Thread: Electric Razor

Question Electric Razor

I'm looking to buy an electronic razor, but I'm also looking for some help. I've never purchased one before and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best razors on the market. I'm interested in buying a Norelco 8060X, which has pivot blades and is self moisturizing, but it's also $150. Not sure if that's a good deal or not? Does anyone have some experience with this particular model or any model for that matter? I'm open to any possibilities (not just Norelco) and I was hoping there were some people on here who would be able to recommend some good electric razors. Thanks for the help!

I once owned a Norelco (not sure of the model number). It gave a mediocre shave and was of mediocre durability. I'm curious as to why you want an electric? In my experience, they leave much to be desired as far as giving you a clean, close shave. Unless you're particularly hirsute and want an "in-betweener" or something, I'd think twice.

I would go with a Panasonic - $80-100 range

Personally I like the speed and convenience of an electric. Then again, no one has ever mistaken me for throatybeard. I could try to grow that bad boy for 6 months and have nothing of consequence to show for it.
    I've owned three - a panasonic, a remington, and a panasonic in that order.

The panasonics have been fine, great actually. The remington fell apart after about 8 months and never worked very well. I'd steer clear.

One thing to keep in mind is how expensive the cleaning/self lubricating supplies are. Most of the cleaning stuff lasts for about a month before having to be replaced, and they can be $10-$20 apiece. You don't have to use the cleaner if you don't want to, but it certainly keeps it running smoothly. There's also something called 'lectric shave' which goes on before your shave, and helps give you a closer cut. I recommend it as well.
    "There can BE only one."

I've been using electric razors for 20 years and haven't had any troubles with them. Wilson is right, you gon't get as close a shave as a blade, but it takes me less time with my electric than it does to use a blade. Also, using a blade caused me too many ingrown hairs. I have seen the ads for the moisturizing razors etc. but haven't gone for any of them. I have fairly soft facial skin, don't have thick beard growth, and generally shower before shaving. So, basically, other than the ingrown issue, not a very demanding shaver.

I have used Remington(Victor Kiam was it), Norelco, Panasonic, and Braun razors over those 20 years. The $49.95 Braun I got at Wal-mart provided me with the best shave for the 5-6 years that it worked.

Norelco Rotary

I'm a big fan of the Norelco Rotary Razor, just about any version. I currently have one of the XL versions where there are more holes/slots for more blade exposure and it is better/closer than the standard head. You can currently find one such model at Sam's Club for under $90. I had thought about the lubricating models, but chose this instead.

Oh, the Norelco Rotary is much better than the Remington rotary. And I find that the non-rotary electrics gave me razor burn - never with the rotary.

BTW, I believe we had a similar discussion about 2 years ago. Not quite worthy of an HPR reference, but getting there!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Norelco

I've been using a Norelco for 15 years. Actually, it's the same exact one, it's lasted this long with no problems. For my "moderately hirsute" visage, it works good enough for me. I've got no desire to go for one of those fancy lubricating ones.

I've been using different Norelco Rotary razors for the past 25 years. I tried a couple Remintong's but decided to go back to Norelco. My only complaint is that I have gone through several rechargeable models and the battery dies after several years. In fact I am now using an old plug in model after the last battery would not hold a charge.

Let's not forget Norelco's extra inch.

-jk

What's the case for electrics? I've never used one, and I've never really thought about it. I enjoy the process of shaving with my fancy pants Kiehl's products, and I've never felt like the manual process is too slow.

I've heard a couple points in favor of electrics here: speed and comfort. Are there others?

Not really, that is about it. Blade gives a better overall shave, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    I've been using different Norelco Rotary razors for the past 25 years. I tried a couple Remintong's but decided to go back to Norelco. My only complaint is that I have gone through several rechargeable models and the battery dies after several years. In fact I am now using an old plug in model after the last battery would not hold a charge.
    Yes, I've replaced my Norelcos when the batter charge holding capacity is no longer satisfactory, usually 3 to 5 years. If you went back to a corded razor, why didn't you just plug in your rechargeable and use it corded?

Also, be sure to take the rotary head completely apart and thoroughly clean out the blades and cage every couple of weeks. It takes 5 to 10 minutes. You'll be amazed at how much better it shaves when it is clean - closer and faster.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    . I'm curious as to why you want an electric? In my experience, they leave much to be desired as far as giving you a clean, close shave. Unless you're particularly hirsute and want an "in-betweener" or something, I'd think twice.

That's sort of my problem. I've always used a regular blade and it works great for having a clean shave. However, now that it's a little colder outside, I like having a little more scruff and I want to be able to keep a little of it instead of shaving it all off every time I use my blade. I tried a trimmer but it didn't really do much because my facial hair wasn't long enough. So I guess I'm looking for exactly what you mentioned, an "in-betweener". Also, the girlfriend seems to be a big fan of a little facial hair.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Also, the girlfriend seems to be a big fan of a little facial hair.
    Grow a mustache. I've had mine for almost 26 years now. My dad has had his for probably close to 70 years. He's 93, I'm 53, and I've never seen him without one.

9F 9F 9F

That's sort of my problem. I've always used a regular blade and it works great for having a clean shave. However, now that it's a little colder outside, I like having a little more scruff and I want to be able to keep a little of it instead of shaving it all off every time I use my blade. I tried a trimmer but it didn't really do much because my facial hair wasn't long enough. So I guess I'm looking for exactly what you mentioned, an "in-betweener". Also, the girlfriend seems to be a big fan of a little facial hair.
    I'm lucky, as the gf seems to be a fan of a lot of facial hair. I'm sporting a full beard. For the past three years, I've been going 6 months on and 6 months off...stop shaving around Labor Day and shave again in March. It works nicely. I often refer to my beard as "my winter coat."

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes, I've replaced my Norelcos when the batter charge holding capacity is no longer satisfactory, usually 3 to 5 years. If you went back to a corded razor, why didn't you just plug in your rechargeable and use it corded?
    You'd think that would work, but it runs at a much slower speed once it has lost it's charge, even plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm lucky, as the gf seems to be a fan of a lot of facial hair. I'm sporting a full beard. For the past three years, I've been going 6 months on and 6 months off...stop shaving around Labor Day and shave again in March. It works nicely. I often refer to my beard as "my winter coat."
    Used to have a beard, and I let it grow for every vacation, but it is starting to come in gray and I will have none of that. My beard used to age me about 10 years, get a gray one and I will start getting senior citizen discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfrosh View Post
    ...I will start getting senior citizen discounts.
    Isn't everyone in that category in Winter Park?

Electrics are just awful. If you want an in-betweener look or are worried about windburn on cold days, just shave with the grain using your blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Electrics are just awful. If you want an in-betweener look or are worried about windburn on cold days, just shave with the grain using your blade.
    Ever since that regrettable 3 month period in 2003 when I watch Queer Eye regularly, I've shaved with the grain. I'm fine with the length.

beard trimmer

I've had a real light beard for the last 4 years or so. I use a Norelco beard trimmer (set to "3") to trim every 2-3 days (keeping things pretty short) and I use my regular Norelco shaver to trim everything else. With the Norelco beard trimmer set to its lowest setting, you can get a real short scruff.