Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NBA Draft

2022 NBA Draft

We had a thread during the season for tracking mock drafts and the such, but we really need to begin moving to more substantive draft talk and to collect significant declarations from college kids.

Jaylin Williams, the Arkansas big man who was so impressive in the NCAA tourney, has announced he will test the draft waters. He is leaving open the possibility that he returns to school: https://twitter.com/NWAScottie/statu...97463108780035

Same with Keion Brooks of Kentucky, he's gonna look at the NBA and will decide later if he will be fully take the plunge: https://twitter.com/indian_sports11/...97356980297737
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Key dates per this link from Sporting News

2022 NBA Draft Key Dates

April 24: The deadline for early entry underclassmen wishing to declare for the draft
    May 16-22: The 2022 NBA Draft Combine in Chicago, Illinois
    May 17: The 2022 NBA Draft Lottery in Chicago, Illinois
    June 1: The deadline for early entry underclassmen who wish to maintain their collegiate eligibility
    June 13: The final deadline for all draft prospects (college and international) to pull their name out of the draft

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/...n4hrbcbyr7zirh

Freshman Sparty shooter Max Christie will test the waters. Probable first rounder. He’s gone.

Walker Kessler has declared as well. Good.

Is there a good Twitter or similar account that stays up to date with announcements? Thanks

Here's a page

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Is there a good Twitter or similar account that stays up to date with announcements? Thanks
    Says it will be up to date: https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...nham-declares/

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Freshman Sparty shooter Max Christie will test the waters. Probable first rounder. He’s gone.

Walker Kessler has declared as well. Good.
    I hope that's true, but while Christie entered the year with that type of hype, he underperformed expectations this season (the norm for freshmen under Izzo, much like ol' Roy) and seems to be more of a consensus second round pick in current mocks. So not sure he's so certain. Kessler, meanwhile, explicitly said he's staying in the draft, which is good to hear. Most of the top SEC teams from this year are going to be losing a ton, Auburn included.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    June 1: The deadline for early entry underclassmen who wish to maintain their collegiate eligibility
    June 13: The final deadline for all draft prospects (college and international) to pull their name out of the draft
    Why are there 2 deadlines? What happens to underclassmen who withdraw between June 2 and June 13?

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    Why are there 2 deadlines? What happens to underclassmen who withdraw between June 2 and June 13?
    They are then ineligible to play in the NCAA, but could go to the G League or overseas and then enter next year’s draft.

I know the NBA values different things than college basketball these days, but it's still tough to wrap my head around Mark Williams being an obvious "go to NBA draft" decision as an almost certain Top 20 (and probably higher) pick, when there are at least three big men who had demonstrably better seasons than him (consensus 1st team All-Americans Tshiebwe and Coburn, and consensus 2nd team All-American Timme) and could reasonably decide to come back next year, as they could probably make more money on NIL deals than they would if they go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I know the NBA values different things than college basketball these days, but it's still tough to wrap my head around Mark Williams being an obvious "go to NBA draft" decision as an almost certain Top 20 (and probably higher) pick, when there are at least three big men who had demonstrably better seasons than him (consensus 1st team All-Americans Tshiebwe and Coburn, and consensus 2nd team All-American Timme) and could reasonably decide to come back next year, as they could probably make more money on NIL deals than they would if they go pro.
    The main thing to understand is how different spacing is in the NBA. The NBA will exploit mismatches with teams that switch defensively. Tshiebwe is a highly productive player in college in part because he can hang around the rim on defense and gobble up offensive boards. In the NBA, they will pull him away from the rim and expose his lack of rim protection by driving at him.

Mark may not be the best one-on-one scorer if you lob it down to him in the low post, but he can roll to the rim and finish off of lob passes with the best of them. That is highly valuable on offense. And on defense, he's long enough to protect the rim. He needs to improve his technique and lateral movement to keep his man in front of him. But he's easy to add to most teams since they don't want or need a center that is going to be a back-to-the-basket player anyway. Tshiebwe isn't the lob threat or roll man that Mark is and I doubt he ever will be.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The main thing to understand is how different spacing is in the NBA. The NBA will exploit mismatches with teams that switch defensively. Tshiebwe is a highly productive player in college in part because he can hang around the rim on defense and gobble up offensive boards. In the NBA, they will pull him away from the rim and expose his lack of rim protection by driving at him.

Mark may not be the best one-on-one scorer if you lob it down to him in the low post, but he can roll to the rim and finish off of lob passes with the best of them. That is highly valuable on offense. And on defense, he's long enough to protect the rim. He needs to improve his technique and lateral movement to keep his man in front of him. But he's easy to add to most teams since they don't want or need a center that is going to be a back-to-the-basket player anyway. Tshiebwe isn't the lob threat or roll man that Mark is and I doubt he ever will be.
    If you are 6-10 or taller, you better be one of two things:

