Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I’d say since Aaron. Pujols’ career > either Griffey or Thomas.
    I think maybe Junior's defensive prowess combined with offensive skill puts him in the conversation as having as good a career as Pujols. But the point is correct. Bill Simmons always said there should be tiers for the Hall of fame. Pujols is in the top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    I think the Mets record since that point equates to a 96 win season while the Braves pace was 114 wins. So, it was the Braves taking it more than the Mets choking it away.
    I agree with your logic here but the bottom line is all they had to do was win 1 game out of 3 in a head to head matchup while having both their aces lined up and the third guy Bassett had arguably been their best pitcher over the last couple of months. To me that is blowing a golden opportunity. I was listening to the Braves broadcast and when the game ended Joe Simpson said "look at that Mets dugout, they are in complete disbelief at what just happened to them". Of course, as a Braves fan I was smiling ear to ear.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I agree with your logic here but the bottom line is all they had to do was win 1 game out of 3 in a head to head matchup while having both their aces lined up and the third guy Bassett had arguably been their best pitcher over the last couple of months. To me that is blowing a golden opportunity. I was listening to the Braves broadcast and when the game ended Joe Simpson said "look at that Mets dugout, they are in complete disbelief at what just happened to them". Of course, as a Braves fan I was smiling ear to ear.
    But that's not you blowing it. That you coming in there and getting your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. kicked.

This isn’t even in the first tier of Mets choke jobs.

I’d recommend a great book by a Duke Alum on the subject:

https://www.amazon.com/So-Many-Ways-.../dp/0062940023

This isn’t even in the first tier of Mets choke jobs.

I’d recommend a great book by a Duke Alum on the subject:

https://www.amazon.com/So-Many-Ways-.../dp/0062940023
    This wasn't a choke at all. Braves just took it from them. Also I am anti-choke. It is an over-utilized trope in sports. And I say that as someone who had 3 free throws down 2 in a playoff game and missed the first 2 costing us the game. I was a 85% FT shooter. THAT is choking. I absolutely choked. But the Mets didn't choke this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    This wasn't a choke at all. Braves just took it from them. Also I am anti-choke. It is an over-utilized trope in sports. And I say that as someone who had 3 free throws down 2 in a playoff game and missed the first 2 costing us the game. I was a 85% FT shooter. THAT is choking. I absolutely choked. But the Mets didn't choke this year.
    If you will notice I stopped short of saying they choked but I stand by saying they "blew" a golden opportunity to close it out.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    If you will notice I stopped short of saying they choked but I stand by saying they "blew" a golden opportunity to close it out.
    Which is inarguable. They came into this series needing to win one game and running their horses out against the Braves. The Braves are tough dudes though and have been there before. And I do think that matters. The first team I followed was the 86 Mets and pretty much assumed I would be the next Darryl Strawberry (I was a power hitting 5'8" first baseman at 12 who became a Punch and Judy hitting 5'8" pitcher in high school). They went a smidge crazy during the cocaine era and so I left the team and latched on to the Braves. Also kids are inveterate frontrunners. And clearly I was no different.

The Mets had a 79% chance to win the NL East before this past weekend’s series at the Braves. But after getting swept, the Braves now have a 98% chance of winning the NL East (both probabilities per FanGraphs).

To recap: the Braves sweep the Mets, own the NL East tiebreaker, have a two-game lead with three to play and have likely sent the Mets to a three-game wild card series vs. a great Padres staff and, if they win that, an NLDS vs. the 110+ win Dodgers with deGrom and Scherzer going just once.

What’s Ric Flair say? In order to be the man, you’ve got to beat the man.

I watched all three games and thought the Mets played pretty good baseball. The Braves just played better.

One important play in the third game was when Riley let a ball down the third base line roll and go foul. that was one of the smarter quick decision plays I've seen this year. If he had made a play on the ball the Mets would probably score at least a 4th run in the game.

Here's a link.
    Last edited by camion; 10-03-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Mets had a 79% chance to win the NL East before this past weekend’s series at the Braves. But after getting swept, the Braves now have a 98% chance of winning the NL East (both probabilities per FanGraphs).

To recap: the Braves sweep the Mets, own the NL East tiebreaker, have a two-game lead with three to play and have likely sent the Mets to a three-game wild card series vs. a great Padres staff and, if they win that, an NLDS vs. the 110+ win Dodgers with deGrom and Scherzer going just once.

