Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

I see that Jack Flaherty, the former #1 starter for the ST Louis Cardinals is still having shoulder problems and was being evaluated today by the medical team. Alex Reyes will not be ready for opening day as he's dealing with shoulder problems as well. He was trying to get a place in the starting rotation after pitching out of the bullpen last season. There are not many FA pitchers still left on the market.

GoRedbirds and GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I’m pretty underwhelmed by the totality of the Yankees moves so far.
    You and me both. Right now the Yankees have two catchers who can field but can't hit a lick, a bunch of sluggers several years past their peaks, holes in both the rotation and the bullpen and the perplexing belief that somehow Aaron Hicks is going to be both healthy and productive in center field.

And this is a team that has more financial resources than any team in baseball, perhaps in American professional sports. But Cashman wants to prove that he's the cleverest guy in the room and he'll die on that hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You and me both. Right now the Yankees have two catchers who can field but can't hit a lick, a bunch of sluggers several years past their peaks, holes in both the rotation and the bullpen and the perplexing belief that somehow Aaron Hicks is going to be both healthy and productive in center field.

And this is a team that has more financial resources than any team in baseball, perhaps in American professional sports. But Cashman wants to prove that he's the cleverest guy in the room and he'll die on that hill.
    I don’t think it is all Cashman. Hal is putting financial constraints on him (albeit at a higher level than 27 other teams).

Freddie Freeman to the Dodgers. 6 years $162 million. It is likely $27 million/year is more than enough to live comfortably in LA but the government and real estate market will get a good chunk of that $162 million over the course of 6 years.

Kris Bryant to the Rockies for 7 years $182 million. Interesting they wouldn’t lock up Arenado at 3B yet gave Bryant $182 million about a year later.

Do the Dodgers have a projected top 10 lineup on paper in MLB history ever?

Mookie Betts
    Trea Turner
    Justin Turner
    Freddie Freeman
    Max Muncy
    Will Smith
    Chris Taylor
    Cody Bellinger
    A.J. Pollock

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Huge loss. Injury "may " have happened in Dec when Tatis was in a minor motorcycle accident. Details were limited since it happened in a foreign country ( Dominican Republic , Tatis's home country , and due to the lockout when teams couldn't comment on players.
    3 months likely. Mid June maybe.

https://fox5sandiego.com/sports/repo...art-of-season/

Go Padres
    It used to be that they would build in to a player's contract that if he gets hurt doing X dangerous activity, he doesn't get paid. And some players have tried to weasel out of it by lying about how they got hurt. Aaron Boone had such a clause as a Yankee (I think it was pickup hoops in his case), and he got hurt doing it. He manned up and admitted the circumstances of the injury, and it cost him $.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    It used to be that they would build in to a player's contract that if he gets hurt doing X dangerous activity, he doesn't get paid. And some players have tried to weasel out of it by lying about how they got hurt. Aaron Boone had such a clause as a Yankee (I think it was pickup hoops in his case), and he got hurt doing it. He manned up and admitted the circumstances of the injury, and it cost him $.
    I remember when a Sonics player, Vladimir Radmanovic, (we called him Rad Man) claimed to have been injured playing pick up, but was found to have hurt himself snowboarding.

Whoopsies.

I have no inside information to confirm this, but I was increasingly getting the sense that Sanchez was a problem in the clubhouse plus his defense was lousy, so this was largely addition by subtraction. I am definitely not thrilled with the status of the catcher position, but I hope there is enough production elsewhere to make up for it. If the rotation stays healthy (huge if) it will be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Freddie Freeman to the Dodgers. 6 years $162 million. It is likely $27 million/year is more than enough to live comfortably in LA but the government and real estate market will get a good chunk of that $162 million over the course of 6 years.

Kris Bryant to the Rockies for 7 years $182 million. Interesting they wouldn’t lock up Arenado at 3B yet gave Bryant $182 million about a year later.

Do the Dodgers have a projected top 10 lineup on paper in MLB history ever?

