Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Flip seems better suited to bang inside with perimeter skills as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Guess that's how little I know about him. I just assumed he was similar from the posts in the thread about a great shot but lateral quickness concerns.
    Filipowski appears to be bigger, stronger, quicker, and a better leaped than Hurt. He is not as pure a shooter as Hurt, but more capable off the dribble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Interesting that team like UNC and Michigan that looked like huge whiffs five weeks ago absolutely bounced back into form.
    Memphis too. Between OADs and the transfer portal, I don’t know how much you can tell about a team until the second half of the year at the earliest. UNCs guard play was horrendous for half of the year but then it clicked. The combination of Bacot down low and Manek shooting outside with reliable shooting from the guards made them dangerous . If they don’t replace Manek with a sharp shooting stretch 4, I don’t know if even Bacot and Love both returning is enough to repeat the magic. Especially with Leaky being a liability on offense. Even though he hit 2 threes against Duke, I would still double off him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't see much similarity between the two at all. Fairly different styles of player.
    Manek and Hurt might be a better comp. In that case, keep in mind that 5th year Manek would have eaten 1st year Hurt’s lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Manek and Hurt might be a better comp. In that case, keep in mind that 5th year Manek would have eaten 1st year Hurt’s lunch.
    True, and 5th year Manek would have eaten 1st year Manek's lunch as well....which I bet was also a point you were making...

Filipowski appears to be bigger, stronger, quicker, and a better leaped than Hurt. He is not as pure a shooter as Hurt, but more capable off the dribble.
    Filipowski is a true post player with 3pt range, versus Hurt was a 3pt shooter with limited post potential. Agreed they aren't similar in the slightest.

Now, we have no idea what Flip's defense is like. Scouts are torn. Some say he's developing, some say it's adequate, and most don't really reference it (which isn't a good thing). However, it is safe to say that defense isn't what got Flip his high ranking (unlike Lively, whose defense is what got him is top ranking).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    True, and 5th year Manek would have eaten 1st year Manek's lunch as well...which I bet was also a point you were making...
    Manek is an interesting case. In some ways, he's a bit like Tyler Hansbrough in that he was largely the same player all four (in Manek's case five) years. Yes, he was obviously better as a super-senior than he was as a freshman. But his level of play was incredibly steady across his college career. Really the only thing he did substantially better as a super-senior was get assists, and I suspect that was somewhat of a function of changing offensive systems rather than any particular skill improvement. He shot a bit higher %s from 2 and from 3 than he did at Oklahoma, but not wildly so.

Hurt, on the other hand, got a LOT better as a sophomore than he was as a freshman. Freshman Hurt and freshman-to-senior Manek look VERY similar statistically. I mean, eerily similar. So that comparison is a pretty good one to me. But sophomore Hurt? A clearly better player than even super-senior Manek. Hurt's shooting just went supernova last year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Filipowski is a true post player with 3pt range, versus Hurt was a 3pt shooter with limited post potential. Agreed they aren't similar in the slightest.

Now, we have no idea what Flip's defense is like. Scouts are torn. Some say he's developing, some say it's adequate, and most don't really reference it (which isn't a good thing). However, it is safe to say that defense isn't what got Flip his high ranking (unlike Lively, whose defense is what got him is top ranking).
    I'm not sure I'd refer to Filipowski as a true post player. He's more like a taller/bigger Kyle Singler: perimeter-oriented with excellent ball skills. More of a jumbo-sized wing than a post player. If anything, I'd say that - offensively at least - Hurt was the more post-oriented player coming out of high school. He was the one with the nice post moves but more limited ball skills (though he did have the lethal perimeter shot). That's not to say that Filipowski can't post up. He can do a bit of everything. But what makes him an exciting prospect is his ball skills in a 6'11" frame.

