Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Way Too Early 2022-2023 Speculation

Who stays and who goes?

Recent history says Roach stays and others go but I think Trevor could come back. Outside chance either Moore or Williams come back. Paolo and Griffin are gone

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Recent history says Roach stays and others go but I think Trevor could come back. Outside chance either Moore or Williams come back. Paolo and Griffin are gone
    Agree.

Another year from two of Moore, Williams or Roach would make us favorites.

I still don't get keels as an early entry candidate. He's a shooting guard who doesn't shoot consistently from outside, and who plays below the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    I still don't get keels as an early entry candidate. He's a shooting guard who doesn't shoot consistently from outside, and who plays below the rim.
    He made better decisions tonight than most of the season.

Roach is coming back. He has the PG position to himself and will likely see his role expand.

Blakes is a maybe. He could be the backup PG and maybe even play in a 2-PG lineup at times if he improves. On the other hand, he could earn more PT somewhere else.

Keels is most likely gone to the NBA. That may change if NBA teams don't guarantee him a 1st round draft pick.

Banchero, Griffin, Moore, and Williams are 100% gone to the NBA. At least 3 of them will be 1st round draft picks.

Not sure what Baker will do. He can play another year. I'd love to have him back. He has been at Duke for 4 seasons and could be a valuable veteran presence, especially early in the season. On the other hand, he could probably start at 100+ teams in his final year of eligibility.

My guess is Roach and Blakes returns and it's 50/50 for Keels.

My guess

Paolo, AJ, Trevor, Wendell very high likelihood of gone

Mark probably gone

Jeremy probably comes back.

Keels should stay but he is a better prospect than Steward or Stanley who left.

Probably need to get someone from the transfer portal to play inside if Williams leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Roach is coming back. He has the PG position to himself and will likely see his role expand.

Blakes is a maybe. He could be the backup PG and maybe even play in a 2-PG lineup at times if he improves. On the other hand, he could earn more PT somewhere else.

Keels is most likely gone to the NBA. That may change if NBA teams don't guarantee him a 1st round draft pick.

Banchero, Griffin, Moore, and Williams are 100% gone to the NBA. At least 3 of them will be 1st round draft picks.

Not sure what Baker will do. He can play another year. I'd love to have him back. He has been at Duke for 4 seasons and could be a valuable veteran presence, especially early in the season. On the other hand, he could probably start at 100+ teams in his final year of eligibility.

My guess is Roach and Blakes returns and it's 50/50 for Keels.
    I agree for the most part. I am a little less sure about Wendell leaving, though that could be some wishcasting on my end.

PG: Roach
    SG: Keels
    SF: Whitehead
    PF: Lively
    C: Filipowski

Yeah, Roach should be back.

Outside chance with Blakes, depending on his relationship with the staff and his reason exit interview with Jon IMO.

Anyone else comes back… would be shocking.

I would expect Roach to return. I would expect the other regulars to go. The only ones who might come back would be Moore or Keels, but I would put the expectation that they go.

I have no idea about Baker or Blakes. Either could be back and either could decide to transfer somewhere to get more PT.

If either Keels or Moore returns, then what I would expect is a transfer backup big. If both go, then I would expect a transfer starting guard and a transfer backup big.

Roach is the only one with a chance of coming back. Good talent coming in but I caution anyone about getting their hopes up. This young team is going to struggle.

I’d say Roach and Blakes will be back as rotation guys. Joey may be better off transferring out but I would not mind if he returned. I have hopes of Moore or Keels coming back but I’d say both have a less than 30% chance of returning.

We desperately need shooting and veteran guards through the portal. Next year may be somewhat like 2020 with Tre returning plus a decent freshmen class. This 2022 might be better than the 2020 group, and a lot will depend on how much of a jump JRoach makes. But in any case, we really, really need some help at the guard spots. Getting a strong 2 and a solid CG will help. I’d be ecstatic if we can get a Charlie Moore-type and over the moon if we landed a Carlik Jones-type through the portal.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I would expect Roach to return. I would expect the other regulars to go. The only ones who might come back would be Moore or Keels, but I would put the expectation that they go.

I have no idea about Baker or Blakes. Either could be back and either could decide to transfer somewhere to get more PT.

If either Keels or Moore returns, then what I would expect is a transfer backup big. If both go, then I would expect a transfer starting guard and a transfer backup big.
    Baker is gone. Ban me.

PG: Roach
    SG: Keels
    SF: Whitehead
    PF: Lively
    C: Filipowski
    I think if Keels is gone,Whitehead will be the SG. Schutt back up off the bench. Duke could use transfer portal at Center and PF and maybe a combo guard . I look forward to the Scheyer, Carrawell, Smith and Jefferson era. Roach (2 for 11 tonight arggh)and Blakes will be back and the clean up time players Savarino, Worthington,Hubbard and Borden.
    Last edited by heyman25; 04-03-2022 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I think if Keels is gone,Whitehead will be the SG. Schutt back up off the bench. Duke could use transfer portal at Center and PF and maybe a combo guard . I look forward to the Scheyer, Carrawell, Smith and Jefferson era.
    Keels was pretty great this weekend but I really think he needs seasoning. I don;t think i saw him take a single mid range jumper all season. I wish him the best, but if he leaves, he'll bust out. He needs to return. I'm assuming Roach returns.

I think the only lock is Roach coming back.

I can't see Banchero, Griffin or Williams coming back. Maybe Williams has a slim chance, but I get the feeling that Lively and Filipowski were recruited based on the fact that this will be Marks last year. He has played himself into a first round selection anyways.

Keels and Moore are likely to go too, but I give it a 30% chance one of them comes back if they don't like their draft position.

I think with Keels, it could be the Roach factor that brings him back. Both are close friends, played multiple years of high school ball together (winning state titles) and were one of the best backcourts in the country. I could see that happening if Roach really persuades him and if Keels drops into the 2nd round (which he might have with his poor play towards the end of the regular season).

Moore might come back if he is not a 1st round pick. This one is a stretch, but maybe he will want to be a senior and graduate before making the jump. I feel he could use on more year as the main guy on campus.

I think there is zero chance Moore is a 1st rounder. He just has not played that well on the offensive side of the ball in the 2nd half of the season. And, I think he is a bit over-rated defensively. That doesn't mean I think he will actually come back, but the kids future, if he has one in basketball, is overseas. Might as well come back and try to get a Natty.