Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Even the schedule makers love the blankety-blank Yankees. They get the NL Central in interleague, and there are only four Subway Series games this year (all of which are after the All-Star break, so they will likely have to face Jake and Mex twice each).

Meanwhile, I would argue that today’s Mets - Dodgers game was the best game of the season to date. It had everything, including a rookie reliever staring down Betts/Freeman/Turner in the 10th for his first career save. Free runner stranded at third. Take a bow, Adonis Medina.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Don't stop by this thread often because most of the time it's been all STL, which I don't care about/for. But now we're talking Yankees - I'm all in! My bonafides are a NYC childhood, 3rd gen Yankee fan. My Grandfather told stories of seeing Joe DiMaggio play in the late 30s, took my dad to a Yankees/Giants pennant game in the 50s.

Sorry you don't like my St. Louis Cardinals, but they are second to the Yankees in World Series titles. Yeh, way behind. I love baseball and love to discuss it. I didn't see DiMaggio play but did see Mantle, Maris, Ford, Martin, Berra, Rizzuto and several more great Yankees.

My "concern" with the NY Yankees, is not their fans.. it's the media. There's a Northeast Corridor media love affair. The problem is the media believes the whole USA is in love with them. I can't tell you how many times they've been on TV, but I'd bet it's more than twice a week , while most teams are on 2-3 times a month if they are a contender.

I'm old and loved the Yankees growing up. From 1957- 1968 , I could tell you the starting line up and pitchers. CBS owned the Yankees then and they were on EVERY WEEK.. Dizzy and Pee Wee Reese. Clete Boyer was my favorite player.. ( of coarse Mickey was everyone's fav )

Angels fired Joe Maddon! Seems crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Angels fired Joe Maddon! Seems crazy to me.
    They have had a bad stretch but it seems pretty short-sighted. And it looks like his interim replacement is Phil Nevin, who was run out of NY after making countless bad decisions as third base coach for the Yanks last year. They are really wasting away the primes of two of the best players in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    They have had a bad stretch but it seems pretty short-sighted. And it looks like his interim replacement is Phil Nevin, who was run out of NY after making countless bad decisions as third base coach for the Yanks last year. They are really wasting away the primes of two of the best players in baseball.
    But at least they have the God of Thunder to save their season.

Padre update.. Fernando Tatis Jr. Padres had a new conference yesterday, saying that the latest imaging was good on Tatis Jr's wrist. But he will not be returning soon. Won't be swinging a bat. The wrist is healing fine, but it's not ready for any "baseball"
    Early hopes of a return in late June won't be happening, and maybe into August.

Personally, I think if he comes back this season, it'll be in a DH role. Diving for ground balls at short stop could reinjure the wrist. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Padre update.. Fernando Tatis Jr. Padres had a new conference yesterday, saying that the latest imaging was good on Tatis Jr's wrist. But he will not be returning soon. Won't be swinging a bat. The wrist is healing fine, but it's not ready for any "baseball"
    Early hopes of a return in late June won't be happening, and maybe into August.

Personally, I think if he comes back this season, it'll be in a DH role. Diving for ground balls at short stop could reinjure the wrist. Time will tell.
    How about CF?

[I keep, I keed.]

I would hope the Padres learned their lesson last year and that Tati is brought along very slowly. DH makes sense, but Voit is finally contributing a bit and it would be nice to increase the production at the plate from the middle infield.

The big question is can the Padres make a move to improve the production from the outfield without overpaying or mortgaging the future.
    Carolina delenda est

My Cardinals finally beat the Phillies today. The have had the Redbirds figured out so far this year. The Cardinals sit at a measly 46-42 but just 2.5 GB of the Brewers for the NL Central lead.

I have been keeping an eye on the Braves. They were 10.5 GB of the Mets on June 1st and now sit just 1.5 GB at 52-35. The NL East looks like it will be an exciting pennant race this season. I believe the Braves have the best record in baseball since Memorial Day (29-8).

The Bronx bombers continue their torrid pace at 61-24.

Big series in Atlanta this week for the Braves as they host three vs the Mets. A sweep for the Braves and they’d have a 1.5 game lead over the Mets for the NL East. Taking 2 of 3 and they’d be a half game back of the Mets. Tonight features Max Scherzer vs Max Fried. Should be a pitcher’s duel. Buck Showalter has done well for the Mets thus far this season. There was no way they’d be able to sustain the pace they started the season with and they’ve lost DeGrom (again) and are just getting Scherzer back after being on the shelf for a while. The Braves are darn impressive again and are missing Soroka, Albies, and I believe a few others. The Braves have a good shot at making the World Series again this year it appears right now. They are blistering hot entering the final week before the all star break.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Big series in Atlanta this week for the Braves as they host three vs the Mets. A sweep for the Braves and they’d have a 1.5 game lead over the Mets for the NL East. Taking 2 of 3 and they’d be a half game back of the Mets. Tonight features Max Scherzer vs Max Fried. Should be a pitcher’s duel. Buck Showalter has done well for the Mets thus far this season. There was no way they’d be able to sustain the pace they started the season with and they’ve lost DeGrom (again) and are just getting Scherzer back after being on the shelf for a while. The Braves are darn impressive again and are missing Soroka, Albies, and I believe a few others. The Braves have a good shot at making the World Series again this year it appears right now. They are blistering hot entering the final week before the all star break.
    As a Braves fan the last month and a half has been really fun. They were sitting at 23-27 after a May 31 loss to the Diamondbacks and 10.5 games out of first place. Since then they are 29-8 which if I'm not mistaken is the best record in baseball. I'm hoping we can at least win this series. Should be a fun second half race!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Juan Soto says NO to Nats

