1 2.27%
  • Akron

0 0%
  • Yale

0 0%
Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1229
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is it true the Boilermakers are changing their name to Perdu?
    That's a fallacy. They're actually changing it to Purdon't.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I haven’t posted on the basketball board in a long time, but, after reading this thread, it feels like a Heels fan’s perspective might be timely leading into a potential final four matchup.

First, we are way ahead of ourselves. The Peacocks are for real and it’s not a given that UNC wins that game.

Second, Arkansas is a very tough, athletic team. Duke has lots of work to do as well.

From my perspective, let’s compete, let’s play every game. Big games are what players, and fans, should want to play.

Should the Heels lose to this really good Duke team in the final four, it would just be another painful big game loss to our rival. There’s always another shot at a National Championship next season.

But the Heels are confident. They’re playing with house money now, imo.

Why? Because that Heels win at Cameron in coach K’s final game, in front of all the past players, and the programs most elite fans, was as rewarding to Heels fans as a National Championship, argue that it shouldn’t be, but for Heels fans it was.
    Everything else from that point forward has been gravy this season.

There will always be another tournament next year, and more big games against Duke, but there won’t ever be another coach K swan song game at Cameron, and Heels will always have that game in their back pocket.

It will take a Duke win in a NCAA Championship game, not the final four, to rival that Cameron win earlier this season for Heels fans.

Don’t shoot the messenger, just an honest perspective from a Heels fan.

Good luck the rest of the way, let’s play this out on the court and remember that at the end of the day, we are just watching a game that kids play, and all this rivalry posturing is supposed to be all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I haven’t posted on the basketball board in a long time, but, after reading this thread, it feels like a Heels fan’s perspective might be timely leading into a potential final four matchup.

First, we are way ahead of ourselves. The Peacocks are for real and it’s not a given that UNC wins that game.

Second, Arkansas is a very tough, athletic team. Duke has lots of work to do as well.

From my perspective, let’s compete, let’s play every game. Big games are what players, and fans, should want to play.

Should the Heels lose to this really good Duke team in the final four, it would just be another painful big game loss to our rival. There’s always another shot at a National Championship next season.

Why? Because that Heels win at Cameron in coach K’s final game, in front of all the past players, and the programs most elite fans, was as rewarding to Heels fans as a National Championship, argue that it shouldn’t be, but for Heels fans it was.

There will always be another tournament next year, and more big games against Duke, but there won’t ever be another coach K swan song game at Cameron, and Heels will always have that game in their back pocket.

It will take a Duke win in a NCAA Championship game, not the final four, to rival that Cameron win earlier this season for Heels fans.

Good luck the rest of the way, let’s play this out on the court and remember that at the end of the day, we are just watching a game that kids play, and all this rivalry posturing is supposed to be all in good fun.
    It's interesting. All the Heel fans I talk to placed so much importance on that win in Cameron. Don't get me wrong- it was a big win, but for me, it wasn't THAT painful. A loss to UNC in the final four would be MUCH more painful, at least from this fan's perspective. But YMMV.

Well for this lifelong Duke fan. Win or lose, Duke has done it the right way. The cheats can't make that statement without lying. The rivalry ceased when it was proven that the cheats had to use players that didn't qualify academically to even participate in the games. So, there's that. Good to hear from you again.

GoDuke and GTHC!

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    It's interesting. All the Heel fans I talk to placed so much importance on that win in Cameron. Don't get me wrong- it was a big win, but for me, it wasn't THAT painful. A loss to UNC in the final four would be MUCH more painful, at least from this fan's perspective. But YMMV.
    Right? So weird that they think it was like a dagger or something. Yeah it sucked but whatever. It was a regular season game. Give me a final four win over that any day of the week. I guess it’s nice to live rent free in a rivals head, even if they used ineligible players and cheated.

