Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1415

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I've never heard Giannis referred as that, nor Bamba/Butler. I agree they fit that description, but I've generally only heard guys like Holmgren and Porzingis referred to as that. Never saw the Mobley description until now.

    I don't disagree that it's gross to throw race into it, but it's just something that seems to happen.
    Bill Simmons, on Giannis (2016): https://www.nba.com/bucks/features/unicorns

    Rob Dauster, on Mo Bamba (2019): https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14...t-likely-bust/

    I think the term first got applied to Porzingas and then it has had an unfortunate racial association with it every since.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Bill Simmons, on Giannis (2016): https://www.nba.com/bucks/features/unicorns

    Rob Dauster, on Mo Bamba (2019): https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14...t-likely-bust/

    I think the term first got applied to Porzingas and then it has had an unfortunate racial association with it every since.
    Fair enough. I retract my earlier statements.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Evan Mobley, Giannis, and others have gotten the label.

    I'll add that John Butler of FSU fits that description to a T. I'd say that Mo Bamba is also in the same category and you see the term applied to him from time to time.

    The next "unicorn" is Victor Wembayana of France.

    I think it's gross to throw race into this discussion.

    https://theathletic.com/3139110/2022...obley-mondays/
    Joel Embiid is a unicorn too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...opy-76ers-star

    KAT and AD are also unicorns: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...nkings-2019-20

    The term originated with Porzingis. But it's nothing to do with race: simply the supposed uniqueness of his game (7'3" guy who could shoot 3s, drive and dunk, and block shots). That's what unicorn means: a unique skillset "never seen before."

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Joel Embiid is a unicorn too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...opy-76ers-star

    KAT and AD are also unicorns: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...nkings-2019-20

    The term originated with Porzingis. But it's nothing to do with race: simply the supposed uniqueness of his game (7'3" guy who could shoot 3s, drive and dunk, and block shots). That's what unicorn means: a unique skillset "never seen before."
    We are making the same point. I was responding to posters that were making the argument that it was only for white players. It's not. It's for basketball players.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    We are making the same point. I was responding to posters that were making the argument that it was only for white players. It's not. It's for basketball players.
    Yes, I was just adding to your point. Not arguing with you.

  6. #66
    Do yíall think the following is an accurate assessment of Mark Williams?

    In the Final Four game vs UNC Mark Williams was unable to settle in and have his usual two-way impact as he picked up his second foul that forced him to sit the final 15 minutes of the first half. Williams was again forced to the bench in the second half as he collected his fourth foul with just over 10 minutes remaining. On top of that, Williams missed two huge free throws with 47 seconds remaining that would have put Duke up one. Williams never got in a true rhythm during his 16 minutes, finishing with eight points, four rebounds and zero blocks -- it was only the second time all season that Williams didn't record at least one block. Although not an elite defensive rebounder, Williams' 9-8 reach was sorely missed on the glass, as UNC chased down 17 offensive rebounds.

    The 20-year-old sophomore did still have a couple highlights, hammering home four dunks off of putbacks and drop offs, bringing his NCAA total to 17 over five games. He was a mixed bag defending pick-and-roll, taking away passing angles for the ball handler several times, racking up a couple deflections in the process. It's hard to complain about his contest against Caleb Love in what proved to be a back-breaking pull-up 3 for the Blue Devils. But he was a bit too deep in drops on occasion and still gets too high in his stance from time to time.

    Given the tough whistle along with his strong body of work as a lob-catching, shot-blocking, offensive rebounding center, Williams' up and down Final Four performance isn't likely to affect his draft stock as he's all but solidified his status as a top-20 prospect, with the potential to earn looks in the late lottery with a strong pre-draft process. With a reach bigger than Rudy Gobert and some stylistic similarities to centers ranging from Robert Williams to Mitchell Robinson to Clint Capela, there are no shortage of successful bigs in Williams' mold, which gives him one of the highest floors among big men prospects not named Chet Holmgren.

  7. #67
    That seems pretty fair. Itís at least a fair description of how he performed in that one game. Not sure how much stock to ever put in a single game though.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    That seems pretty fair. Itís at least a fair description of how he performed in that one game. Not sure how much stock to ever put in a single game though.
    That's what I was going to say. Definitely sums up what was a disappointing Final Four game. But is FAR from representative of his season.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Joel Embiid is a unicorn too: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...opy-76ers-star

    KAT and AD are also unicorns: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...nkings-2019-20

    The term originated with Porzingis. But it's nothing to do with race: simply the supposed uniqueness of his game (7'3" guy who could shoot 3s, drive and dunk, and block shots). That's what unicorn means: a unique skillset "never seen before."
    Wilt. Kareem. End of post.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Did you write that Steven or did you get it from some Draft website?

