Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Ugh. Yuccos got pounded by Cards 9-nil. Hopefully a few guys will come up from the minors to help them avoid another 100 loss season. Next dilemma is whether to go out to Pittsburgh for the home opener vs. Cubbies next week. April in Pittsburgh - it could either snow or be 70 degrees. When I was a young Turk - it was a boss move to skip school to go to the opener. Easy enough - just take a different bus Downtown. "Ma, I go on the wrong bus by mistake... What are they gonna do, flunk me?" "I can start taking advantage of this 'work (?!?) anywhere' world... cover my calls with the India teams in the morning, and be tailgating by noon...."

Too early for the "Brian Reynolds" to the Phillies death watch...

70's Buccos could mash
    "Quality is not an option!"

Padres have going through their pitching rotation once ( less Blake Snell ) and have looked very good.
    Eric Hosmer , who appeared to be in every preseason trade rumor, was said to be unhappy about all the talk of a trade. Now a man on a mission, batting .513 . We know that won't last , but I do like him having a burr under his saddle.

Yes, it's way to early to puff out ones chest, but it's nice to get out of the gate with a decent start.

Nolan Arenado named National League Player of the Week

St. Louis Cardinals third baseman Nolan Arenado emerged from Opening Weekend as the Major League leader in extra-base hits with five and RBIs with seven. He went 6-for-12 (.500) with two homers, three doubles and a 1.788 OPS over St. Louis’ first three games to earn National League Player of the Week honors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Padres have going through their pitching rotation once ( less Blake Snell ) and have looked very good.
    Eric Hosmer , who appeared to be in every preseason trade rumor, was said to be unhappy about all the talk of a trade. Now a man on a mission, batting .513 . We know that won't last , but I do like him having a burr under his saddle.

Yes, it's way to early to puff out ones chest, but it's nice to get out of the gate with a decent start.
    While I wish the Padres had found a good trade for Hosmer, I am hopeful that he will do better under the new regime. I heard plenty of rumors last year about issues between Tingler and Hosmer, so hopefully the combination of Melvin taking over and Eric playing with a chip on his shoulder will lead to more consistent and positive contributions from Hosmer.

Albert Pujols homers for Cardinals for first time 3,855 days

680 HRs for his career now, 5th most in MLB history.

3,304 career hits now, 12th most in MLB history.

Cards beat the Royals 6-5 to go to 3-1 on the season.

Dave Roberts pulled Kershaw today after 7 innings, while Kershaw had a PERFECT game going! Unbelievable. Of course the reliever quickly blew what would have been a combined perfect, but whatever at that point. Clayton had only thrown 80 pitches, albeit on a cold day, but Jesus. Give the guy a chance at immortality. Lord knows he's earned it. Roberts did something similar a year or two ago, I think it was with Walker Buehler, pulling him deep into a no-hitter. This is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Dave Roberts pulled Kershaw today after 7 innings, while Kershaw had a PERFECT game going! Unbelievable. Of course the reliever quickly blew what would have been a combined perfect, but whatever at that point. Clayton had only thrown 80 pitches, albeit on a cold day, but Jesus. Give the guy a chance at immortality. Lord knows he's earned it. Roberts did something similar a year or two ago, I think it was with Walker Buehler, pulling him deep into a no-hitter. This is worse.
    100% agree. Give him his next two starts off if you have to - perfect games are worth chasing and whatever trade offs you need to make.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    100% agree. Give him his next two starts off if you have to - perfect games are worth chasing and whatever trade offs you need to make.
    Agreed. If he throws 100 pitches give him two weeks off. It is a chance at immortality.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    The other one was Rich Hill, which makes it even worse. Kershaw has a no-hitter and will be a first ballot hall of famer, and Buehler could be a hall of famer if he continues on his current trajectory. Plus, given Kershaw's injury issues over the past 5 years or so and the Dodgers having less starting pitching depth this year, I can at least understand the logic. That game was Rich Hill's chance at history, and he had only thrown 89 pitches. I saw that Kershaw and Hill are the only 2 pitchers in MLB history to be pulled after pitching at least 7 innings of perfect baseball.

I jinxed my Padres by ranting about getting off to a good start. Dropping the last 2 to SF
    It’s time to reverse this .. we’re awful , no better than we were the last 2 months of last season .

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I jinxed my Padres by ranting about getting off to a good start. Dropping the last 2 to SF
    It’s time to reverse this .. we’re awful , no better than we were the last 2 months of last season .
    Offense is pretty close to awful at this point and the starting pitching doesn’t exactly give me confidence in terms of real, long term performance. How is the bullpen already getting taxed?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    The other one was Rich Hill, which makes it even worse. Kershaw has a no-hitter and will be a first ballot hall of famer, and Buehler could be a hall of famer if he continues on his current trajectory. Plus, given Kershaw's injury issues over the past 5 years or so and the Dodgers having less starting pitching depth this year, I can at least understand the logic. That game was Rich Hill's chance at history, and he had only thrown 89 pitches. I saw that Kershaw and Hill are the only 2 pitchers in MLB history to be pulled after pitching at least 7 innings of perfect baseball.
    We were both right. He did it to Buehler but also to Ross Stripling, who was the one I was thinking of. But you're right that he also did it to Rich Hill. And there was actually a FOURTH time that Roberts has done this. Here's the rundown:

1. Stripling pulled in April 2016 after 7 1/3 no hit innings. This was his MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT. And he pulls him. Could you imagine pitching a no-hitter in your first big league game??? But Roberts pulled him after 100 pitches.

