Wait, That Guy Looks Familiar!

Anyone recognize the guy on the train near the end of this commercial??

https://youtu.be/ZwYIGzyUlwY

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post

I just noticed the same thing!

This should probably go in the NIL thread.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYIGzyUlwY
    Making Banc
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yes, I had to back up the DVR a few times!

Jdsports.com for anyone so inclined to click. It may be that the impact of readers here would be limited, allot of traffic to their site wouldn't hurt the perception of the value of the Duke "brand".http://jdsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Jdsports.com for anyone so inclined to click. It may be that the impact of readers here would be limited, allot of traffic to their site wouldn't hurt the perception of the value of the Duke "brand".http://jdsports.com
    Wow. That’s a big company. 2021 revenue over £6B. Traded on the LSE. Looks like the US is a new market for them.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Nice spot PSurprise! Very quick reaction.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It'$ a Brave New World !

I had noticed this when I saw it the first time but wow was that short- almost subliminal.

I'm very interested in how the NCAA intends to ensure that NIL deals aren't linked to agreeing 5o attend a particular school. It seems like the NCAA just stepped aside and offered no guidance, opening the door with no thought of how to provide oversite and maintain any sense of integrity. It's going to be hard, if even possible, to regain any sense of control once the $ starts flowing. This may seem fine now, since, as usual, Coach K has been anticipating this for years and has been positioning Duke to be in prime position to benefit. But other schools won't have to spend years building up their brand when they can use rich alumni to just throw money at recruits. I won't be at all surprised to see Jordan brand, in particular, take a special interest in high school recruits (I'll be watching one in particular).

Coach K has done a great job anticipating what lies ahead and positioning Duke to succeed after he leaves with the team's social media presence, The Brotherhood branding, etc. But there is no denying the fact that he, himself, is a huge part of Duke's draw. Hopefully Scheyers incredible start to recruiting gets him off to a hot start so he is seen as THE hot young coach who can continue Duke's success so Duke and its players remain top targets of advertisers. I know there has been talk about Coach K maintaining a office, that he won't be at games like Roy Williams, etc but I believe it would be beneficial to Scheyer or the program for Coach K to maintain a high profile for as long as possible, balancing his presence with a clear public understanding that Scheyer is now in charge of the team. It is a hard balancing act, but if anyone can pull it off it would be Coach K. The question is, how involved does he want to be at this point in his life?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    I'm very interested in how the NCAA intends to ensure that NIL deals aren't linked to agreeing 5o attend a particular school. It seems like the NCAA just stepped aside and offered no guidance, opening the door with no thought of how to provide oversite and maintain any sense of integrity. It's going to be hard, if even possible, to regain any sense of control once the $ starts flowing.
    The NCAA basically committed seppuku best I can tell. They were fast becoming an irrelevant dinosaur in the universe of revenue sports. The NIL ruling put the writing on the wall, so the NCAA kinda put TNT in the dike and laid down waiting for the water to rise.

Couldn't happen to a shadier organization.

Anyway to determine his contract $$ for that ad? Better than Wendell and Bojangles $$?😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Anyway to determine his contract $$ for that ad? Better than Wendell and Bojangles $$?😀
    I am sure the deal was negotiated by CAA, the huge talent agency that caused a stir when they made Paolo their first NIL college basketball player back in August. I doubt any of us can comfortably say when he got paid for that commercial. It is fairly likely that it was part of a larger deal where Paolo will be performing other ad-related activities (posters and the such) as well as perhaps personal appearances for JD Sports. Depending on the scope of what they want to use him for, it is not at all unlikely that the deal could be in the mid-high 6-figures.

I also suspect that companies doing business with college players like Paolo are waiting to unveil their ads and other activities until closer to (or during) the NCAA tournament... and beyond that. Ads featuring Paolo could become especially useful in a few months when he is one of the major focuses of the NBA draft. I am also confident that the rate to sign him to a deal today is likely appreciably less than what it will be once he has been drafted and has some NBA "buzz" surrounding him.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am sure the deal was negotiated by CAA, the huge talent agency that caused a stir when they made Paolo their first NIL college basketball player back in August. I doubt any of us can comfortably say when he got paid for that commercial. It is fairly likely that it was part of a larger deal where Paolo will be performing other ad-related activities (posters and the such) as well as perhaps personal appearances for JD Sports. Depending on the scope of what they want to use him for, it is not at all unlikely that the deal could be in the mid-high 6-figures.

I also suspect that companies doing business with college players like Paolo are waiting to unveil their ads and other activities until closer to (or during) the NCAA tournament... and beyond that. Ads featuring Paolo could become especially useful in a few months when he is one of the major focuses of the NBA draft. I am also confident that the rate to sign him to a deal today is likely appreciably less than what it will be once he has been drafted and has some NBA "buzz" surrounding him.
    Wow, you’re thinking half a mill for Paolo vs. lifetime chicken discounts for Wendell? Guess Paolo can take the team to Disneyworld after the season.😀

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow, you’re thinking half a mill for Paolo vs. lifetime chicken discounts for Wendell? Guess Paolo can take the team to Disneyworld after the season.😀
    Well, I said "depending on the scope" of the arrangement. As I indicated, it may include other stuff in addition to this train ride. CAA is good at getting max exposure and dollars for their clients.

And I absolutely believe Paolo is looking at something close to 7-figures from his NIL activities at Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?