Page 66 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1812
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilFan84 View Post
    Interesting considering that Mosley is better by any metric offensively he shot 54%, 43% and 91% and averaged more pts, rebs, assts and stls while also shooting better.
    I hope we are staying in contact, although that shipped might have sailed already.

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Add Marks to the list of people who think Green seemingly going to Iowa St is about family:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrendanRM...44782394605595

Think we need to prepare for no Green or Keels.

And sadly they’re “pretty convinced” it’s just on the dark web.
    If we don’t have Keels or a transfer “star”; our non freshmen roster will include:
    * exactly one player (Roach) with starting Duke experience
    * one other returning Duke player (Blakes) with less than 100 total minutes last year
    * two transfers (Young and Catchings) that were not stars on weaker teams and may not play many minutes next year.

By comparison the Zion, etc. very young team in 18-19 included one returning starter at PG and three guys (Bolden, Javin and Alex) that played 10+ minutes per game the previous year.

The 82-83 team included experience, just not a lot of talent.

Assuming we don’t add another player; I think this coming team better grow up very quickly and without experience will struggle to meet pre-season expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

The 82-83 team included experience, just not a lot of talent.
    This may be a typo, but 82-83 had a ton of talent with almost no experience. Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Bilas. Williams and Jackman were all freshmen. The only others with significant minutes were Engelland and Emma (seniors) and Meagher (sophomore)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    This may be a typo, but 82-83 had a ton of talent with almost no experience. Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Bilas. Williams and Jackman were all freshmen. The only others with significant minutes were Engelland and Emma (seniors) and Meagher (sophomore)
    And unlike today, that was a time frame when most teams were very very experienced...tough era for very young teams

By comparison the Zion, etc. very young team in 18-19 included one returning starter at PG and three guys (Bolden, Javin and Alex) that played 10+ minutes per game the previous year.

Duke did not have a returning starter at PG for 2018-19. Trevon Duval started at point in 2018 and left after that season for a lucrative and rewarding career in the G-League.

Jordan Goldwire did provide some experience as a backup combo guard. But he was not a starting point guard in 2018 or 2019.

"The 82-83 team included experience, just not a lot of talent."

Correct. Chip Engelland, Tom Emma, Mike Tissaw, Doug McNeely, Dan Meagher, Todd Anderson and Greg Wendt all had starting experience at Duke. Even Jay Bryan started a few games in 1982. Not all of these players were ACC-starting caliber players.

Duke didn't start four freshmen in '82-'83 because they didn't have other options. They did so because the freshmen were better.

The same thing applied to 2018-'19. Duke actually had a whole team of non-freshmen, Bolden at the 5, DeLaurier at the 4, White at the 3, O'Connell at the 2 and Goldwire at the 1, with Vrankovic and Robinson off the bench. Just not as good as the frosh.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 05-29-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Yes, meant to say not a lot of returning talent.

I guess my overall point is that the 2022-2023 team without Keels or a new addition may have the fewest rotation players with college experience (hard to quantify relevant rotation experience with 82-83 team).

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke did not have a returning starter at PG for 2018-19. Trevon Duval started at point in 2018 and left after that season for a lucrative and rewarding career in the G-League.

Jordan Goldwire did provide some experience as a backup combo guard. But he was not a starting point guard in 2018 or 2019.

"The 82-83 team included experience, just not a lot of talent."

Correct. Chip Engelland, Tom Emma, Mike Tissaw, Doug McNeely, Dan Meagher, Todd Anderson and Greg Wendt all had starting experience at Duke. Even Jay Bryan started a few games in 1982. Not all of these players were ACC-starting caliber players.

Duke didn't start four freshmen in '82-'83 because they didn't have other options. They did so because the freshmen were better.

The same thing applied to 2018-'19. Duke actually had a whole team of non-freshmen, Bolden at the 5, DeLaurier at the 4, White at the 3, O'Connell at the 2 and Goldwire at the 1, with Vrankovic and Robinson off the bench. Just not as good as the frosh.
    Wow, I had long forgotten how many upperclass 82-83 players had started in previous Duke years.

Wow, I had long forgotten how many upperclass 82-83 players had started in previous Duke years.
    K really rolled the dice on his freshman that season. A more prudent coach would have gone with the veterans more and gradually eased the newcomers into the lineup. As I've written elsewhere, he threw them into the deep end of the pool to see if they'd sink.

He also played man-to-man, even though a zone might have kept the scores down, because he thought this team could and would win championships down the road and they would do so playing m2m; the previous team played lots of zone because he did not think that group would win championships. Engelland was the leading returnee and Chip had four DNP-CDs early that season, his senior year, until he accepted K's emphasis on m2m defense.

Mike Tissaw is the starkest example of K's merit-based Darwinism. Tissaw averaged around 24 mpg as a sophomore in 1981. He averaged around 23 in 1982. As a senior he saw the court for a grand total of 46 minutes. And he was healthy. He scored two points that season, a late basket in the regular-season finale against Carolina in a game that had long been decided.

FWIW, AJ Green is on an official visit to Iowa State this weekend. The Iowa State twitter folks seemed to be expecting a commitment yesterday.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    FWIW, AJ Green is on an official visit to Iowa State this weekend. The Iowa State twitter folks seemed to be expecting a commitment yesterday.
    So; therefore, Keels will announce he’s returning tomorrow.😀😀

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Take your kid to work day?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Him NOT committing seems to be further evidence for the theory that his decision is tied to Trevor’s.

