Page 75 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1812
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Who's the last five-star to come off the bench for his freshmen and sophomore seasons?
    Marquis Bolden.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect you are joking. The soft WCC did not prepare Gonzaga for this year's NCAA's and may not next year. The Zags looked very slow against Baylor, whom Duke beat by a bunch.
    I believe you mean Arkansas.

In the past 7 NCAA tournaments, Gonzaga has been to the Sweet 16 all 7 times, made the Elite Eight 4 times, and made it to the championship game twice. That's an excellent record--they seem very well prepared. There was a time folks thought Coach K or Jim Boeheim or Tony Bennett couldn't win the big one, right up until they did. Will be the same for Mark Few.

Who's the last five-star to come off the bench for his freshmen and sophomore seasons?
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Marquis Bolden.
    Good call. Still curious to see how it plays out for Sallis and Hickman.

I believe you mean Arkansas.

In the past 7 NCAA tournaments, Gonzaga has been to the Sweet 16 all 7 times, made the Elite Eight 4 times, and made it to the championship game twice. That's an excellent record--they seem very well prepared. There was a time folks thought Coach K or Jim Boeheim or Tony Bennett couldn't win the big one, right up until they did. Will be the same for Mark Few.

Good call. Still curious to see how it plays out for Sallis and Hickman.
    You're right -- I meant Ark. But didn't the Zags seem lethargic in their loss?

I expect you are joking. The soft WCC did not prepare Gonzaga for this year's NCAA's and may not next year. The Zags looked very slow against Baylor, whom Duke beat by a bunch.
    Note I said "start the season at #1". I think they legitimately should start the year at the top spot with all those guys returning.

That doesn't mean I think they'll end the year in that spot. Two completely different things.

I have a good friend who is an AAU coach in Philly. He is pretty connected to HS and College Hoops. He sent me a text and said "watch out for Duke with players like Shane Dezoine- Vandy, Oscar Lopez, Jr.- Central Michigan, Malcolm Townsel- Holy Cross" He didn't say those players were contacted or anything like that but he did say "those type of players could fill a role at Duke coming off the bench at the 2 or 3"

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I think they have to be the prohibitive favorites to cut down all the nets after all that news. Anyone dare to make a legit case another team should start the season at #1?
    Nope. They'll be #1 pre seasons for sure. They also added transfer big man Efton Reid from LSU. The Zags are loaded.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I went to scroll through ESPN's transfer rankings to see whether there might be a decent depth guard that could fit as a transfer now that Proctor is in, and noticed that Ryan Young is on the list now at #94 (I think he was just outside the Top 100 previously). A nice data point showing that he isn't just a tacked on addition to the team, but should be a real contributor.

There do seem to be some guys still available that could provide depth and be OK with not getting starters minutes, including David Jenkins Jr (Utah guard who shot 40% from 3 last year, and is a career 41% shooter, but has also (somehow) played for three schools). I doubt we get involved with Jenkins given that history, but just an interesting data point to show that there are still useful players in the portal for us to pursue that fit our needs, if we so choose.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Note I said "start the season at #1". I think they legitimately should start the year at the top spot with all those guys returning.

That doesn't mean I think they'll end the year in that spot. Two completely different things.
    Yeah, I don't see how Gonzaga doesn't start #1. I think it's an easy choice, honestly. They'll be missing a potential NBA superstar kind of talent that they had projected the past two seasons, but will have a great combo of talent and experience top to bottom. UNC and Houston you could make a case for if you really wanted to (which of course I do not).

No. They didn't seem lethargic in their loss. They were trying as hard as they could, and moving as fast as they could.

They are just slow and unathletic. It is why the only NBA fans calling for Chet are ones who don't watch college hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by HayYou View Post
    No. They didn't seem lethargic in their loss. They were trying as hard as they could, and moving as fast as they could.

They are just slow and unathletic. It is why the only NBA fans calling for Chet are ones who don't watch college hoops.
    Alarmingly unathletic.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Alarmingly unathletic.
    Will NEVER get old.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

The Zags seemed slow and weak to my eye, watching both teams for the first time in person. Dare I say that they got knocked back? There is no doubt, however, that the Razorbacks (and their fans) came to play/cheer, and the Zags did not.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yeah, I don't see how Gonzaga doesn't start #1. I think it's an easy choice, honestly. They'll be missing a potential NBA superstar kind of talent that they had projected the past two seasons, but will have a great combo of talent and experience top to bottom. UNC and Houston you could make a case for if you really wanted to (which of course I do not).
    Although they could still use another big to round out their rotation, Kansas has a very solid roster and will be top 5 pre-season. Of course odds are much against them doing it, but they have a legitimate shot to go back to back if things break right for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Although they could still use another big to round out their rotation, Kansas has a very solid roster and will be top 5 pre-season. Of course odds are much against them doing it, but they have a legitimate shot to go back to back if things break right for them.
    Part of "breaking right" will be avoiding NCAA sanctions. The hammer is poised to come down on them.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/06/10913...tis%20Townsend.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Part of "breaking right" will be avoiding NCAA sanctions. The hammer is poised to come down on them.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/06/10913...tis%20Townsend.
    The NCAA hammer.

51tqnRswUjL._AC_SY355_.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think that 🔨 is too solid. Kansas lawyering up in Cheat style and now that nothing related to college sports $$ appears “wrong”, I’d bet Kansas penalties are similar to the Cheats. The bribes might normally be disconcerting, but now?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ...Kansas lawyering up in Cheat style and now that nothing related to college sports $$ appears “wrong”, I’d bet Kansas penalties are similar to the Cheats. The bribes might normally be disconcerting, but now?
    ks has spent many years lawyered up, just as the holes have. It's likely a special certificate at both law schools.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    ks has spent many years lawyered up, just as the holes have. It's likely a special certificate at both law schools.
    yeah, the cheats taught teams that you can get away with anything if you're willing to pay the legal bills...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, the cheats taught teams that you can get away with anything if you're willing to pay the legal bills...
    And if your faculty, with the exception of one department and isolated individuals, is willing to betray every principle of academic integrity. The faculty averted their eyes from forged signatures, changed grades, fake courses. They behaved despicably. Theirs was the deepest academic/intellectual/moral scandal.

Silence of the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    And if your faculty, with the exception of one department and isolated individuals, is willing to betray every principle of academic integrity. The faculty averted their eyes from forged signatures, changed grades, fake courses. They behaved despicably. Theirs was the deepest academic/intellectual/moral scandal.

Silence of the Rams.
    But you forget their long held school motto: If your not cheatin' your not tryin'.