I'm not sure I'd refer to Filipowski as a true post player. He's more like a taller/bigger Kyle Singler: perimeter-oriented with excellent ball skills. More of a jumbo-sized wing than a post player. If anything, I'd say that - offensively at least - Hurt was the more post-oriented player coming out of high school. He was the one with the nice post moves but more limited ball skills (though he did have the lethal perimeter shot). That's not to say that Filipowski can't post up. He can do a bit of everything. But what makes him an exciting prospect is his ball skills in a 6'11" frame.
    I think he's very much a post player with range and playmaking. His greatest skillset is his foot work, which is really advanced for a player his age. I don't see him like a Tatum or even a Banchero floating around the court; I think he's gonna be on the low and high block, get the ball, and do damage from there. He may come out to the 3pt line if guarded by a huge, defensive big (like a Mark Williams or Derreck Lively), but I think he'll spend a lot of time in the post.

As for Hurt, didn't realize he was a solid post scorer in HS. But that makes sense given his competition was probably 6'5" and shorter.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I think he's very much a post player with range and playmaking. His greatest skillset is his foot work, which is really advanced for a player his age. I don't see him like a Tatum or even a Banchero floating around the court; I think he's gonna be on the low and high block, get the ball, and do damage from there. He may come out to the 3pt line if guarded by a huge, defensive big (like a Mark Williams or Derreck Lively), but I think he'll spend a lot of time in the post.

As for Hurt, didn't realize he was a solid post scorer in HS. But that makes sense given his competition was probably 6'5" and shorter.
    I have a very different impression of Filipowski from what I've seen. Everything I've seen from him is perimeter-oriented. Much more like Banchero honestly, though obviously not nearly as good.

I have a very different impression of Filipowski from what I've seen. Everything I've seen from him is perimeter-oriented. Much more like Banchero honestly, though obviously not nearly as good.
    I've been trying not to think "Banchero 2.0" when I watch Filipowski, but it's hard not to notice some things. The passing, the scoring all over the court, the movement with the ball in his hands are all elite for someone that's 6'10-11". He doesn't have quite the same athletic pop as Banchero, but he's not a plodder, either.

One thing I think Filipowski does different is that he feels comfortable setting up in the low post and the either using his size to score over his defender or a couple of dibbles to get a better angle. He seems more willing to put his back to the basket. I would often get frustrated that Banchero wouldn't do that and instead try to initiate offense at the high post and random places on the wings. Hopefully, Filipowski is a patient and good interior passer. That and the jumper might be the swing skillset for him.

Let's see what happens in the Nike Hoops Summit. Not saying that's indicative of what happens next year, but it's the best comp we'll have for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I've been trying not to think "Banchero 2.0" when I watch Filipowski, but it's hard not to notice some things. The passing, the scoring all over the court, the movement with the ball in his hands are all elite for someone that's 6'10-11". He doesn't have quite the same athletic pop as Banchero, but he's not a plodder, either.

One thing I think Filipowski does different is that he feels comfortable setting up in the low post and the either using his size to score over his defender or a couple of dibbles to get a better angle. He seems more willing to put his back to the basket. I would often get frustrated that Banchero wouldn't do that and instead try to initiate offense at the high post and random places on the wings. Hopefully, Filipowski is a patient and good interior passer. That and the jumper might be the swing skillset for him.
    Where I think Flip and Banchero differ is a) as you mentioned, the low block and the incredible footwork that allows Flip to be a really good low post scorer and b) Banchero's incredible mix of size, strength, and speed, which Flip just doesn't have at this point. I am sure Flip has gained some weight, but he's listed at 215lb on 247. Banchero? 250lb. I do not see Flip gaining 30lbs in the offseason.

Banchero came into Duke with polished playmaking; Flip's most discussed improvement is his playmaking. Safe to say Banchero is a better passer, but Flip could be very solid.

Where I think Flip and Banchero differ is a) as you mentioned, the low block and the incredible footwork that allows Flip to be a really good low post scorer and b) Banchero's incredible mix of size, strength, and speed, which Flip just doesn't have at this point. I am sure Flip has gained some weight, but he's listed at 215lb on 247. Banchero? 250lb. I do not see Flip gaining 30lbs in the offseason.

Banchero came into Duke with polished playmaking; Flip's most discussed improvement is his playmaking. Safe to say Banchero is a better passer, but Flip could be very solid.
    Like I said, I have a very different impression from what I have seen of Filipowski. He will arrive at Duke with very polished playmaking ability. And his game is perimeter-oriented, though he is certainly capable of scoring in the post.

