Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    What do draft boards know that we don’t? Love looks like a solid next-level player to me. So does Bacot - a mobile big man with real size, good footwork, and touch around the basket. Why aren’t these guys rated much higher?

I fully expect both to be back, with Love only possibly leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Just to pour more salt, the heels may very well return 4 of their starting 5.
    Of course it is also possible that the unc entire starting five leaves. The lure of professional basketball is huge. The only one who has run out of eligibility is Manek, who is old enough to qualify for a pension.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense View Post
    It's funny how the pendulum swings.

I remember back in the day when people complained that Duke always had plenty of shooters but was too reliant on the 3 and lacked a true big man and athletic players.

Now we're back to wondering where the hell is Seth Curry or Andre Dawkins when you need them.
    Yeah the Cheats thrive on three pointers and no bench. Hoisted by our own petard. By luck or design, they have thrived with players who very good college players but bad pros. Bacot could actually play 2 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post
    What do draft boards know that we don’t? Love looks like a solid next-level player to me. So does Bacot - a mobile big man with real size, good footwork, and touch around the basket. Why aren’t these guys rated much higher?

The NBA doesn't play guys that have size and touch around the basket. Jahlil Okafor had that in spades and was washed out of the league. What the NBA wants from the center position is defensive versatility. Bacot doesn't move his feet well enough to do that and he's not a rim protector. At best, he's a reserve big that plays 10-15 MPG. I doubt that happens. Guys like Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks were similar and couldn't stick in the NBA.

Love is capable of scoring, but he doesn't bring a whole lot more to the plate. He's not a facilitator. He's not particularly efficient, either. He's a heat check right now. That's not something an NBA team would want. They want role players if you're not going to be a distributor as a guard. Maybe some GM sees a Lou Williams or JR Reid or Jamal Crawford role for him. Love's not that good on defense, either. He lacks awareness and can get lost. Keels repeatedly abused him and Davis with drives to the rim. The talent is there. It's just too one-dimensional at the moment. You'd have to bank on him developing other aspects of his game to stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The NBA doesn't play guys that have size and touch around the basket. Jahlil Okafor had that in spades and was washed out of the league. What the NBA wants from the center position is defensive versatility. Bacot doesn't move his feet well enough to do that and he's not a rim protector. At best, he's a reserve big that plays 10-15 MPG. I doubt that happens. Guys like Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks were similar and couldn't stick in the NBA.

Love is capable of scoring, but he doesn't bring a whole lot more to the plate. He's not a facilitator. He's not particularly efficient, either. He's a heat check right now. That's not something an NBA team would want. They want role players if you're not going to be a distributor as a guard. Maybe some GM sees a Lou Williams or JR Reid or Jamal Crawford role for him. Love's not that good on defense, either. He lacks awareness and can get lost. Keels repeatedly abused him and Davis with drives to the rim. The talent is there. It's just too one-dimensional at the moment. You'd have to bank on him developing other aspects of his game to stick.
    Ugh. Then they will be dominant next year with those guys returning. Honestly, I’ll take a little one-dimensional talent if it’s shooting and rebounding.

I don’t see Moore as an NBA player. No doubt he will have an outstanding and prosperous career in basketball somewhere in the world. On second thought his focus and work ethic may buy him some NBA time.

I certainly hope Jon S adds more three and four year productive guys, it sure works in the tournament. Creating a new roster every year is just brutal.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    For Trevor, the latest mock draft from The Athletic has him in the second round. I have seen others where he is not mentioned in the second round,at all. So I guess it boils down to NIL $ versus G-League $.
    ESPN's mock draft from last week made special mention of Keels and that NBA insiders think he could return to Duke if he isn't given a first-round "promise". With that in mind, having him play so well in a losing effort was probably a worst case scenario for him potentially returning next year.

That said, I sort of feel like Duke is due a surprise returnee. With the exception of Tre Jones (who was probably a stretch to go pro after his freshman year anyways), I can't think of any "borderline" guys who have returned for us in the recent past. You could argue we've actually been worse off than the average team, with guys like Stanley, Steward, and Hurt going pro when conventional wisdom might have told them to return to school. It isn't logical, but I'm holding out hope that either Keels or Moore comes back: Keels given his unique situation and how affected he was by last night, Moore by the possibility of having a senior night and becoming a Duke legend with a four year career. Moore could be next year's Ochai Agbaji, maybe.

I'm betting we'll be waiting a while to get a firm answer either way, though.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyluvin View Post

The NBA doesn't care about those intangibles if you don't have at least a fifteen foot jumper or a deadly three ball.

And no way he gets double digit rebounds against NBA beefy guys.

I assume all our NBA prospects are gone. If any come back I’ll be pleasantly surprised. John and Bates are out of eligibility. No idea what Baker or Blakes will do. Roach seems like the only “sure thing” returnee.

For the ughs, Manek is of course gone. Bacot is going to get paid $ to play basketball. Might not be NBA but he will have a pro career, and returning will only delay it a year. I think Love is a flight risk as well. Davis will be back. Leaky could return although I could see him just graduating and moving on with his life, esp if the ughs win tomorrow. Going out on top and all that. No idea about any of their bench players and frankly I’m pretty sure those guys were auto generated by a video game so if they leave they can just have the AI create new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I don’t see Moore as an NBA player. No doubt he will have an outstanding and prosperous career in basketball somewhere in the world. On second thought his focus and work ethic may buy him some NBA time.

