Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

2022 ACC Tournament Discussion

Bob Green

Not expecting us to get past the semis. Not an overreaction to the egg we laid last night. I just don't think this team will recover emotionally from losing K's last game in Cameron. Last night was an absolute derailment. We haven't played that bad defensively since the loss to UVA. I just don't see us rebounding emotionally to win the ACCT.

And I'll add that if FSU knocks off Cuse, it's very conceivable that we get bounced Thurs. FSU is playing much better basketball recently.

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Not expecting us to get past the semis. Not an overreaction to the egg we laid last night. I just don't think this team will recover emotionally from losing K's last game in Cameron. Last night was an absolute derailment. We haven't played that bad defensively since the loss to UVA. I just don't see us rebounding emotionally to win the ACCT.
    “Not an overreaction to the loss, we just can’t recover from it. “ interesting take. I don’t think any of us know how the emotional response will look. Let’s see what the hell happens.

The Payback Path

We have a route to the title that could include matchups with Florida State, Miami, and then UNC.

Each has a victory over Duke in the regular season, and each has presented major problems with their guard play and ability to penetrate.

A major test for the Duke defense, but a successful run would bode well for our prospects in the NCAA tournament. How do we solve our defensive problems?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    “Not an overreaction to the loss, we just can’t recover from it. “ interesting take. I don’t think any of us know how the emotional response will look. Let’s see what the hell happens.
    Our GOAT coach is now VERY engaged in this team stepping up to the challenges.

In K I trust. I think he'll figure out the right buttons to press in order to use last night as an advantage.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I'll start the prediction fun. I'm not sold on the revenge tour.

Day 1
    BC over Pitt
    Clemson over State
    Louisville over GT

Day 2
    FSU over Syracuse
    Wake over BC
    VT over Clemson
    UVA over Louisville

Day 3
    Duke over FSU
    Wake over Miami
    ND over VT (I'm 50-50 here)
    UVA over UNC

Day 4
    Duke over Wake
    ND over UVA (I'm 50-50 here)

Day 5
    Duke over ND in a tougher one than before. I would rather play UVA or VT.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I'll start the prediction fun. I'm not sold on the revenge tour.

Day 1
    BC over Pitt
    Clemson over State
    Louisville over GT

Day 2
    FSU over Syracuse
    Wake over BC
    VT over Clemson
    UVA over Louisville

Day 3
    Duke over FSU
    Wake over Miami
    ND over VT (I'm 50-50 here)
    UVA over UNC

Day 4
    Duke over Wake
    ND over UVA (I'm 50-50 here)

Day 5
    Duke over ND in a tougher one than before. I would rather play UVA or VT.
    I think we get knocked off by FSU. Hope I'm wrong.

FSU has already beaten us once, and then played us tough while depleted. They're getting back to full health so I expect that game to be a tossup. Obviously I'd be thrilled if Syracuse can knock them off instead. Miami beat us using the same formula that UNC just used - spread us out, blow by our guards, force the help and then dish for a wide open dunk or three. As down as the ACC is, we have a series of potential terrible matchups. It's still our tournament to lose, but we'll have to work hard to shake off last night and get back to our solid defense which we've seen for stretches but hasn't always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    FSU has already beaten us once, and then played us tough while depleted. They're getting back to full health so I expect that game to be a tossup. Obviously I'd be thrilled if Syracuse can knock them off instead. Miami beat us using the same formula that UNC just used - spread us out, blow by our guards, force the help and then dish for a wide open dunk or three. As down as the ACC is, we have a series of potential terrible matchups. It's still our tournament to lose, but we'll have to work hard to shake off last night and get back to our solid defense which we've seen for stretches but hasn't always been there.
    Nothing against you personally Cake but I’m getting so tired of the “bad matchup” crutch. Having guards drive into the lane to create for themselves, for dump offs, and to kick out for three-point shots is just the way basketball is played now by lots and lots of teams. If you cannot defend against that, that does not mean it is a “bad matchup” for you. It means your basketball team has a significant weakness.