Class of ‘90 alum here and have to disagree. I can’t imagine anything more stressful than playing UNC in the Final Four, but only because of what would be at stake. A loss is unimaginable. A win would be glorious. It would 100% undo the Cameron loss from March. It would shift the rivalry forever. You lose to them 25 years from now and you still say “yeah, but we beat you in the Final Four. S&ck on that!”

Also, beating UNC would take off any pressure on the championship game, because regardless we would have beaten UNC in the Final Four.

And the Tar Heel fans need to worry as well. The thing you had going for you in Durham was all the pressure on Duke for that final game. That would be gone. Fully. It would be the Duke players going for pride and revenge. And the talk about Ks last rodeo would be drowned out by “my God - it’s the greatest rivalry in sports meeting in the tournament for the first time ever - in the freaking Final Four!”

Again, I hope it doesn’t happen. But if Duke wins today (a big if), it will. UNC is going to wipe the floor with St. Peter’s. That’s a lock.

It is good the hear from Wheat again...I particularly like his last comment.

I will also add that I hope the success the Heels have had so far this year gives Hubert some breathing room with unc fans going forward. There will be ups and downs with a new coach so give him some support / credit instead of criticism. I also say this because Jon will need this same type of support in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Class of ‘90 alum here and have to disagree. I can’t imagine anything more stressful than playing UNC in the Final Four, but only because of what would be at stake. A loss is unimaginable. A win would be glorious. It would 100% undo the Cameron loss from March. It would shift the rivalry forever. You lose to them 25 years from now and you still say “yeah, but we beat you in the Final Four. S&ck on that!”

Also, beating UNC would take off any pressure on the championship game, because regardless we would have beaten UNC in the Final Four.

And the Tar Heel fans need to worry as well. The thing you had going for you in Durham was all the pressure on Duke for that final game. That would be gone. Fully. It would be the Duke players going for pride and revenge. And the talk about Ks last rodeo would be drowned out by “my God - it’s the greatest rivalry in sports meeting in the tournament for the first time ever - in the freaking Final Four!”

Again, I hope it doesn’t happen. But if Duke wins today (a big if), it will. UNC is going to wipe the floor with St. Peter’s. That’s a lock.
    I am on the fence about the bolded comment. Losing the game that get's you a banner will always sting. Beating UNLV in 1991 was iconic but would have felt less so with a loss to Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    It is good the hear from Wheat again...I particularly like his last comment.

I will also add that I hope the success the Heels have had so far this year gives Hubert some breathing room with unc fans going forward. There will be ups and downs with a new coach so give him some support / credit instead of criticism. I also say this because Jon will need this same type of support in the next few years.
    I’m going to disagree. It’s not good to hear from Wheat again, and here’s why: UNC fans only stick their head in the door when they feel very confident about their team. When they know they’re gonna get their butts kicked they keep quiet. So Wheat posting here should be looked at as bad news. He knows that they are very capable of beating us. He is very confident. That’s a dangerous thing. And he’s right that from their side they are playing with house money. The risk/reward for Cheat fans, versus the risk/reward for us, is completely different.

Thanks Wheat. Your view is the view I keep hearing from Heels fans for the last three weeks. Nothing can possibly be more satisfying to them than that win. And I think it was bigger for the Heels than for Duke.

For Duke fans, this is the only possible redemption. If we win this, we don't give a rip about the Cameron game.

I don't believe for a moment that K doesn't want that opportunity.

And also Wheat, definitely true, this may likely be all just whizzing into the wind. There will be two tough games first.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I am on the fence about the bolded comment. Losing the game that get's you a banner will always sting. Beating UNLV in 1991 was iconic but would have felt less so with a loss to Kansas.
    And a lot worse with a loss to UNC who should have been looming.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is it true the Boilermakers are changing their name to Perdu?
    Changing it to Perdidn't.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wheat

I haven't posted on here since before COVID hit (under a different name), but I DO remember Wheat.

Maybe he's changed, but one of the above posters is right - he'll pop in when he's feeling good. But there's always that "Eddie Haskell" possibility lurking beneath.