They offered him 15 years, $440 million and he turned it down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tract-rejected

The Washington Nationals are willing to listen to trade offers for Juan Soto after the star outfielder rejected their most recent long-term offer, league sources confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

Sources said Soto turned down a 15-year, $440 million offer that would have been the largest contract in baseball history. He is eligible to become a free agent after the 2024 season.

But according to The Athletic, which first reported on the most recent rejected contract offer and the Nationals being open to listening to potential trades, some team officials no longer believe they will be able to reach any long-term deal with Soto.

The Nats have gone from the penthouse (2019 World Series champions) to the outhouse (currently 30-62, the worst record in the MLB) quickly. Strasburg has been hurt, they lost Scherzer, Turner, Rendon, Corbin, etc, Zimmerman retired … the franchise is a shell of itself compared to what it was just 3 years ago.

They offered him 15 years, $440 million and he turned it down.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...tract-rejected

The Washington Nationals are willing to listen to trade offers for Juan Soto after the star outfielder rejected their most recent long-term offer, league sources confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

Sources said Soto turned down a 15-year, $440 million offer that would have been the largest contract in baseball history.
    Lot of cabbage to turn down for a guy hitting .247.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Lot of cabbage to turn down for a guy hitting .247.
    Low batting average this year, but career he’s hitting .293 with a ridiculous .427 on base percentage and .968 OPS. And he’s only 23. I imagine he’s going to get north of $500m on the free agent market. Nats fans got our World Series but it is painful to see all our homegrown stars like Harper, Rendon, Turner, and likely Soto leave. (Note: I know Turner was via trade but it’s because the Nats felt they couldn’t sign him in free agency, and yes the Nats did sign Stras but that has been an epic bust).

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Low batting average this year, but career he’s hitting .293 with a ridiculous .427 on base percentage and .968 OPS. And he’s only 23. I imagine he’s going to get north of $500m on the free agent market. Nats fans got our World Series but it is painful to see all our homegrown stars like Harper, Rendon, Turner, and likely Soto leave. (Note: I know Turner was via trade but it’s because the Nats felt they couldn’t sign him in free agency, and yes the Nats did sign Stras but that has been an epic bust).
    Yes, and your Nats didn't resign Mad Max who has been one of the best starting pitchers in MLB. And it's a shame his hometown team hasn't been able or willing to sign him as a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I read Soto’s contract offer was heavily backloaded which he didn’t care for a lot, and the Lerner family is actively trying to sell the franchise for $2-$3 billion. So owner instability is hurting the Nats organization when trying to sign Soto since they’ll nearly undoubtedly be sold soon.

I read Soto’s contract offer was heavily backloaded which he didn’t care for a lot, and the Lerner family is actively trying to sell the franchise for $2-$3 billion. So owner instability is hurting the Nats organization when trying to sign Soto since they’ll nearly undoubtedly be sold soon.
    100% true. In a way, none of this matters until they have new owners. I can't imagine the Lerners trading Soto and handing new owners a total rebuild; I would think any new owner would want to make the Soto decision on their own as it will be the biggest piece of the franchise's future. So this is mostly theater, and I don't think it actually benefits anyone at this point.

I might start watching baseball more if there were were more performances like the Bluejays’ win over Boston. Yowza. Football numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I might start watching baseball more if there were were more performances like the Bluejays’ win over Boston. Yowza. Football numbers.
    4 TDs for the Blue Jays and all 4 extra points were good. A field goal and safety for the Red Sox.

Final score from Fenway - 28-5, Blue Jays

The Red Sox looked hideous last night. That’s the type of game they may not come back from. They were awful last night.

Second half of the season. Padres off to a GREAT start lol.. Winning in NY , beating the Mets 4-1 , with Darvish out dueling Scherzer for the win.

Padres need to make a trade , or trades, before the trade deadline. They need offense. I stream the San Diego sports radio station, and to hear them, they are in the hunt for Soto. No where else do I hear the Padres mentioned as being in the hunt. But then again the northeast media has tunnel vision and believe he'll be a Yankee, Met, or Red Sox.. I ok giving up good prospects for the current season and maybe getting 2 years of Soto.. He's got basically 2 season left under the current contract. Trade him again if you know you can't resign him, in a year of two. If not Soto,, they still need some offense.