Remember that Banchero came to Duke with a reputation as a very good post scorer too.

Also, though it is neither here nor there, I suspect his weight is more than 215 based on the video I have seen. He isn’t 250, but I would guess probably 230-235. He looks plenty strong.

Banchero was a really good post scorer in high school too. But as the physicality level increased from high school to college, he drifted further to creating from the perimeter. I suspect the same will be true for Filipowski. Especially since both saw/will see a lot of time next to a more post-limited big man at Duke.

And just to be clear, I am in no way suggesting Filipowski is Banchero 2.0. Just that I think the two play a VERY similar type of game. Banchero is just the better version of that game (captain understatement here).

Flip is now 6'11 230 based on on3. I suspect he'll be 235 / 240 on the goDuke roster in a few months.

I am more worried about Lively's weight, which is 220. Hopefully he can be 230+ by the time he steps on campus.

I've said it in other posts, but it bears repeating.
    Will Flip struggle some on the perimeter on D? Probably. At least, a little. What Flip lacks in top end athleticism, I think he makes up for with hoops IQ and what appears to be a bit of a mean streak.
    But Flip's relative weakness on D is more than made up for by Lively. DL can recover if DL is dragged out to the perimeter and someone tries to exploit Flip. He's just that good.
    Frankly, I think Flip and Derek were wise to team up. Flip's weakness is on D, and DL needs help getting his offense going. Flip will open things up for Derek (whose presence as a lob target will keep double teams away from Flip), and Flip can be over aggressive on D, secure in the knowledge that DL is behind him to clean up mistakes.
    Don't look at Flip, or any player really, in a bubble. Always evaluate how that player works within the team concept.
    For instance, this year, when Roach was moved to the bench, his defense suffered a little. Not because of him, really, but because he was off the bench. He typically overlapped with Theo off the bench. Theo is a capable defender. Mark Williams was a deterrent who caused opposing guards to not attack of the dribble with reckless abandon. Flip is the same. Alongside a bad defensive big, Flip would be cause for concern. Alongside a shot blocking mobile defensive big, Flip will be fine.

I suppose we are getting into the "Just early, not way too much so" territory. At any rate, this thread seemed like the best fit here.

Not sure when this was posted, but the official roster height/weight is posted on GoDuke.com

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Here are the new guys:

#0 Dariq Whitehead 6'6" 190 lbs
    #1 Dereck Lively II 7'1" 215 lbs
    #5 Tyrese Proctor 6'5" 178 lbs
    #12 Kale Katchings 6'6" 220 lbs
    #13 Jacob Grandison 6'6" 210 lbs
    #14 Jaden Schutt 6'4" 175 lbs
    #15 Ryan Young 6'10" 240 lbs
    #21 Christian Reeves 6'11" 210 lbs
    #25 Mark Mitchell 6'8" 215 lbs
    #30 Kyle Filipowski 6'11" 220 lbs
    #41 Max Johns 6'4" 205 lbs

I suppose we are getting into the "Just early, not way too much so" territory. At any rate, this thread seemed like the best fit here.

Not sure when this was posted, but the official roster height/weight is posted on GoDuke.com

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Here are the new guys:

#0 Dariq Whitehead 6'6" 190 lbs
    #1 Dereck Lively II 7'1" 215 lbs
    #5 Tyrese Proctor 6'5" 178 lbs
    #12 Kale Katchings 6'6" 220 lbs
    #13 Jacob Grandison 6'6" 210 lbs
    #14 Jaden Schutt 6'4" 175 lbs
    #15 Ryan Young 6'10" 240 lbs
    #21 Christian Reeves 6'11" 210 lbs
    #25 Mark Mitchell 6'8" 215 lbs
    #30 Kyle Filipowski 6'11" 220 lbs
    #41 Max Johns 6'4" 205 lbs
    When I first looked at this I thought it was the entire roster and then read "new guys". It clearly is going to be an adventure with 11 "new guys".

Roach

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    When I first looked at this I thought it was the entire roster and then read "new guys". It clearly is going to be an adventure with 11 "new guys".
    It will be interesting to see how Roach works with this group...could be a frustrating early season.