Ideally, a unicorn face up big a la Jabari Smitch, Chet, or Paolo.
    A great rim protector, rebounder, and versatile scorer. In that exact order. Oscar T, while having a great year, did a lot of things that will make NBA teams wince. 3-5 of his rebounds per game this year came off his own point blank misses. Which is great for him and UK, but won't translate. He blows some bunny in the L, and the ball is going the other way. But rim protection is he real major negative. He wasn't good on D. If he was just much bigger than the other guy weight wise, without giving up too much height, he was OK. And the scoring has to be versatile. No NBA team throws it down to low post, back to the basket guys anymore. If they did, Jah and Vernon would be all stars. Oscar isn't a versatile scorer.
    Tyler Hanstravel excelled in college because he was bigger than most guys (tail end of the preps to pros era), and he hustled and out worked his opponents. But the athleticism gap in the pros is simply too great for that to work.
    For the next 5-10 years, success in the NBA playoffs will necessitate beating teams with Embiid, Joker, Ayton, Giannis, etc. No one expects Mark or Kessler to shut those guys down. But if you can make them a little less efficient, that will enhance your chance of beating them.
    The obituary on Cs was written prematurely. When you could throw Bron and some shooters, or KD and some shooters, or Peak Klay and Peak Steph and Peak Dray and some bench defenders out on the court, you didn't NEED a traditional C. But most of those teams did bring an athletic big off the bench, or just started one, who was a solid defender and rebounder. Plus, for some odd reason, we just had a period of time in the late oughts when there weren't a lot of good tall players. For whatever reason.
    But now that some freaks (Bron and KD) are starting to wind down, and some freaky shooters (Klay and Step) are aging out, teams will have to configure to defend stud bigs again. And Oscar can't defend those guys. And his O won't be as effective vs those much taller players. An NBA team will get 20lbs on Mark over the next few years. Oscar will barely outweigh him at that point, while still being shorter and slower. As Mark better learns when to not gamble on blocks, and focuses more on the boards, Mark will close that gap.
    I expect Oscar to be a solid backup big for several years. But whereas guys like

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    To be effective as a center in the NBA, lateral movement and the ability to hold your own in space when switched onto a smaller player is very important. Mark has some limitations (especially on offense), but the other players you mentioned are considerably more limited defensively and project to struggle offensively against NBA athleticism.

I just read something from John Hollinger in the Athletic that supports part of your point: he indicated that Mark may be a bit overvalued based on the trendy projections of him as a possible lottery (or at worst top 20) pick in the draft, because he doesn’t really have any range on offense based on what he’s shown at Duke. But he is currently much more interesting to NBA teams than the Tshiebwes and Coburns of college ball, despite what the latter are able to do for their college teams.

Recently declared for the draft:

Jabari Smith of Auburn
    TN Point Guard Kennedy Chandler -- says he will hire agent
    Syracuse Forward Cole Swider (could have come back for 1 more year)

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Recently declared for the draft:

Jabari Smith of Auburn
    TN Point Guard Kennedy Chandler -- says he will hire agent
    Syracuse Forward Cole Swider (could have come back for 1 more year)
    I think having an agent is no longer meaningful.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think having an agent is no longer meaningful.

-jk
    Yeah, guys can have agents IN COLLEGE. Paolo signed with CAA I believe at the beginning of the season...Perhaps they need to be "certified" or something like that. But CAA has helped Paolo navigate NIL deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah, guys can have agents IN COLLEGE. Paolo signed with CAA I believe at the beginning of the season...Perhaps they need to be "certified" or something like that. But CAA has helped Paolo navigate NIL deals.
    yep, Zion had all kinds of agents.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    I just read something from John Hollinger in the Athletic that supports part of your point: he indicated that Mark may be a bit overvalued based on the trendy projections of him as a possible lottery (or at worst top 20) pick in the draft, because he doesn’t really have any range on offense based on what he’s shown at Duke. But he is currently much more interesting to NBA teams than the Tshiebwes and Coburns of college ball, despite what the latter are able to do for their college teams.
    Long time lurker, first time poster here (Angola referencing Western NY, where Laettner and myself hail from).

I think Mark may have some more offense inside of him still. I know the last memories of his foul shooting are going to be bitter for a long time, but he has great form for a 7'1 guy and the numbers to back it up, which often correlate with developable in-game shooting. Plus, it was only one play, but that crazy fadeaway he made to beat the shot clock in one of the NCAAT games reinforced my thinking that he has some untapped shooting touch still. I won't be surprised when he's at least shooting mid-range jumpers if not threes in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by AngolaDevil View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster here (Angola referencing Western NY, where Laettner and myself hail from).

I think Mark may have some more offense inside of him still. I know the last memories of his foul shooting are going to be bitter for a long time, but he has great form for a 7'1 guy and the numbers to back it up, which often correlate with developable in-game shooting. Plus, it was only one play, but that crazy fadeaway he made to beat the shot clock in one of the NCAAT games reinforced my thinking that he has some untapped shooting touch still. I won't be surprised when he's at least shooting mid-range jumpers if not threes in a couple years.
    Welcome! I grew up in Hamburg. I think the (usually) good FT shooting is definitely a positive if you're an NBA scout. I am optimistic that he might be able to develop at least a serviceable shot with the coaching, time, and resources available at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by AngolaDevil View Post

I agree with this. It felt like he was going to start shooting that elbow jumper more often midway though the season when teams were laying way off of him on the perimeter, but that never really materialized given how good our offense was already. What Mark gave us as a lob threat, offensive rebounder, and rim runner in transition was often more than enough.

I think scouts may be down on Mark’s offense because they haven’t seen much — he doesn’t seem to have a three point stroke per se (he missed most of the ones I saw him take in warm ups), and he wasn’t very effective as a post player the few times he tried to post up unless he had a significant height advantage. But his motor is really high and he runs the floor well, plus like you said that fadeaway jumper is a sign there’s more to unlock. With the right team, his development could be tremendous.

(I don’t place any stock in the missed FTs, that was an anomalous situation borne out of a nightmarish evening where he was messed up mentally by foul trouble)

Who,were the two - or more - UNC centers who washed out of the league recently ? Great college ones

Help with names