    I think that is an entirely accurate and fair assessment of Williams. He's an elite rim protector with enough of an offensive game to be quite valuable to NBA teams. I think he has a very high floor of at least being a rotation big on even a top-tier NBA team. I am sure scouts would like to see him fight for better rebounding position, but that's kinda a quibble at this point and is something I would expect him to learn in a season or two. His ceiling probably falls just short of All-Star, though his success at the FT line showed he might someday develop a reasonably reliable 3-point stroke which could elevate him to being in the All-star conversation.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did you write that Steven or did you get it from some Draft website?

    I think that is an entirely accurate and fair assessment of Williams. He's an elite rim protector with enough of an offensive game to be quite valuable to NBA teams. I think he has a very high floor of at least being a rotation big on even a top-tier NBA team. I am sure scouts would like to see him fight for better rebounding position, but that's kinda a quibble at this point and is something I would expect him to learn in a season or two. His ceiling probably falls just short of All-Star, though his success at the FT line showed he might someday develop a reasonably reliable 3-point stroke which could elevate him to being in the All-star conversation.
    No, I didnít write it, Jason; itís from a mock draft.

    I find a lot with which to agree in that assessment of Williams. The only thing I would have wanted to see added was an assessment of Williamsí three-point shooting potential. It seems like every potential draftee these days is evaluated as to whether or not that player has the reasonable expectation to one day shoot three-pointers at a reliable rate (in this case a reliable rate for an NBA center, anyway).

  12. #72
    I donít know how anyone would assess Markís 3pt potential at this point. Heís a pretty good foul shooter so thatís good, but beyond that thereís no data from which to form an opinion.

  13. #73
    KD Is the ultimate Unicorn. Man had a 20pt 18ast 10 rebound trip double on a bad night

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MKE
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did you write that Steven or did you get it from some Draft website?

    I think that is an entirely accurate and fair assessment of Williams. He's an elite rim protector with enough of an offensive game to be quite valuable to NBA teams. I think he has a very high floor of at least being a rotation big on even a top-tier NBA team. I am sure scouts would like to see him fight for better rebounding position, but that's kinda a quibble at this point and is something I would expect him to learn in a season or two. His ceiling probably falls just short of All-Star, though his success at the FT line showed he might someday develop a reasonably reliable 3-point stroke which could elevate him to being in the All-star conversation.
    I'd contend he even has a higher floor than Holmgren, who of course is seen has having a much higher ceiling than Williams. I think the probability that Holmgren will not be even a serviceable back-up big man, while low, is somewhat higher than the same probability for Williams.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Yeah I'd say that scouting report is spot on. Even though he missed those two big free throws he did shoot a respectable 72.7% for the season and was really good through the second half of the ACC season. He'll need to continue to put on strength and learn to defend without fouling so much. But all the tools are there for him as a modern big in the NBA.

  16. #76
    I think Mark would have a really promising career in the NBA of 10
    or so years ago, not sure about now. It seems like ever since they changed over to the "three ball era" the league is filled with a few stars, and then a lot of guys that youíve never heard of.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I donít know how anyone would assess Markís 3pt potential at this point. Heís a pretty good foul shooter so thatís good, but beyond that thereís no data from which to form an opinion.
    If you watch him in practice, he seems to put up a fair number of them, and to make a decent percentage. Obviously he (or K) never developed enough confidence in the shot to let him try it in a game, but it could come.

  18. #78
    What is the threshold for total # of unicorns before the term must be retired?

  19. #79
    scottdude8's Avatar
    scottdude8 is online now Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickDribbles99 View Post
    What is the threshold for total # of unicorns before the term must be retired?
    Well, I'd argue that since unicorns don't exist, once we find one, then the term no longer has meaning. So the term "unicorn" really should be used for a completely unattainable player, like the 7-foot tall point guard who shoots 75% from 3 and can do crazy dribbling moves that we all made in NBA Street back when that was a thing in the 2000s. Holmgrenn and his ilk are just "tall players with guard skills" nowadays, right?!?!
    Scott Rich on the front page

    Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

    Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I donít know how anyone would assess Markís 3pt potential at this point. Heís a pretty good foul shooter so thatís good, but beyond that thereís no data from which to form an opinion.
    The fact that there is not much hard data on Williamsí 3-pt shooting does not relieve NBA GMs from the responsibility of having to make an educated guess based on any and all possible tangibles and intangibles. They have to somehow make a determination in their draft evaluation of how they think that aspect of his game is going to play out in the NBA.

Similar Threads

  1. 2022 MLB Season
    By CameronDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 06-15-2022, 05:02 PM
  2. 2022 NBA Mock Draft
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 390
    Last Post: 04-04-2022, 11:44 AM
  3. Snomicron 2022
    By camion in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 01-23-2022, 08:46 AM
  4. Early 2022 Draft Chatter
    By scottdude8 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-06-2021, 02:43 PM
  5. NBA Pre-Draft Measurements (Draft Express)
    By slower in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-03-2010, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •