Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1812
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Big get for Kansas. McCullar is a stud and a great veteran addition

https://twitter.com/Kevin_McCullar/s...s2ZCv0CUdZ07wg
    The opportunity for poaching with transfers within the same conference, especially with immediate eligibility, is pretty darn unseemly.

Any more Isiah Mosely chatter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrduke21 View Post
    Looks like Mississippi State or Kansas for Mosley.

Pretty sure he is heading to Mississippi State. Duke has not been very involved there. Kansas seemed to be quite interested for a bit, but they have backed off as they look at other transfers.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pretty sure he is heading to Mississippi State. Duke has not been very involved there. Kansas seemed to be quite interested for a bit, but they have backed off as they look at other transfers.
    Thanks, I would have preferred him as a Keels replacement option vs AJ Green, but in Coach S I trust!

Thanks, I would have preferred him as a Keels replacement option vs AJ Green, but in Coach S I trust!
    With Trevor gone, we will likely lose a bit on defense, but I’ll be excited to have Green on our team as a knock down shooter. Haven’t had that at Duke in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    but I’ll be excited to have Green on our team as a knock down shooter. Haven’t had that at Duke in awhile.
    You mean like since we had AJ Griffin this past season?
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    You mean like since we had AJ Griffin this past season?
    And Matthew Hurt the year before that.

True, true regarding Hurt and Griffin.

I guess I meant a pure shooter who can average more than 2 3-pointers a game for the season.

I don’t think we’be seen THAT in awhile.

Griffin and Hurt could certainly shoot, but the other side of the ball often balanced out theit shpoting. Green would, at the very least, have more experience as a defender

True, true regarding Hurt and Griffin.

I guess I meant a pure shooter who can average more than 2 3-pointers a game for the season.

I don’t think we’be seen THAT in awhile.
    Griffin made 1.8 3s per game for the season. Once he became a regular though (game 9 of the season), he made 2.1 per game. Hurt averaged 2.3 per game. I'll be surprised if Green makes many more threes per game than that.

Yes, he did so at UNI, but that was as the focal point of the offense. I suspect he shoots a lot less frequently on a much better team next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Griffin made 1.8 3s per game for the season. Once he became a regular though (game 9 of the season), he made 2.1 per game. Hurt averaged 2.3 per game. I'll be surprised if Green makes many more threes per game than that.

Yes, he did so at UNI, but that was as the focal point of the offense. I suspect he shoots a lot less frequently on a much better team next year.
    Good points CDu. I know I’m in the minority on this, but I just think we’d be better off with someone other than Keels. His shot didn’t improve throughout the season, in fact it got worse. I’d like to see someone else get a shot. I wish Trevor much success in his hoops career, wherever that takes him.

Good points CDu. I know I’m in the minority on this, but I just think we’d be better off with someone other than Keels. His shot didn’t improve throughout the season, in fact it got worse. I’d like to see someone else get a shot. I wish Trevor much success in his hoops career, wherever that takes him.
    Yeah, it's quite probable that Green is the better shooter next year. But it's not out of the question that Keels' shot improves a ton. I'll hold off on the analysis until/unless Keels returns, but it's not at all uncommon for Duke guards who return as sophomores to experience a big jump in 3pt shooting. The most obvious comp would be Luke Kennard: like Keels, Kennard was a noted 3pt shooter in high school who struggled with his 3pt shot as a freshman. Kennard hit just 32.0% (Keels shot 31.8%) as a freshman. Kennard had a monster sophomore season, shooting 43.8% from 3 and hitting 2.4 per game. Now, I wouldn't expect Keels to make THAT big a leap if he returns. But I'd expect a substantial improvement from 3 based on the average frosh-to-soph bump we've seen of Duke guards.

That being said, I would still expect Green to be the better shooter. But if Keels can close the shooting gap, he probably brings a lot more to the table defensively and as a playmaker than Green does. He showed the ability to get to the rim last year, and that was with a much more crowded set of playmakers around him. So I'd expect that role to expand if he came back.

In other words, I'll be thrilled if either Keels or Green is here next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it's quite probable that Green is the better shooter next year. But it's not out of the question that Keels' shot improves a ton. I'll hold off on the analysis until/unless Keels returns, but it's not at all uncommon for Duke guards who return as sophomores to experience a big jump in 3pt shooting. The most obvious comp would be Luke Kennard: like Keels, Kennard was a noted 3pt shooter in high school who struggled with his 3pt shot as a freshman. Kennard hit just 32.0% (Keels shot 31.8%) as a freshman. Kennard had a monster sophomore season, shooting 43.8% from 3 and hitting 2.4 per game. Now, I wouldn't expect Keels to make THAT big a leap if he returns. But I'd expect a substantial improvement from 3 based on the average frosh-to-soph bump we've seen of Duke guards.

That being said, I would still expect Green to be the better shooter. But if Keels can close the shooting gap, he probably brings a lot more to the table defensively and as a playmaker than Green does. He showed the ability to get to the rim last year, and that was with a much more crowded set of playmakers around him. So I'd expect that role to expand if he came back.

In other words, I'll be thrilled if either Keels or Green is here next year.
    Yes. One of these two are essential for Duke to go far next year.

I like the idea of Keels for continuity sake and I'd love for Scheyer to whip Keels into shape and use that as another 'recruiting' tactic (as if Scheyer needs another one).

I also like the idea of Keels defense, because Duke's defense when he and Roach were in the game earlier in the season was enticing.

Basically, Keels is a 'known' commodity who can easily improve his shooting. Green comes in as a shooter with significant unknown qualities as a defender.

And lastly, if Scheyer is anything like Coach K, he'll make Duke into an offensive juggernaut regardless of whether it's Green or Keels. He'll need more help on the defensive end...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Luke Kennard shot 28.6% from 3 over the final 7 games of his freshman season, which was worse than his season average of 31.8%.

Players often get better when they get older, especially at the age of Trevor Keels. He shot 31.2% as a freshman. I feel confident that he would get better as a sophomore in college.

I consider this a non update...

https://twitter.com/EliotClough/stat...92185185001474
    AJ Green tells me his visit to @DukeMBB "went great."

He doesn't have a day he plans to make the decision as to whether or not he plans to take a shot at the #NBA or return to college.

He said it's "probably going to be right before the deadline."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, everything still sounds like AJ is waiting on Trevor’s decision, meaning he’s a Duke lean if Trevor stays in the draft and an Iowa State lean otherwise.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Yup, everything still sounds like AJ is waiting on Trevor’s decision, meaning he’s a Duke lean if Trevor stays in the draft and an Iowa State lean otherwise.
    I can't see any other way to interpret it.

For some reason, I love Keels more than any other moderately successful freshman that we've had in a long time. I think the guy is going to be great. I would love, love, love to get him back.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I can't see any other way to interpret it.
    This response is a great example of the strengths of this board. I love the oppositions and dichotomies throughout. Personally, of the "main" seven players who played for this most recent Duke squad, Keels would come in a very distant seventh place. Yet other well-knowledged fans view him of paramount importance. Gotta love the complexities of DBR