Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    It's going to be an exciting few days with free agency and maybe some trades.

We were planning some group outings to the Yankees in the spring but we were holding off on buying tickets. That will now shift into high gear.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I've been to relatively few: Houston's park (can't recall the name as it changes every so often), Fulton County Stadium, Wrigley, whatever they call the "new Comiskey" for the White Sox, and Fenway. I do want to go to Camden Yards and PNC, as well as the park in San Francisco. I've heard great things about those two. I'd also like to get to Seattle's park. The rest I could probably live without.

Wrigley and Fenway were dumps, as you would expect of parks that were, at the time, nearly 90 years old. The value of those parks was the implied history and uniqueness. But they were clearly extremely outdated facilities. I got to go to Fenway after their renovation, but haven't had a chance to see the renovated Wrigley. Fenway was improved, but still lower tier. Again, the history of the parks is what you have to take into account. There is only so much renovating that can be done with ballparks built to fit within a city block.

The amenities at Houston's park and "new Comiskey" were better, and I actually liked the view from behind home plate at Comiskey. But otherwise they were pretty blah to me. I hate the manufactured features that Houston implemented. They just created something weird to be weird, rather than out of any sort of natural
    need." Same with Milwaukee. Yes, San Fran and Pittsburgh could have built their parks not as close to the water, but for some reason I'm okay with that approach to "manufacturing" park features.
    Dodger Stadium is by far my favorite “old” park. I’m partial, but Petco is my favorite new one. If you come through San Diego when the Padres are in town I recommend checking it out.
    Carolina delenda est

I don’t like the DH and now its universal.

Should have gotten rid of it. Players like it though.

SoCal

So when will the free agent deals start getting signed up? My understanding is that my Padres are focusing on upgrades in the outfield, while also looking to move Eric Hosmer.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I don’t like the DH and now its universal.

Should have gotten rid of it. Players like it though.

SoCal
    They were never going to get rid of it. At least now the entire sport is playing under the same set of rules.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So when will the free agent deals start getting signed up? My understanding is that my Padres are focusing on upgrades in the outfield, while also looking to move Eric Hosmer.
    First moves: Clayton Kershaw returns to Dodgers on a one-year deal. Carlos Rodon to the Giants for two.

Well looks like Freeman is no longer a brave…..

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Well looks like Freeman is no longer a brave…..
    Yep, the Braves just dealt prospects 1, 2, and 14 on their farm for a career .252 hitting first baseman Matt Olson.

How do you not lock up Freeman for his entire career? The only player I can think of comparable to letting walk is Chipper. To me this is like letting Chipper walk. Freeman should have retired a Brave. Seems like the front office got their World Series championship out of him and finally told him to hit the road.

What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yep, the Braves just dealt prospects 1, 2, and 14 on their farm for a career .252 hitting first baseman Matt Olson.

How do you not lock up Freeman for his entire career? The only player I can think of comparable to letting walk is Chipper. To me this is like letting Chipper walk. Freeman should have retired a Brave. Seems like the front office got their World Series championship out of him and finally told him to hit the road.

What am I missing here?
    The Braves were reluctant to give him a 6 year contract knowing that he would only be good for 3-4 of them. Also, he is from California so maybe he decided he wanted to play/live out there

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    The Braves were reluctant to give him a 6 year contract knowing that he would only be good for 3-4 of them. Also, he is from California so maybe he decided he wanted to play/live out there
    Yeah, 6 years is a long time but he still is only 32. He won’t turn 33 until September. They’d only be committing to him until he’s 37-38. With the universal DH he could have done that some to keep some miles off his body. Don’t know much about Olson other than his stats which are very meh to me. Freeman is from California, I get that, but not sure if his tax rate and cost of living will be any better in LA than ATL if he goes to the Dodgers. $30 million per year in ATL is like $40 million in LA I’d wager. I just don’t see how you don’t lock up one of the top 15 Braves ever. He is a legend. He’s borderline top 10 ever for that franchise. There’s been so many legendary Braves players so maybe he’s top 15 but no worse than the 15th best Braves player ever. Just don’t see how you can’t commit to him until he’s 37-38. They have lots of money. Made over $500 million in revenue last year and have Albies and Acuña on the cheap. They’ll need to get paid soon but IMO you gotta pay a legend like Freddie.

