Page 13 of 90 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Russia banned from the World Cup: https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-eur...raine-invasion

While this may not seem like a big deal, it is a huge deal for Russian fans (which is basically the whole country of Russia).

Russia still had a great opportunity to qualify. That is no longer the case.

I cannot think of another time when a country was outright banned from the World Cup. And if it does exist, they don't have a top 50 squad (which Russia does).
    This is indeed a big deal.

Though it's not a first. As a rising European power, Yugoslavia would have been among the favorites at USA 1994 (and may well have been the favorite at Euro '92) before being banned owing to the Balkan civil wars.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is indeed a big deal.

Though it's not a first. As a rising European power, Yugoslavia would have been among the favorites at USA 1994 (and may well have been the favorite at Euro '92) before being banned owing to the Balkan civil wars.
    Super interesting. That makes sense.

Europe shuts down every 2 summers (for the Euro and for the World Cup). This year, Europe will shut down in late November to Christmas. It's a great honor to be in the World Cup.

Now, all of Russia will watch the World Cup as hundreds of players and millions of fans don 'No War' and 'Peace' related clothing.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm not sure that you couldn't say the same thing about the United States.
    Well, I think we could count Grenada a win...

Actually, while I don't consider myself a student of warfare, I have always felt that H.W. Bush did a masterful job of putting together a coalition to drive Iraq out of Kuwait. While I don't believe that there is ever a "good" war (maybe a rare necessary one), Iraq 1 was at least fought for the right reason. JMO of course.

Section 15

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Now, all of Russia will watch the World Cup as hundreds of players and millions of fans don 'No War' and 'Peace' related clothing.
    They'll do the same during the Eurovision song contest, since they got booted from that, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Russia banned from the World Cup: https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-eur...raine-invasion

While this may not seem like a big deal, it is a huge deal for Russian fans (which is basically the whole country of Russia).

I cannot think of another time when a country was outright banned from the World Cup. And if it does exist, they don't have a top 50 squad (which Russia does).
    I don't recall the exact circumstances (at what point want it even a country anymore?) but Yugoslavia was banned from the 92 Euros(Denmark came in there place and won) and for the 94 World Cup.

Quick question

Are we allowed to be anti-Russia on this thread, or is that deemed 'political'?

Just trying to understand how to post in this thread...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is correct, and in fact, minimization of Russian sacrifices on the Eastern Front is a major ongoing source of Russia's animus toward the West.
    It is unfortunate the the vast majority of Americans have no idea how much the Soviet Union lost during WWII...not at all to minimize American sacrifice, because that was real and heroic, but the U.S lost roughly 400,000 soldiers during the war, the Soviet Union lost 9-11 million...and another 14 million civilians (1) for a total of 24 million people, roughly 50 times as many as the U.S. lost. (source of the data is the National WWII Museum in New Orleans..
    Many of the battles were of staggering proportions, an example being the battle of Kursk, featuring 6,000 tanks, two million men, and 4000 aircraft...

Of course having said all that, this makes the Russkis not one more whit sympathetic or responsible for what they're doing now.

Are we allowed to be anti-Russia on this thread, or is that deemed 'political'?

Just trying to understand how to post in this thread...
    Of course you can be negative about Russia. You're a veteran around here. If You Can Be personally offended by broad social trends you will have to respond. If you have nothing to add but would like to push back against something that you don't care about, you should do that as well. So regular posting rules apply.

The unfortunate thing is we need to distinguish between Russians in general, and what the Russians are currently doing, completely due to the fantasies and insecurities of one man.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The unfortunate thing is we need to distinguish between Russians in general, and what the Russians are currently doing, completely due to the fantasies and insecurities of one man.
    I'd actually reframe this, to say that the unfortunate bit is that we can't make such a distinction, and the current set of responses are the least bad of a host of imperfect choices.

Sounds like a job for the Grand Inquisitor.

Just as many Europeans viewed Americans based on the actions of one man in recent history...I agree.

Some Russians with high profiles like new world #1 tennis player Daniil Medvedev have released statements asking for peace and the like. They're not necessarily a sharp rebuke of current Russian actions directly, but certainly, give a little bit of pushback on it. Rublev, world #7, also wrote "No war please" on a camera after a match.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Interesting tactic.

Ukraine is offering Russian soldiers cash to stop fighting in a Kremlin-ordered invasion of the country.

“We offer Russian soldiers a choice: to die in an unjust war or a full amnesty and 5 million rubles in compensation. If they lay down their arms and surrender voluntarily,” Ukrainian Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov said in a statement posted to the department’s Twitter account.

The offer of 5 million rubles is worth less than $50,000 dollars as the currency has cratered amid global sanctions levied against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-m...083437704.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Seems brilliant. I hope we fund this.

I believe this is a big deal because it will be very hard to spin this on the Russian side. It's one thing to claim that Ukraine is full of nazis etc. How do you explain that the global sports world has aligned with Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Seems brilliant. I hope we fund this.
    I would donate to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I would donate to the cause.
    Ya got some rubles in those ruby reds?

A Ruble is now worth less than one US penny.

Also, Switzerland has ended their neutrality over this war and is adopting sanctions. Unkown if they plan on also sending pocket knives to the Ukraine.

A Ruble is now worth less than one US penny.

Also, Switzerland has ended their neutrality over this war and is adopting sanctions. Unkown if they plan on also sending pocket knives to the Ukraine.
    Now this is a good post. Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Just as many Europeans viewed Americans based on the actions of one man in recent history...I agree.

Some Russians with high profiles like new world #1 tennis player Daniil Medvedev have released statements asking for peace and the like. They're not necessarily a sharp rebuke of current Russian actions directly, but certainly, give a little bit of pushback on it. Rublev, world #7, also wrote "No war please" on a camera after a match.
    It's pretty different.

For decades and decades and decades, Western Europeans (important distinction) have always had respect for the US. That recent history you speak of certainly changed the level of positivity, but it was still positive.

With Russia, there has been a growing number of US/W European detractors for the last decade+. And what happened last week solidified a highly negative association with Putin and the country. It will take decades for Russia to get in the good graces of the Western world.

Ukraine, on the other hand, is a unique case. It took 5 days for Ukraine to become the darling of the world. Rightly so.