I certainly hope Jon S adds more three and four year productive guys, it sure works in the tournament. Creating a new roster every year is just brutal.
    Easier said than done and is the least of my worries, to be honest.

I thought our team worked pretty damn well in the tournament this season. We had a chance to win in the Final Four with a minute left on the clock. All but two other teams would trade their seasons with us.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    ESPN's mock draft from last week made special mention of Keels and that NBA insiders think he could return to Duke if he isn't given a first-round "promise". With that in mind, having him play so well in a losing effort was probably a worst case scenario for him potentially returning next year.

I'm betting we'll be waiting a while to get a firm answer either way, though.
    If I'm not mistaken, the early entry draft declaration deadline is April 24. (and June 1 is the early entry withdrawal deadline).

So things should be happening fairly soon.

For many of these guys the decision to leave was made before the season started. I think that increases Moore’s chances to come back bc I doubt he told himself he was gone after this season

I have no doubt about Griffin leaving, but I continue to think he is overvalued if he is said to be a top six pick. It was apparent last night (as it has been for some time) that he isn't a quick catch and shoot guy, it takes him too much time to gather himself and shoot...yes, he'll still go, and he can work on that, but watching some of the guys in the Kansas/Nova game, it is apparent how much value there is in a guy who can catch and shoot quickly.

Rumors of incoming portal guys...we should know soon.

I know you shouldn’t read that much into social media. However, an Instagram story post by Lexi Gordon, that Wendell shared, sure sounds like he’s planning to start a new chapter.

Agree Completely

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I have no doubt about Griffin leaving, but I continue to think he is overvalued if he is said to be a top six pick. It was apparent last night (as it has been for some time) that he isn't a quick catch and shoot guy, it takes him too much time to gather himself and shoot...yes, he'll still go, and he can work on that, but watching some of the guys in the Kansas/Nova game, it is apparent how much value there is in a guy who can catch and shoot quickly.

Not knocking the guy but it is hard for me to think he is one of the 10 best NBA prospects playing in the NCAA.

SoCal

There’s no chance any of the guys projected to be first rounders are coming back.

They can’t justify the risk of having a down year or injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I know you shouldn’t read that much into social media. However, an Instagram story post by Lexi Gordon, that Wendell shared, sure sounds like he’s planning to start a new chapter.
    It wasn’t even him posting it. It was his girl died and in the context it didn’t seem like much of a tell

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Not knocking the guy but it is hard for me to think he is one of the 10 best NBA prospects playing in the NCAA.

SoCal
    I have to use your own words against you... AJ is definitely one of the best NBA prospects.

Maybe not one of the guys who could make an impact tomorrow, but AJ is still only 18 years old! He's gonna work on the speed of his release and on his lateral quickness and footwork. He's an outstanding NBA prospect and worthy of a lottery pick.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Despite the press narrative (pre-NCAAT) about an inexperienced/inconsistent Duke ‘team’ , there was usually the ‘best talent’ nonetheless thrown in. I think 19-20 yo’s hear the latter louder than the former. Consequently, I think all starters and Keels declare for April 24. If Roach proves to be the exception, that seems to make for another pre-season classic on-paper ranking for current-era Duke….4 super-talented prospects starting along with an experienced guard. I suspect Scheyer is ethically-committed to the model although since K opened up the usage of portal, Scheyer can safely look to expand on it. So, that’s my best fortune-telling as of today.

Even though Keels is probably lowest of the mock-draft numbers, he is still on the list of 60 and he just strikes me as someone as not having a boatload of team-orientation. While Wendell started the year as an ‘improving his stock with age’ aura, it seemed to wane as the year progressed. If he has paycheck dreams, I think it best for him personally to try and cash-in now, lest a so-so senior year does him in fully.

So, portal results unknown, I think Duke 22-23 outlook is a repeat of 21-22.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualObserver View Post
    Despite the press narrative (pre-NCAAT) about an inexperienced/inconsistent Duke ‘team’ , there was usually the ‘best talent’ nonetheless thrown in. I think 19-20 yo’s hear the latter louder than the former. Consequently, I think all starters and Keels declare for April 24. If Roach proves to be the exception, that seems to make for another pre-season classic on-paper ranking for current-era Duke….4 super-talented prospects starting along with an experienced guard. I suspect Scheyer is ethically-committed to the model although since K opened up the usage of portal, Scheyer can safely look to expand on it. So, that’s my best fortune-telling as of today.

Even though Keels is probably lowest of the mock-draft numbers, he is still on the list of 60 and he just strikes me as someone as not having a boatload of team-orientation. While Wendell started the year as an ‘improving his stock with age’ aura, it seemed to wane as the year progressed. If he has paycheck dreams, I think it best for him personally to try and cash-in now, lest a so-so senior year does him in fully.

So, portal results unknown, I think Duke 22-23 outlook is a repeat of 21-22.
    I'll take an ACC regular season championship and Final Four...