in) or one or more of their siblings went there, and they would be thrilled if their kids were to get accepted to Notre Dame, etc. Notre Dame is literally affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.

I was just jokingly trying to say that your negative comments were a dead giveaway that you are definitely not Catholic. And that’s perfectly fine. Each to his own.
    Yes, and whatever one thinks about Notre Dame’s football and academic reputation, there’s no denying that their status as America’s flagship Catholic school gives them a huge footprint and justifies their hype as the only remaining television prize that’s not already in the Big10 or SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Either way, I am skeptical of any analysis which concludes that Louisville basketball is "worth more" than Duke basketball. I would be fairly certain that Duke basketball has higher TV ratings and outdraws Louisville in road ACC games by a large margin.
    I would be skeptical of an analysis that merely said Duke basketball was worth twice as much as Louisville basketball. A formula that says Duke is less than Louisville is beyond laughable.

Twitter followers -- DukeMBB - 2.2 million, Louisville MBB - 68,000
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would be skeptical of an analysis that merely said Duke basketball was worth twice as much as Louisville basketball. A formula that says Duke is less than Louisville is beyond laughable.

Twitter followers -- DukeMBB - 2.2 million, Louisville MBB - 68,000
    You’re not considering the “in kind” value of the hookers’ services over there.

Fairly sure I’m in the minority here but I love the realignment stuff. Hoping we can dissolve the ACC soon and make 2 large super conferences and end the NCAA.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Fairly sure I’m in the minority here but I love the realignment stuff. Hoping we can dissolve the ACC soon and make 2 large super conferences and end the NCAA.
    I think you are in the minority but would like to hear your thoughts on how this is good for college basketball in general, or more specificaly for Duke basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    More lists from a N&O article by Steve Wiseman.
    He ranks the ACC into tiers.
    ND is on top in it's own stratosphere.

I think overall it's a pretty fair assessment, and worth reading to see his justification for each group.

In its own tier
    Notre Dame

Top tier
    Clemson, Florida State, North Carolina, Miami

Second tier
    Duke, Virginia, Georgia Tech, N.C. State

Third tier
    Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville

Bottom tier
    Boston College, Wake Forest

https://www.yahoo.com/news/acc-crumb...212536735.html
    Poor Wake.
    This is a brutal indictment of how the ACC handled the last round of expansion. Our conference got owned by the real players.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I think you are in the minority but would like to hear your thoughts on how this is good for college basketball in general, or more specificaly for Duke basketball.
    Actually, I’d like to know how it’s good for ANYTHING for longtime fans of college sports.

Irrelevant to you, perhaps!

And I’m mostly just messing with you. But when you make an incendiary comment like “Frankly, I think Notre Dame is way overrated, on the football field and off”, it’s clear that you’re not Catholic because every Catholic person I’ve ever known reveres the University of Notre Dame like no other.

They’ve either attended Notre Dame (or dreamed of attending and didn’t get in) or one or more of their siblings went there, and they would be thrilled if their kids were to get accepted, etc. Notre Dame is literally affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church.

I was just jokingly trying to say that your negative comments were a dead giveaway that you are definitely not Catholic. And that’s perfectly fine. Each to his own.
    I was raised Catholic and like nothing about ND. Hate is a strong word that I reserve for a certain shade of blue. ND is a close second.

Actually, I’d like to know how it’s good for ANYTHING for longtime fans of college sports.
    I think it COULD BE great for football if it leads to:

1. An 8–16 team playoff where the schools ditch the bowls
    2. The schools play a full regular season against each other without wasting game slots against 1AA schools
    3. It's not just limited to the current teams talked about but the super conferences end up expanding enough to include a bunch more schools like Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, the Arizonas, etc.
    4. Doesn't eliminate March Madness, somehow. I don't know exactly how but March Madness branding is powerful enough where maybe it could still be held in some agreement.

Honestly I think it is more likely that it will be disastrous for basketball and Duke and a huge net negative overall. But there's at least a possibility still in play that could lead to something really fun.

I’m right with you on the first part but I hope Duke ends up dropping football and all the anti academic chaos it brings before it drops them. The sport causes brain damage. Colleges are embarrassing themselves over football money. I don’t waste a minute hoping we’re pretty enough for the BIG to make us their prom date. Eff them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think it COULD BE great for football if it leads to:

1. An 8–16 team playoff where the schools ditch the bowls
    2. The schools play a full regular season against each other without wasting game slots against 1AA schools
    3. It's not just limited to the current teams talked about but the super conferences end up expanding enough to include a bunch more schools like Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Oregon, Washington, the Arizonas, etc.
    4. Doesn't eliminate March Madness, somehow. I don't know exactly how but March Madness branding is powerful enough where maybe it could still be held in some agreement.

Honestly I think it is more likely that it will be disastrous for basketball and Duke and a huge net negative overall. But there's at least a possibility still in play that could lead to something really fun.
    I don’t see anything good about USC no longer playing Washington or Oregon or Stanford or Cal in football. Or UCLA no longer playing Arizona or Oregon in basketball. Or Nebraska no longer playing Oklahoma in football. Or Maryland no longer playing Duke and UNC in basketball.

Yes, some of these changes have already taken place and I didn’t like those either. And I’m not going to like many of the upcoming changes. I greatly value traditional rivalries. Heck, it still bothers me that the ACC expanded to where every school could no longer play every other school home and away in basketball.

Just my two cents.

Let's please not turn this into a discussion of religion and personal religious beliefs.

thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I think you are in the minority but would like to hear your thoughts on how this is good for college basketball in general, or more specifically for Duke basketball.
    As JNort says... "end the NCAA"...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Let's please not turn this into a discussion of religion and personal religious beliefs.

thanks,

-jk
    God bless you.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    As JNort says... "end the NCAA"...
    Maybe I have an unhealthy tolerance for large bureaucratic organizations, having served in the Pentagon, but I can't figure out why everyone is so negative about the NCAA. Don't you think there will always be a large regulatory body for college sports (played by 100,000 or so student-athletes)? The football bowls and playoffs are totally outside the NCAA's jurisdiction. March Madness/Final Four are one of America's premier sports events, which the NCAA has yet to screw up. The other championships seem to be pretty well run, although far from perfect.

And I will for the tenth time quote Dr. Kevin White -- "The NCAA is an organization created by the schools to enforce the rules enacted by the schools." So the schools create a new organization -- what does that accomplish?

Now, there is a reasonable argument that the top 100 schools could and perhaps should form a different organization. And that there are too many teams in Div I basketball and FBS football, but seriously.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe this has already been suggested, but take the top six athletic programs from the ACC, Big 12 and PAC and form a new super conference. The six teams in the same time zones, play each other every year. You rotate playing the other teams.

I loved the old ACC, the current version not so much. Hopefully Duke is considered one of the top six programs in the Eastern time zone from the current ACC. If Clemson or FSU bolts, so be it. This conference could have more national appeal than the Confederacy conference. It wouldn’t have the travel problems of the Big. Who knows it might even be attractive to Notre Dame, but it not so what.