"Yes, Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore is a fine young man." Keep your keys and wallet in a safe place.

But, hey, maybe he has changed. If so - bygones.

I've come around, I want the game to happen. I like how we are playing and I have full confidence in the team.

The prospect of the game has also brought me to a new level of zen in terms of being a fan of Duke. Too often I worry about other teams and it mostly relates to the fan bases. In reality, a lot of stress is removed by only caring and focusing on how Duke does and not how they are perceived by other people.

Bring on the challenge. The team and coaches aren't scared, and neither should we be. Go Duke!

Class of 90 alum here who lived and died by the UNC rIvalry for most of my adult life.

I’ll try not to shoot the messenger, but it’s become clear to me that UNC fans spend a lot more time obsessing over Duke and the rivalry these days than vice versa.

Why is this?

Two big reasons. One is that we’ve been a consistently more excellent team - this has not been a rivalry of equals for the past 20 years. And two, we used to consider you a peer program - a program that does things the right way and doesn’t cut corners just to win games. That all changed with the cheating scandal.

So I hated to lose that last game in Cameron, but at least for me, it wasn’t a lot different than losing it to a Florida State or a Wake Forest or a UVA.

Quote Originally Posted by slower2 View Post
    I haven't posted on here since before COVID hit (under a different name), but I DO remember Wheat.

Maybe he's changed, but one of the above posters is right - he'll pop in when he's feeling good. But there's always that "Eddie Haskell" possibility lurking beneath.

"Yes, Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore is a fine young man." Keep your keys and wallet in a safe place.

But, hey, maybe he has changed. If so - bygones.
    Processed Wheat is not good for you and mostly serves to just make you fat.

Don’t feed the trolls. 😉

I'm not sure anyone has made this comparison, but losing to Carolina in the FF of K's last run would be similar to the feeling that Kentucky fans must have felt when CL buried the dagger. They feel it whenever there is a Duke/KY matchup or even just fan to fan encounters. It's a forever thing, or at least until some equal level retribution. The UNC win at Cameron for K's last home game is not even close to the level of a FF win or loss. The outcome of that game, should both teams be fortunate enough to get there, would be the tectonic equivalent of the breaking up of Pangaea all in an instant.

I trust our team is not doing what we all are doing here going down the last rabbit hole.

Go Duke. Let's get it done tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Right? So weird that they think it was like a dagger or something. Yeah it sucked but whatever. It was a regular season game. Give me a final four win over that any day of the week. I guess it’s nice to live rent free in a rivals head, even if they used ineligible players and cheated.
    This. I will feel differently if they beat us in the FF. That loss would hurt way, way more than the Cameron loss.

If you peel it back, they have a lot of program envy probably coupled with buried shame over their cheating scandal, the new Carolina Way. That’s why fans like Wheat enjoyed that win so much on K day - they think it somehow exorcised those demons.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    This. I will feel differently if they beat us in the FF. That loss would hurt way, way more than the Cameron loss.

If you peel it back, they have a lot of program envy probably coupled with buried shame over their cheating scandal, the new Carolina Way. That’s why fans like Wheat enjoyed that win so much on K day - they think it somehow exorcised those demons.
    Well stated. No doubt in my mind that Wheat is "Eddie Haskelling" us, but is also very envious of our success over the past 40 years. And yes, whether he would admit it out loud or not, he's got buried shame knowing the Cheats are... well... cheaters of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by LBF View Post
    I'm not sure anyone has made this comparison, but losing to Carolina in the FF of K's last run would be similar to the feeling that Kentucky fans must have felt when CL buried the dagger. They feel it whenever there is a Duke/KY matchup or even just fan to fan encounters. It's a forever thing, or at least until some equal level retribution.
    Maybe, but Kentucky got a significant measure of revenge in the 1998 Elite Eight by beating Duke in a game the Blue Devils had led by 18 points. And Kentucky went on to win the national championship that year, so……