What’s Ric Flair say? In order to be the man, you’ve got to beat the man.
    Whooooo!!!!! Forgot that part.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

One important play in the third game was when Riley let a ball down the third base line roll and go foul. that was one of the smarter quick decision plays I've seen this year. If he had made a play on the ball the Mets would probably score at least a 4th run in the game.
    It was a heady play but durn near gave me a heart attack in real time. SO close to being a fair ball.

Albert Pujols just hit career HR # 703 in Pittsburgh. He passed Babe Ruth for 2nd most RBI in MLB history with 2,216 now. It was his 57th HR against the Pirates which ties him with Ernie Banks for 8th most in MLB history. Some other facts about the HR:

With his 370th career home run on the road, Pujols ties Hank Aaron for the second-most all-time. Barry Bonds has the record.

Most HR in the MLB since August 14:

Albert Pujols: 16
    Aaron Judge: 15
    Mike Trout: 15
    Anthony Santander: 13

With 24 HRs now, at age 42, it’s the most single season HRs for Pujols since 2016.

Most HR in season at age 42 or older:

2007 Barry Bonds: 28
    2022 Albert Pujols: 24

He now has the highest OPS in Pittsburgh in MLB history, and 2nd is Jim Edmonds. Third is Scott Rolen.

The OPS of Pujols in the 2nd half of this the 2022 season at age 42 is the third highest 2nd half OPS for him in his career.

He is simply the best hitter for the Cardinals right now and absurdly fun to watch hit the baseball right now. Here’s hoping it continues into the postseason!

Honest question for those who have been watching Pujols on this run - is he being pitched normally? Or is he sometimes being gifted some strikes? I’ve heard complaints of the latter, but haven’t watched and don’t know.

Honest question for those who have been watching Pujols on this run - is he being pitched normally? Or is he sometimes being gifted some strikes? I’ve heard complaints of the latter, but haven’t watched and don’t know.
    I don't think he's being gifted some strikes but I'm a Cardinal fan. So, who knows? I think it's the hard work he's put in, the manager believing in him, his teammates believing in him and most of all, I think The Lord is blessing him. One thing is apparent, he's not taking a first pitch strike in the middle of the plate. Of all the Cardinal hitters, he's recognizing the pitch better than anyone on the team. The young Cardinal manager deserves credit also. He was smart enough to play him against right handing pitching. Many so-called baseball experts said he could no longer hit righties. He may not have the lofty numbers he has against the lefties, but he does still have good at bats against the right handers.

Not a Cardinals fan but I don't even understand how this would work. So pitchers whose livelihood depends on getting people out have just unilaterally decided to groove batting practice fastballs? None of this sounds reasonable to me.

Not a Cardinals fan but I don't even understand how this would work. So pitchers whose livelihood depends on getting people out have just unilaterally decided to groove batting practice fastballs? None of this sounds reasonable to me.
    I think the idea there was that umpiring crews are being somewhat deferential with the strike zone when Pujols is hitting. If that is true (and I don't know, I haven't watched enough of his games), it certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a wily veteran batter.

I have definitely felt that Judge’s strike zone with two strikes has gotten smaller in the last few weeks as I watch the Yankees all the time.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a similar phenomena happened to Pujols as he got closer to 700.

I have definitely felt that Judge’s strike zone with two strikes has gotten smaller in the last few weeks as I watch the Yankees all the time.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a similar phenomena happened to Pujols as he got closer to 700.
    For much of the season Judge was having a lot of low strikes that were well below his knees get called, and Boone has been on the umps constantly about this - it seems to be getting a bit better. As much as part of me wants him to get 62, much of me is ready for this to be over. I think the poor guy could really use a day off - Boone has been trying to get lots of guys rest (as well as get less-used players at bats) to prepare for the playoffs but Judge is the exception.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Sometimes, a pitcher who isn’t worried about job security will groove a pitch (similar to batting practice pitches) to an aging better to give him a better chance at a homer. Probably the most notorious example is Denny McClain in 1968 (during his 31 win season) pitching to Mickey Mantle in his last month of his career. Typically, the game’s outcome isn’t on the line with the homer.

Skeptical about all of this. These sound like anecdotes. Challenging a hitter to hit your best fastball is one thing. But that's not what we are talking about here. I do think great hitters get the benefit of the doubt from umpires though. But again, that is not what is being discussed here. I can't fathom a competitor gifting a HR pitch to anyone.