Page 68 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1787
    Ukrainians missed a huge opportunity yesterday. One good sniper with eyes on the Kerch Strait bridge, and they could have gotten the big prize.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Ukrainians missed a huge opportunity yesterday. One good sniper with eyes on the Kerch Strait bridge, and they could have gotten the big prize.
    I'm not sure that wouldn't have the opposite effect of what I think we all want.

And if Putin is truly on his last legs health-wise, I'm not sure he wouldn't want to go out a martyr. The only thing that stops me from thinking that is he surely would have used his own sniper.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Vlad doesn't look like a guy on his last legs, to me anyway...I remember Fidel dying about eight times before he finally did, not to mention Ginger Baker who I think nearly died weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Vlad doesn't look like a guy on his last legs, to me anyway...I remember Fidel dying about eight times before he finally did, not to mention Ginger Baker who I think nearly died weekly.
    Vlad couldn't handle Ginger's weekly regimen.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Kim Jong-Un has taken a stab at it a couple times, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    That would have led to jubilation across the world! For half of Russia as well I suspect.

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this, closest thread I could find. Mods please move if appropriate.

Brittney Griner being released in prisoner swap.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cad492df553f3b

NY Times Magnus Opus

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-ukraine.html

paywall or not, this has to be the most thorough article regarding VLad's thinking (and the Russian military) since the war began. Astounding levels of detail.

If you're interested in a special perspective on the war, check out David Letterman's interview of Zelensky which was done in a subway station in Kyiv.

It's available on Netflix as part of his "My Next Guest..." series.

Compelling speech this evening by The president of Ukraine . Though not surprising, I was struck by his earnestness and courage. He wasn’t here on a sightseeing mission. You could tell that he understood the gravity of the moment even as he battles incredible distractions at home. His attention for the moment was the audience in front of him and he did his history homework. His command of the stage and his presentation and attire was a cagey gambit to appeal to the American audience—to their sense of purpose that they have the privilege to support a humanitarian and noble democratic cause of self sacrifice and determination. We Americans admire and cheer for humble men who rise above their station in life and like Don Quixote charge that fantasy windmill . But this as he said is not just his reality and not just his fight; it’s a stark reality that he laid out in black and white as a battle between good and evil that transcends politics. Of course there are some politicians who just cannot be reached and I thought it was shameless that a few failed to acknowledge his humanity with appropriate respect and applause.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Compelling speech this evening by The president of Ukraine . Though not surprising, I was struck by his earnestness and courage. He wasn’t here on a sightseeing mission. You could tell that he understood the gravity of the moment even as he battles incredible distractions at home. His attention for the moment was the audience in front of him and he did his history homework. His command of the stage and his presentation and attire was a cagey gambit to appeal to the American audience—to their sense of purpose that they have the privilege to support a humanitarian and noble democratic cause of self sacrifice and determination. We Americans admire and cheer for humble men who rise above their station in life and like Don Quixote charge that fantasy windmill . But this as he said is not just his reality and not just his fight; it’s a stark reality that he laid out in black and white as a battle between good and evil that transcends politics. Of course there are some politicians who just cannot be reached and I thought it was shameless that a few failed to acknowledge his humanity with appropriate respect and applause.
    The world is truly upside down. The love it or leave crowd from the Vietnam era, my generation, now seem to support maybe the most evil man since Hitler. Democrats support the war effort, but many on the right appear almost to root for Putin. I’m not for starting WW3, but the free world cannot let Putin obliterate Ukraine. How anyone can see the suffering the Ukrainians are enduring and not support all the aid they need is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    The world is truly upside down. The love it or leave crowd from the Vietnam era, my generation, now seem to support maybe the most evil man since Hitler. Democrats support the war effort, but many on the right appear almost to root for Putin. I’m not for starting WW3, but the free world cannot let Putin obliterate Ukraine. How anyone can see the suffering the Ukrainians are enduring and not support all the aid they need is beyond me.
    Ronald Reagan is spinning in his grave.

