Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2022 National Invitation Tournament

Bracket drops in 15 minutes. UVa and Wake Forest should receive invitations.

Are the Duke women expected to be in their NIT?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Are the Duke women expected to be in their NIT?
    No according to Jim Sumner.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

UVa gets a home game vs 3 seed Mississippi State.

Wake gets a 2 seed vs Towson.

Yeah, but does Towson have a conference player of the year and Coach of the Year? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by 84Duke View Post
    Yeah, but does Towson have a conference player of the year and Coach of the Year? I think not.
    Good guess. Towson is in the Colonial Athletic Association, and their end of year awards have a Player of the Year from Hofstra and a Coach of the Year from UNCW. The All-CAA First Team and Second Team each has a Towson player, and both those guys also made the All-Defensive Team.

It's a joke that Wake gets COY and POY and goes to the NIT. They should have some award for comeback team/player/coach of the year for this type of award.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

A potential VCU at Wake game in the 2nd round of the 2022 NIT in Winston-Salem. Pretty decent potential game. Of course it will only happen if VCU takes care of Princeton and Wake beats Towson.

VCU has the 4th best defense in the country on Kenpom but their offense is hideous at 239 in the country.

As a Furman alum, I'm disappointed the Paladins didn't make the NIT field. We had a quality season and were a last-second 3 from winning a competitive SoCon tourney for the school's first NCAA tourney bid in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    It's a joke that Wake gets COY and POY and goes to the NIT. They should have some award for comeback team/player/coach of the year for this type of award.

9F
    I'm guessing some voters might have wanted those votes back...

But I also think the voters likely don't particularly care about who wins as much as we do.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

But I also think the voters likely don't particularly care about who wins as much as we do.
    Recall that local sportswriters openly cheered when VCU beat Duke in 2007 1st round. Not going to be in their DNA to give K another award.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Kind of veering off topic... But perhaps there should be some kind of Comeback Team of the Year, which would reward a team that made the biggest jump. Wake would obviously earn that. And it would be a team award, not a coaching award. I know this sounds a bit like an ESPY, but it would focus the other awards towards true greatness in a season. Just a thought...

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I believe I heard on the NIT selection show that never before in the multi-team era has an ACC POY had not been in the NCAA Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I believe I heard on the NIT selection show that never before in the multi-team era has an ACC POY had not been in the NCAA Tournament.
    Erick Greene from Va Tech in 2013. His team finished dead last in the ACC at 4-14. Looks like Len Bias in '86 is the only other ACC POY to play for a team below .500.

I almost forgot about "before the multi-team era." No WONDER UCLA won so many championships. If they were the only team in the bracket, I suspect Duke would be undefeated.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Yes, it’s why Wooden is so over rated.

(I’m in my phone, so my thumbs get in the way. Can’t get the right phrases out! Of course, multiple teams from one conference allowed.)

Yes, it’s why Wooden is so over rated.

(I’m in my phone, so my thumbs get in the way. Can’t get the right phrases out! Of course, multiple teams from one conference allowed.)

"In my phone?"

Rather proved your point, methinks.

Although I have seen some people who appeared to be surgically attached to their phones.

A maximum of two teams from a conference was allowed from 1975 through 1979. So maybe "unlimited" is the word you're looking for other than "multiple". Because otherwise we would have to include 1975 ACC POY David Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    As a Furman alum, I'm disappointed the Paladins didn't make the NIT field. We had a quality season and were a last-second 3 from winning a competitive SoCon tourney for the school's first NCAA tourney bid in a long while.
    I have a lot of respect for Furman. Know several runners on cross country. I agree. They should have been in the NIT. Wish the coach had called timeout w 4 seconds to go and set up his defense.

Day 1 of the NIT is complete, and two former Duke players were in action.

Jordan Goldwire had 15 points, 8 assists, and 3 blocks (!) as Oklahoma defeated Missouri State 89-72. The Sooners will play St. Bonaventure in the second round.

Henry Coleman had 8 points and 3 rebounds in Texas A&M's victory over Alcorn State 74-62. The Aggies next face Oregon.

The two ACC teams start their NIT play tomorrow. Wake Forest faces Towson in Winston-Salem. Tony Bennett and UVA host Mississippi State, which has its own former Final Four coach (Ben Howland) and former ACC player (Garrison Brooks).