I used to like bracket theory. I don’t get this bracket. It seems like of all the double-bye teams, the number one (Duke!!! Woo-hoo!) has the worst draw, by design. We have no chance to face a low seed upset, and our opponent will have only played one game rather than two, like the other three double-bye teams. After one game you come in warmed up, after two in a row you come in dog tired. I just don’t get this bracket. I thought the number one seed was supposed to get the easiest road to the championship game. This is not that, by a long stretch, because the difference between a warmed up opponent and a tired opponent in your first game is like night and day. Thoughts?

Offensively, we need less dribbling, more moving and passing. If you can get into the paint, keep doing it. It frustrated me seeing guys shooting jump shots and less attacking the paint in the 2nd half. Paolo loves that jumper of his when he has the physical presence to dominate the paint. Moore need to attack the paint

Defensively, if the team struggle with on-ball pressure, do that. If they're getting to the paint easily, play off or zone

Also, not happy our game is at 12pm

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    I used to like bracket theory. I don’t get this bracket. It seems like of all the double-bye teams, the number one (Duke!!! Woo-hoo!) has the worst draw, by design. We have no chance to face a low seed upset, and our opponent will have only played one game rather than two, like the other three double-bye teams. After one game you come in warmed up, after two in a row you come in dog tired. I just don’t get this bracket. I thought the number one seed was supposed to get the easiest road to the championship game. This is not that, by a long stretch, because the difference between a warmed up opponent and a tired opponent in your first game is like night and day. Thoughts?
    The bracketing assumes that form holds, i.e. #1 is guaranteed to play the worst seeds (8/9) if the better seeded team wins each of the games from the earlier rounds. Also, all low seeded teams will play the same number of games (1) before starting to meet each other. Of course form rarely holds and the advantages/disadvantages you describe could come into play. Can’t see a better way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak P View Post
    Offensively, we need less dribbling, more moving and passing. If you can get into the paint, keep doing it. It frustrated me seeing guys shooting jump shots and less attacking the paint in the 2nd half. Paolo loves that jumper of his when he has the physical presence to dominate the paint. Moore need to attack the paint

Defensively, if the team struggle with on-ball pressure, do that. If they're getting to the paint easily, play off or zone

Also, not happy our game is at 12pm
    Last night's loss comes down to one aspect. Terrible defense. Atrocious defense. The offense wasn't the issue. Would could not stop dribble drives, we could not stop the high pick and roll. And that opened up the entire floor. That's it. Nothing else really. And if we can't defend any better, FSU will knock us off and we'll be looking at a 2nd rd exit in the NCAAs. Its conceivable to say our 2nd rd opponent will be our toughest opponent of the season, moreso than a November Gonzaga or Kentucky team.

Quote Originally Posted by kidA View Post
    You are right; curiously, we are the only team that has a double-bye that doesn't face a team that has already played two games. Weird how it is set-up.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Last night's loss comes down to one aspect. Terrible defense. Atrocious defense. The offense wasn't the issue. Would could not stop dribble drives, we could not stop the high pick and roll. And that opened up the entire floor. That's it. Nothing else really. And if we can't defend any better, FSU will knock us off and we'll be looking at a 2nd rd exit in the NCAAs. Its conceivable to say our 2nd rd opponent will be our toughest opponent of the season, moreso than a November Gonzaga or Kentucky team.
    Well you still have to score more points- so there is something else.

Amazing the nay sayers.

Five losses. Four very close ones. A fifth under unprecedented circumstances that we can all agree we should have played much better in.

I suspect we come out Thursday all business and ready to get past the nostalgia tour.

I think we get knocked off by FSU. Hope I'm wrong.
    Cuse has played FSU tough even with FSU at full strength- not sure that is a gimme

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You are right; curiously, we are the only team that has a double-bye that doesn't face a team that has already played two games. Weird how it is set-up.
    That's not accurate. If the 5th, 6th, and 7th seeded teams hold serve and beat their opponents , then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seeded teams will play an opponent who has only played one game.