Everyone, I really am not meaning to be a downer, but I feel that we have lost out on Green and that Trevor, no matter what the people from the NBA have determined about Trevors’ results, ain’t coming back to Duke next season. I will be happier than anyone else on this board if he proves me wrong, but I am resigned to the fact that Blakes and the freshman kid had better get ready for trail by fire. Please make my thoughts about you wrong Trevor and come on back for another year!

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Everyone, I really am not meaning to be a downer, but I feel that we have lost out on Green and that Trevor, no matter what the people from the NBA have determined about Trevors’ results, ain’t coming back to Duke next season. I will be happier than anyone else on this board if he proves me wrong, but I am resigned to the fact that Blakes and the freshman kid had better get ready for trail by fire. Please make my thoughts about you wrong Trevor and come on back for another year!
    I will merely say that if your predictions come true, it does not mean Blakes and Schutt will be our 2-guards. There are many other options:

1 - someone else from the portal
    2- Joey Baker returns, plays the 3, and Whitehead plays the 2
    3- Mark Mitchell plays the 3 and Whitehead plays the 2
    4- Caleb Foster reclass (something that was discussed about a month ago and which could still happen)

Hope abounds! It is not even June 1...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    It’s very interesting how a few days without news have all of a sudden turned the mood of the board sour. Beyond one crystal ball pick switching, there hasn’t actually been any evidence to make us all so pessimistic all of a sudden. Heck, the fact the AJ hasn’t committed when Iowa State people thought he would by weekend’s end should be seen as a POSITIVE, if anything. The reality was this was always going to come down to the last couple days, we just tried to convince ourselves otherwise.

And, I’ll say it again, the staff HAS to have a Plan C after Trevor and AJ. It would be malpractice if they didn’t. That Plan C probably hasn’t been reported because, well, that might hurt our chances with Plans A and B.

Breathe everyone!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    It’s very interesting how a few days without news have all of a sudden turned the mood of the board sour. Beyond one crystal ball pick switching, there hasn’t actually been any evidence to make us all so pessimistic all of a sudden. Heck, the fact the AJ hasn’t committed when Iowa State people thought he would by weekend’s end should be seen as a POSITIVE, if anything. The reality was this was always going to come down to the last couple days, we just tried to convince ourselves otherwise.

And, I’ll say it again, the staff HAS to have a Plan C after Trevor and AJ. It would be malpractice if they didn’t. That Plan C probably hasn’t been reported because, well, that might hurt our chances with Plans A and B.

Breathe everyone!
    Appreciate the encouraging words Scott. I will certainly be happy when we know more. And when I hear some news, I sure hope it is good news.

I bet they have a plan C, D, and E.

If Duke enters next season with the roster we currently have (no wing transfer, no Keels, no Baker), I will be beyond stunned. It simply isn't going to happen.

I’ll say it again, the staff HAS to have a Plan C after Trevor and AJ. It would be malpractice if they didn’t.
    If Duke enters next season with the roster we currently have (no wing transfer, no Keels, no Baker), I will be beyond stunned.
    I don’t agree with this “stunning malpractice” thesis. By which I mean: you two are nuts. Which I have long suspected.

A few questions, your answers to which, I feel confident, will reveal your utter nutter-ness. These questions assume “no wing transfer, no Keels, no Baker.” (No assumption about Reeves, redshirt or otherwise.)

1. Given a roster of a returning junior PG, #1-ranked frosh class, 2 experienced transfer bigs, and Blakes, do you think Duke would be consensus preseason lower than #10-12, i.e., #15-25?
    2. If yes, how much lower (preseason consensus)?
    3. If yes, do you think anything other than preseason top 10 would next (or any) season constitute “stunning malpractice” by Scheyer and staff?
    4. If no, i.e., you think we might be preseason top, say, 7-9, do you think that consensus would be flat stupid?
    5. If flat stupid, is that mostly because such a preseason consensus would be significantly overvaluing the ‘22 #1 class, and significantly undervaluing the inexperience and/or unproven 3-pt. marksmanship of the roster?
    6. Any chance you’d reconsider, and characterize “no wt, no K, no B” as “a little surprising”? Or maybe “disappointing”?

To be clear, I think one (but only 1) of Keels, transfer wing, or Baker will be on the roster; and that, depending on which of those 3 is on the roster, Duke will be preseason consensus 5-8. But in the event that the roster includes “no wt, no K, no B,” I’ll guess Duke would be preseason consensus 10-ish, and that preseason ranking would be about right. And in the event that “no wt, no K, no B” is our fate, I do not think that would constitute “stunning malpractice.”

[NB: A fair portion of this post constitutes genuine disagreement expressed with faux outrage. I hope that will have been obvious in the use of such words/terms as “nuts, long suspected, utter nutter.” For that matter, even “you two.” I suppose emojis might have done the trick, but emoji overuse constitutes stunning malpractice.]

I will merely say that if your predictions come true, it does not mean Blakes and Schutt will be our 2-guards. There are many other options:

1 - someone else from the portal
    2- Joey Baker returns, plays the 3, and Whitehead plays the 2
    3- Mark Mitchell plays the 3 and Whitehead plays the 2
    4- Caleb Foster reclass (something that was discussed about a month ago and which could still happen)

Hope abounds! It is not even June 1...
    What do you mean by “plays the 3?” Starts at the 3?

Him NOT committing seems to be further evidence for the theory that his decision is tied to Trevor’s.
    Or that Green wants to do a few more NBA workouts before making it official to Iowa State.