2. Later in 2016 was the Rich Hill game, where Roberts pulled him after 7 perfect innings, just 89 pitches.

3. Buehler in his third major league start, in 2018, pulled after 6 no hit innings and 93 pitches. Three Dodger relievers finished the no-hitter.

4. Kershaw yesterday, pulled after 7 innings throwing a perfect game.

I’m headed to Petco this evening and will see MacKenzie Gore in his big league debut. Hoping for a good outing.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m headed to Petco this evening and will see MacKenzie Gore in his big league debut. Hoping for a good outing.
    I’ll be watching. Really hoping the best for the Whiteville, young man .

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It looks like Gore had a decent outing, 5 innings while allowing 2 runs. The bullpen took the loss after the Padres tied the game 2-2 taking Gore off the hook with a loss. From most reports, Gore is going to be a stud starting pitcher.

Meanwhile, in Metsville, yesterday was an emotional occasion. In addition to it being Jackie Robinson day throughout MLB, it was the home opener at CitiField and the dedication of a statue to the best Met player of all time – Tom Seaver.

For those of my generation, Tom Terrific symbolized the Mets and graced us with his performance and attitude. A true representative of the team. RIP Tom.

The day ended successfully, as the Mets beat the Dbacks handily. I am pleasantly surprised with our performance so far this season, especially our starting pitching even with Jake on the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    It looks like Gore had a decent outing, 5 innings while allowing 2 runs. The bullpen took the loss after the Padres tied the game 2-2 taking Gore off the hook with a loss. From most reports, Gore is going to be a stud starting pitcher.
    He did have a good outing and it was really fun to be in the crowd. There was a lot of support for him and he stayed steady after his few mistakes.

I was worried when Albies smoked a first pitch fastball on his second at bat. It was literally the first pitch Gore had thrown to a batter that had seen him once already. But he settled down and closed out the inning without additional damage.

Unfortunately for my Friars, the bullpen gave up three runs in the eighth. But it was still a fun night.

This is not for the 2022 mlb season, but (presumably) for some future season. 20 year old NPB pitcher threw a perfect game last week with 19K's, then followed it up with 8 perfect innings and 14K's yesterday, before being removed at 102 pitches. Not too shabby.

https://twitter.com/BaseballBrit/sta...12753020735492
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

St. Louis Cardinals elder statesmen players

The Cardinals employ some older players but they’re producing currently.

The 6-3 and NL Central leading Redbirds got another solid start from 40 year old Adam Wainwright last night. He turns 41 in August. He threw 5.2 IP last night in Miami against the Marlins, allowing 5 hits, 1 ER, walking 2, and striking out 6. He’s now 2-0 with an ERA of 2.81. The future Cardinals hall of famer has won 186 career games now and has a shot at winning 200+ for his career. He and 39 year old catcher Yadier Molina made their 307th career start together as a battery last night. That’s good for 3rd most ever as a battery in MLB history.

Albert Pujols, 42, was 2-3 last night and is batting .389 this season with 2 HRs. He now has 3,308 hits for his career. That’s good for 12th most hits in MLB history. He can move into sole possession of 11th most hits in MLB history soon - that position is currently owned by Eddie Collins who registered 3,315 hits for his career.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Cardinals employ some older players but they’re producing currently.

The 6-3 and NL Central leading Redbirds got another solid start from 40 year old Adam Wainwright last night. He turns 41 in August. He threw 5.2 IP last night in Miami against the Marlins, allowing 5 hits, 1 ER, walking 2, and striking out 6. He’s now 2-0 with an ERA of 2.81. The future Cardinals hall of famer has won 186 career games now and has a shot at winning 200+ for his career. He and 39 year old catcher Yadier Molina made their 307th career start together as a battery last night. That’s good for 3rd most ever as a battery in MLB history.

Albert Pujols, 42, was 2-3 last night and is batting .389 this season with 2 HRs. He now has 3,308 hits for his career. That’s good for 12th most hits in MLB history. He can move into sole possession of 11th most hits in MLB history soon - that position is currently owned by Eddie Collins who registered 3,315 hits for his career.
    Molina caught 9 innings, Waino had a hustle play where he picked up a dribbler and out ran the hitter to the first base bag and Albert scored from first base on a Tommy Edman hit to right. Those elder statesmen went all out last night. One correction, Waino is now 2-1 as he had a loss to the Brewers on April 14. He went 4.1 innings, giving up 8 hits and 4 runs. In that game he said he didn't have command on any of his pitches. Still, he's off to a great start and is the Cardinals #1 starter.

GoRedbirds!