Is Duke basketball still about winning championships?

Or is it all about making money now?
    I have a trained monkey. After the 2018 season with Zion, Barrett and Reddish he told me, "This one and done sheet ain't never going to win anything." Even he sees it.
    Yet, we continue to recruit these uncoached high school superstars and bring them in for a year to prep them to make millions while the duke coach makes $7 million and the school makes ZILLIONS. And we the fans have very high hopes early on while the superior athleticism of our one and dones win games and as the season moves along and the experienced teams begin to gel our high school heroes begin to struggle and finally at the end of the year when these experienced teams come completely together, hitting on all cylinders, our heroes get their asses handed to them. And we the fans are left talking about the "glory days" when Laettner and Hurley slaughtered anyone that got in the way. Then next year, with a new coach, who has never been the head coach in Pop Warner ball, makes the $7 million just like the 43 year legend, it starts all over again.
    My monkey said this morning,"Its no longer about winning championships, its all about money now. We spent it, they made it and we don't have sheet to show for it." My monkey is no longer blind to what is going on here, but many of us still are.

Careful man, lots of people are sensitive to truth, and there's a lot of that here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley43 View Post
    I have a trained monkey. After the 2018 season with Zion, Barrett and Reddish he told me, "This one and done sheet ain't never going to win anything." Even he sees it.
    Yet, we continue to recruit these uncoached high school superstars and bring them in for a year to prep them to make millions while the duke coach makes $7 million and the school makes ZILLIONS. And we the fans have very high hopes early on while the superior athleticism of our one and dones win games and as the season moves along and the experienced teams begin to gel our high school heroes begin to struggle and finally at the end of the year when these experienced teams come completely together, hitting on all cylinders, our heroes get their asses handed to them. And we the fans are left talking about the "glory days" when Laettner and Hurley slaughtered anyone that got in the way. Then next year, with a new coach, who has never been the head coach in Pop Warner ball, makes the $7 million just like the 43 year legend, it starts all over again.
    My monkey said this morning,"Its no longer about winning championships, its all about money now. We spent it, they made it and we don't have sheet to show for it." My monkey is no longer blind to what is going on here, but many of us still are.
    Just don't.

You really think the reason we didn't win last night and conclude ACC play with another championship is because we are chasing the money?

Hurley and Laettner ain't walking through that door.

This post is insulting to our players and staff

This team won an ACC regular season championship this year though. Something that hadn’t been done outright since 2006. Think about all the seniors and upperclassmen Duke had since then that failed to accomplish that. Duke won ACCT banners in 2017 and 2019 with freshmen heavy teams too so they have won several championships.

it depends on who you ask. (well, they'll all *say* it's about winning...)

To the team/program: it's about winning

To the athletic department/AD: it's about money

To the university administration/President: it's about marketing
    April 1

Troll Alert
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

We continue to recruit these uncoached high school superstars and bring them in for a year to prep them to make millions while the duke coach makes $7 million.
    Ha! Coach K would never work for a relatively paltry $7 million. Come on. man. 😉

Mike Young has a 5 year contract at VT which he signed in 2019. The details are here.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/a...tract-details/

He is making millions of dollars and that is what the market demands. I don't think head coach salary is the issue.

Couldn't agree more. The sad reality is that Coach K and our staff have been sub par strategically for the last decade. Great recruiter: yes, great motivator: yes, bottom half of the conference in terms of X's and O's: yes.

Our teams from November-December would beat our teams from February - March.