The war is so asymmetrical. Russia can bomb the hell out of Ukraine from safety behind their borders. Ever since the Russian army was put under new competent command Russia has been taking advantage of this, destroying Ukraine infrastructure with impunity. They aren’t sending as many soldiers on no-chance suicide missions and instead retreated to start regrouping. If they are able to add in 10’s of thousands of Belarusian soldiers Ukraine is in a world of hurt. I see no way this war doesn’t go on for years. Ukraine isn’t giving up until they’ve run out of men and the country has being bombed into rubble.

The only compromise to get peace that I see as even remotely possible is Ukraine in exhaustion finally agreeing to give up all claims to Crimea and to not join NATO in exchange for Putin recognizing the rest of Ukraine as an independent nation. Of course neither side is likely to make such concessions before every other option had been completely exhausted. Hence years of war.

Unfortunately with the smarter conduct of the war by Russia I also see for the first time a real possibility of Ukraine ultimately being defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    He was amazing. As he has been throughout this war. Tireless, persistent but also smart and strategic. I say tireless but last night he looked utterly exhausted but soldiered on. A once a century leader making history. Man do I wish him luck.
    Last edited by Skydog; 12-22-2022 at 11:48 AM.

I wish they only seemed to support him. There is a significant portion of our media and one of our great political parties that are clearly in favor of genocide in Ukraine. I can't begin to understand why this is. There is no law against having an opinion, but sometimes it's hard to get why some people think the way they do. As far as providing weapons to Ukraine goes, I think it's time to seriously turn on the taps. I read somewhere that Ukrainian pilots have been training on western fighters: assuming that's true we should give them whatever they need and dare the Russians to respond against us. Human decency demands no less.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    one of our great political parties that are clearly in favor of genocide in Ukraine. I can't begin to understand why this is
    wrong thread.

I recommend this is a well thought-out, creative counter-factual assessment, which begins from the the attempt to imagine what would have happened if the US and Europe had not helped Ukraine, and if Russia had occupied the country. In other words, What would the world look like now? (Published today in The Atlantic.)

The Brutal Alternate World in Which the U.S. Abandoned Ukraine:
    Ukrainian resistance and American support prevented a wide range of horrors.

By Anne Applebaum

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...upport/672547/

(I'd summarize the piece here, but it's a breezy read.)

It's fairly simple one dictator vs another .I believe we should send humanitarian aid for the people.
    I do not believe one dime of my tax money should go to float the Ukrainian government .nor should my/our military equipment or advisors be sent to Ukraine
    . All paid for by my/our tax money.
    Both governments are dictatorships one just has more resources.
    My dislike of our tax expenditures by our government non party specific. Both are dirty. Isn't limited to just ukraine.its just another expenditure I do not care for.
    Our politician continue to write checks on our backs our children's backs.
    Enough is enough.

They can go get the equipment we left
    In Afghanistan.
    Why do we have to be the ones .Europe is fully capable of supplying the ukraine
    With anything they need. Euros and military equipment personnel ect.with out our help. I believe it's time other countries anti up and do thier share.
    We spend way to much money abroad that could be spent here at home.

Syria. ...
    Somalia. ...
    Burkina Faso & The Sahel. ...
    Democratic Republic of Congo. ...
    Central African Republic. ...
    South Sudan. ...
    Ukraine.

All are under serious civil unrest .
    Humanitarian aid only.

Do I feel for the Ukrainians sure they are people just like we are.but I also fear The burden put on my children and grandchildren for decades to come by frivolous spending
    I'll have to chose my families future over thier families now.
    Is it selfish yep sure is .

I'm not sure how that will be interpreted. No disrespect intended.
    That's how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    It's fairly simple one dictator vs another... Both governments are dictatorships one just has more resources... That's how I feel.
    You may feel that way, and clearly do. But people who know a great deal more than you or I about Russia and Ukraine since, say, World War II, would not substantiate your feeling. They would disagree with your “fairly simple” take in very strong terms.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    It's fairly simple one dictator vs another
    You do realize that Zakensky was democratically elected in 2019 right? In what way is he a dictator?