Page 2 of 90 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Vlad is still despondent over the breakup of the Soviet Union...he felt it was an absolute tragedy...so anything he can do to reconstitute the old USSR works for him. Unfortunately, he's a guy with a lot of military power and essentially NO domestic brakes on his behavior, so ti's difficult to tell what comes next. Grabbing Ukraine seems to be a fait accompli...not sure how he will react to heavy sanctions, since he's been hoarding his oil money for just such an occasion.
    Don't put it past time to have his minions hack U.S. banks, hospitals (they whacked our hospital last year), even power grids...he's angry and not entirely rational.

Some of the network imbeciles seem to focus on gas prices. This issue is going to impact a whole lot more than gas prices.
    To underscore your point here's a tweet from Martha Raddatz invoking a Pentagon source/acquaintance:

Martha Raddatz
    @MarthaRaddatz
    ·
    12h
    Three hours before the invasion began I got this sobering message here in Ukraine from a senior pentagon official “You are likely in the last few hours of peace on the European continent for a long time to come. Be careful “

I tend to be a sucker for postmodern thinking and find it perplexing that one imbecile can foment so much global chaos in the name of nationalistic unity.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 02-24-2022 at 11:20 AM. Reason: and that there are multiple examples of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I actually think he’s very rationale, which is what makes him extremely dangerous. It’s just that his North Star against which his rationality is guided is not the same as that for you or me.
    THIS. I agree with Susan Glasser, who co-wrote "Kremlin Rising":

“Vladimir Putin is in a war with history. He is establishing what he sees as his legacy as the great restorer of Russia. He came to power more than two decades ago with a campaign theme that might be familiar here in the United States, which was essentially ‘Make Russia Great Again.’ And in his view Russia was a great empire and empire needs territory and it needs breathing space, to use a horrifying echo of 20th century European wars. And Vladimir Putin is the restorer….He wants to be Vlad the Great and this is his bid for immortality.”

Where Putin goes from here is anyone's guess. But I have to believe he'll keep pushing until someone stops him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post

“Vladimir Putin is in a war with history. He is establishing what he sees as his legacy as the great restorer of Russia. He came to power more than two decades ago with a campaign theme that might be familiar here in the United States, which was essentially ‘Make Russia Great Again.’ And in his view Russia was a great empire and empire needs territory and it needs breathing space, to use a horrifying echo of 20th century European wars. And Vladimir Putin is the restorer….He wants to be Vlad the Great and this is his bid for immortality.”

Where Putin goes from here is anyone's guess. But I have to believe he'll keep pushing until someone stops him.
    I don't think I'd call that rational thinking, because he isn't going to be able to do that...but I agree that's what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Whatever you do, DO NOT bring up Woodrow Wilson. Trust me on this one.

(Any discussion of domestic politics descends into partisan bickering eventually, and The Mod Squad doesn’t want to referee. It’s not the tone they want for a quality sports chat site).
    I have 14 reasons to bring him up.

And if he is stopped physically….where does he go from there? That’s what scares me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    And if he is stopped physically….where does he go from there? That’s what scares me the most.
    True. He's nearing 70 and might just be of the mindset to go out in a blaze. Not pleasant to consider.

It’s a weird situation that could quickly escalate into nukes flying all the place which would essentially set us back hundreds of years. People may think that it’s not possible but it really only takes one country to start it all…..
    “I don’t know what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and rocks.”

—Al Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have 14 reasons to bring him up.
    And your Point is?

I don't think I'd call that rational thinking, because he isn't going to be able to do that...but I agree that's what he wants.
    I guess I'm drawing a distinction between a "rational thinking" nut-job and a complete nut-job. One is guided by some weird principle they think is everything. The other is guided by nothing and might do anything.

And your Point is?
    Do let me know the next time any of my posts have a point won't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Do let me know the next time any of my posts have a point won't you?
    Yup. I’ll be the first to tell you.

Who is there to stop him? Over the past 20 years the US has really hollowed out our forces in Europe and none of the European countries really have much in the way of a serious military. They have some good equipment, but not nearly enough.

Not that I think Russia will continue outside of Ukraine. They'll pause and take another bite in a few more years.

Yup. I’ll be the first to tell you.
    I'm searching for something positive in the news of the day, sardonic wit gets me maybe halfway there.

Whatever you do, DO NOT bring up Woodrow Wilson. Trust me on this one.

(Any discussion of domestic politics descends into partisan bickering eventually, and The Mod Squad doesn’t want to referee. It’s not the tone they want for a quality sports chat site).
    If only William Henry Harrison had spent more than 32 days in office we'd all be better off today. Go ahead, flame away. Ban me. Given the importance of my beliefs I can live with that.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I guess I'm drawing a distinction between a "rational thinking" nut-job and a complete nut-job. One is guided by some weird principle they think is everything. The other is guided by nothing and might do anything.
    OK, I can see that. He's just not going to be able to re-grab all the old Soviet republics...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If only William Henry Harrison had spent more than 32 days in office we'd all be better off today. Go ahead, flame away. Ban me. Given the importance of my beliefs I can live with that.
    Thinking about that gives me Chester A Arthuritis.

OK, I can see that. He's just not going to be able to re-grab all the old Soviet republics...
    I would assume the two he wants are Ukraine and Georgia.

I believe this is the correct link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/23/o...-invasion.html
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I'm searching for something positive in the news of the day, sardonic wit gets me maybe halfway there.
    Great! I’m often told that I’m a half-wit!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Could not give Sporkz.