Yeah, 6 years is a long time but he still is only 32. He won’t turn 33 until September. They’d only be committing to him until he’s 37-38. With the universal DH he could have done that some to keep some miles off his body. Don’t know much about Olson other than his stats which are very meh to me. Freeman is from California, I get that, but not sure if his tax rate and cost of living will be any better in LA than ATL if he goes to the Dodgers. $30 million per year in ATL is like $40 million in LA I’d wager. I just don’t see how you don’t lock up one of the top 15 Braves ever. He is a legend. He’s borderline top 10 ever for that franchise. There’s been so many legendary Braves players so maybe he’s top 15 but no worse than the 15th best Braves player ever. Just don’t see how you can’t commit to him until he’s 37-38. They have lots of money. Made over $500 million in revenue last year and have Albies and Acuña on the cheap. They’ll need to get paid soon but IMO you gotta pay a legend like Freddie.
    To be fair Olson had a better year than Freddie last year. But as a lifelong Braves fan I def understand what you’re saying.

. Just don’t see how you can’t commit to him until he’s 37-38. They have lots of money. Made over $500 million in revenue last year and have Albies and Acuña on the cheap. They’ll need to get paid soon but IMO you gotta pay a legend like Freddie.
    Acuna and Albies are both signed to long term, team friendly contracts.

It could be that FF just wanted to play closer to home. If so that’s his right, he gave the Braves 11 great seasons and a WS. Vaya con dios. If we let him go for $$ concerns, though, shame on us.

Tatis, Jr is out for 3 months with a broken wrist. The injury came in the offseason. This is a big loss for the Padres.

GoRedbirds and GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Tatis, Jr is out for 3 months with a broken wrist. The injury came in the offseason. This is a big loss for the Padres.

GoRedbirds and GoDuke!
    Huge loss. Injury "may " have happened in Dec when Tatis was in a minor motorcycle accident. Details were limited since it happened in a foreign country ( Dominican Republic , Tatis's home country , and due to the lockout when teams couldn't comment on players.
    3 months likely. Mid June maybe.

https://fox5sandiego.com/sports/repo...art-of-season/

Go Padres

Some players should play their entire career with the same franchise. Derek Jeter. Joe Mauer. Buster Posey. They just seem to epitomize their team in some undefinable but recognizable way.

Freeman seemed like one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Huge loss. Injury "may " have happened in Dec when Tatis was in a minor motorcycle accident. Details were limited since it happened in a foreign country ( Dominican Republic , Tatis's home country , and due to the lockout when teams couldn't comment on players.
    3 months likely. Mid June maybe.

https://fox5sandiego.com/sports/repo...art-of-season/

Go Padres
    On PTI they said Tatis was asked if he was injured in the motorcycle accident and he responded, "Which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    On PTI they said Tatis was asked if he was injured in the motorcycle accident and he responded, "Which one?"
    Tatis appears to have told the team/local media he will stay away from motorcycles.

It looks like this is an injury that could (only?) have been identified if there were follow up testing after he crashed in December (or whenever). And that if the injury were identified, it would be clear that surgery would be required to fix it, either then (better) or when it became apparent (worse, but hopefully just a delay).

Kevin Acee, Padres beat reporter for the UT: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...orcyle-lockout

To state the obvious: how the team and Tatis handle this and the future will be critical to the hopes and aspirations of the Padres. I also can’t wait to see him back on the field. He is easily my young son’s favorite player and mine. Hoping to get back to bat flips and away from motorcycle falls.
    Carolina delenda est

Polar Bear Pete Alonso

He stated he is lucky to be alive today. He was apparently making the drive from his house in Tampa to the Mets’ spring training ballpark in Port Saint Lucie, Florida in his Ford truck. Just 5 minutes after leaving his house, someone ran a red light at a high rate of speed and T Boned his truck causing him to flip three times. All of this was witnessed by his wife who was traveling behind him in another vehicle with their dogs. Somehow he was able to kick the windshield out and escape. Scary stuff but thankful he’s still here.

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2022/03/...h-of-car-crash

I’m pretty underwhelmed by the totality of the Yankees moves so far.

It is absolutely amazing Alonso walked away from that crash. Maybe clubs should add driving in Florida to the list of things players can’t do because they are too dangerous.