Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4181899091
Results 1,801 to 1,812 of 1812
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We should not cast stones... Chris Burgess and Shav Randolph never came close to living up to their very lofty high school reputations (neither did Harry Giles, but injuries are a totally different animal).
    Remember what an adventure it was when Chris Burgess went to the free throw line? I think he was about 50% from the line, but he had a spell where he kept falling backwards after releasing the shot. Just slowly teetering backwards and having to catch himself as he tried to maintain his follow through. Poor guy.

We should not cast stones... Chris Burgess and Shav Randolph never came close to living up to their very lofty high school reputations (neither did Harry Giles, but injuries are a totally different animal).
    If I recall, dad issues were also a problem for Burgess. Shav did end up cashing some NBA paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I recall, dad issues were also a problem for Burgess. Shav did end up cashing some NBA paychecks.
    And paychecks from China.

My impression is that Shav’s career as a super elite player got derailed by a lingering hip injury.

Who would have thought a year ago that the U of Michigan would prefer Joey Baker to Emoni Bates?

Changes may be coming with respect to the portal. Looks like going to be two windows for basketball players to enter the portal, I assume with the intention of helping coaches figure out at more manageable times who is and isn't going to be on their teams. And then allowing unlimited transfers. What this doesn't address is the "sitting out" aspect of a second or third transfer. But here is what is being considered:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/7/20/...-concepts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TrickDribbles99 View Post
    Remember what an adventure it was when Chris Burgess went to the free throw line? I think he was about 50% from the line, but he had a spell where he kept falling backwards after releasing the shot. Just slowly teetering backwards and having to catch himself as he tried to maintain his follow through. Poor guy.
    The summer after his soph year in HS Khris Burgess was compared to Karl Lewis. The sprinter (it was the 90s. Think Usain Bolt for young'uns). Not because Burgess ran that fast but rather, he was that much faster than everybody else on the court. He was a 6-9 and 200ish lb highly athletic and highly skilled player. Luminaries like Bob Gibbons said he might be a more athletic version of Laettner eventually.

Ofer the next two years Burgess grew almost 3 inches and put on 25ish lbs. He lost his athleticism. He could shoot OK (if no one tried to pressure the shot) and was an OK passer. But he lost his ability to dribble effectively and the shooting ticked down from his soph year.

What is true in a player's soph year can change.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Changes may be coming with respect to the portal. Looks like going to be two windows for basketball players to enter the portal, I assume with the intention of helping coaches figure out at more manageable times who is and isn't going to be on their teams. And then allowing unlimited transfers. What this doesn't address is the "sitting out" aspect of a second or third transfer. But here is what is being considered:

Sounds more like a renovation. "We're adding natural light by placing two windows in the portal."

While we're at it, why not HGTV the transfer portal a bit more?

1. Revolving door: give the option for a player to return to his first school after a year away.
    2. Bulletproof glass: make it harder for schools to poach other schools for that one shooter they need.
    3. French door: foreign exchange for two semesters with a EuroLeague player.
    4. Pet flap: shorter, smaller openings for teams with animal mascots.
    5. Mud room: the player must disclose all the dirty deeds he witnessed at his former school.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post

If I'm reading correctly, it is only Fall sports where there are two windows. For Winter/Spring sports like bball, it would just be one window in the the Spring (the 60 days after the championship). The reason for the two windows for Fall is presumably because decisions could change between the end of the Fall semester and the end of the Spring semester. So they have a 45-day window after their season ends and then an additional 15-day window beginning in May.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    My impression is that Shav’s career as a super elite player got derailed by a lingering hip injury.
    Shav did at least have a nice, suprising run in the NBA based off of his rebounding. He was a pretty solid rotational player for a few teams. IIRC he had the option of returning to the Celtics but chose China for more consistent money. Something lik ethat. He did have a nasty ankle injury in the League too.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-25-2022 at 06:01 PM.

"Nasty ankle injury" -- IIRC, after witnessing what happened, teammates were throwing up on the court. Sorry to post this at meal time.

Texas Tech's Terrence Shannon Jr. is in the portal. A really solid SG prospect who can shoot and play high-level defense. 10.4ppg and 38% from 3. He just announced that he will not be returning to Tech. I'm not sure if Duke has reached out at all, but he is probably the second best player in the portal right now, just behind Pack.

Illinois and Kentucky fans hopping on this one in a big way, seem to think they will be involved in getting Shannon.
    Jason, you called Shannon's value...I don't know if Duke did ever reach out, but last night Shannon was an out-of-his-mind 8 for 9 from 3, scoring 29 and making amazing long bombs, leading Illinois from 15 down in the second half to a 79-70 win over 8th ranked UCLA. They kept repeating that Shannon woke up at 4AM every day this summer to come in and shoot hundreds of jumpers. He's averaging 24+ ppg. Sorry, Scott, he passed on the Wolverines.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Jason, you called Shannon's value...I don't know if Duke did ever reach out, but last night Shannon was an out-of-his-mind 8 for 9 from 3, scoring 29 and making amazing long bombs, leading Illinois from 15 down in the second half to a 79-70 win over 8th ranked UCLA. They kept repeating that Shannon woke up at 4AM every day this summer to come in and shoot hundreds of jumpers. He's averaging 24+ ppg. Sorry, Scott, he passed on the Wolverines.
    Haha well, the story of Shannon’s transfer recruitment was supposedly much more complicated and interesting… Michigan players allege that Shannon wanted to come to Michigan, but because of some shady maneuvering by Texas Tech’s coach that prevented him from finishing summer classes to graduate early, he didn’t meet Michigan transfer standards (or something like that). He then decided on Illinois where he wouldn’t have to jump through those transfer hoops.

Who knows what the true story behind that is… but it goes to an interesting element of the new NCAA landscape, which is that schools with higher academic standards (like both us and Michigan) may find it more challenging to bring in transfers in some scenarios. Seems like Duke has figured it out while Michigan is still a bit behind.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!