Mookie Betts
    Trea Turner
    Justin Turner
    Freddie Freeman
    Max Muncy
    Will Smith
    Chris Taylor
    Cody Bellinger
    A.J. Pollock
    No doubt this is a potent lineup but the defending champs have a pretty potent lineup of their own...
    Ronald Acuna Jr
    Ozzie Albies
    Marcell Ozuna
    Matt Olson
    Adam Duvall
    Austin Riley
    Eddie Rosario
    Dansby Swanson
    Travis d'Arnauld

Acuna Jr is one of the best young talents in the game, Albies is one of the best hitting 2nd basemen in the game, Ozuna was said to be hammering it in the Dominican league, Olson is coming into his prime and had a better year than Freddie statistically last year, Duvall led the NL in RBI's last year, Riley is a potential MVP candidate if he continues to improve, and the last 3 are all solid hitters to be that low in the lineup.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

My Dodger hatred is ramping up right on time. It's the Yankees turn to do something to cheese me off.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I have no inside information to confirm this, but I was increasingly getting the sense that Sanchez was a problem in the clubhouse plus his defense was lousy, so this was largely addition by subtraction. I am definitely not thrilled with the status of the catcher position, but I hope there is enough production elsewhere to make up for it. If the rotation stays healthy (huge if) it will be solid.
    Getting rid of Sanchez and getting a real shortstop definitely has improved the defense up the middle. But they still need a center fielder; are they really counting on Hicks? Can Gallo play CF on a regular basis? And another starter. Expecting all of Severino, Taillon, Montgomery and German to stay healthy for an entire season is rolling the dice. You can't expect someone like Nestor Cortes to arrive out of nowhere and shore things up every year.

Robbie Ray would have looked nice in pinstripes.

And I continue to be gob-smacked that they don't load up the lineup with lefty bats every year. Rizzo and Gallo are not enough, IMO.

Getting rid of Sanchez and getting a real shortstop definitely has improved the defense up the middle. But they still need a center fielder; are they really counting on Hicks? Can Gallo play CF on a regular basis? And another starter. Expecting all of Severino, Taillon, Montgomery and German to stay healthy for an entire season is rolling the dice. You can't expect someone like Nestor Cortes to arrive out of nowhere and shore things up every year.

Robbie Ray would have looked nice in pinstripes.

And I continue to be gob-smacked that they don't load up the lineup with lefty bats every year. Rizzo and Gallo are not enough, IMO.
    Gallo is a DH masquerading as a LF. He should absolutely not play CF.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Judge will play some CF as long as he isn’t hurt or unavailable due to vax status.

The Cardinals open up their Spring Training schedule today at 1:05 pm ET at their Spring Training ballpark in Jupiter, Florida vs the Astros. 40 year old Adam Wainwright gets the start for the Cardinals opposite 39 year old Justin Verlander.

39 year old catcher Yadier Molina has missed the start of Spring Training for the Cardinals as he deals with “personal issues”. Apparently he is expected at camp soon.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Gallo’s won two straight Golden Glove awards. He’s probably stretched to play center on a regular basis, but he and Judge are two of the best corner outfielders in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Gallo’s won two straight Golden Glove awards. He’s probably stretched to play center on a regular basis, but he and Judge are two of the best corner outfielders in the game.
    Eh, I don't put much stock in gold gloves. Palmeiro won a gold glove in a year where he spent almost the entire year at DH. Jeter won a bunch of gold gloves despite being a below-average SS basically because he made that catch diving into the stands. Gold gloves aren't always bad measures of defense, but they aren't great measures.

Last year, Gallo was a negative defensively (per FanGraphs) and a 0 WAR defender (per Baseball Reference). And that was as a corner OF. He absolutely should not be in CF.

Eh, I don't put much stock in gold gloves. Palmeiro won a gold glove in a year where he spent almost the entire year at DH. Jeter won a bunch of gold gloves despite being a below-average SS basically because he made that catch diving into the stands. Gold gloves aren't always bad measures of defense, but they aren't great measures.

Last year, Gallo was a negative defensively (per FanGraphs) and a 0 WAR defender (per Baseball Reference). And that was as a corner OF. He absolutely should not be in CF.
    Gallo has been generally viewed as an excellent defender, but he has lost some footspeed and had a bad year in 2021. He still has a very strong arm. Center field would probably be a disaster, though.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

The selection for Gold Gloves has changed since those poor choices, but even then they were reasonably good at selecting top defenders.

And there’s plenty of other ratings that has Gallo at the top of RFers. total runs (also on B-R) and SABR Defensive index being the first two I found (and both being mainstream, not outliers. I’ll look for more, but I have to get in the car and drive to Greenville.

Whining about Gallo are we?

Trevor Story to the Red Sox. 6 years, $140 million.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Trevor Story to the Red Sox. 6 years, $140 million.
    Colorado Rockies: The Kansas City Athletics (50s version) of this millenium.