Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

2022 MLB Season

Well, spring training was supposed to start today but the MLBPA and owners are still locked out. So alas, here we are. I am hoping some resolution can be agreed upon - the sooner the better! I want the season to start on time and there to be 162 games. The Braves are coming off a magnificent run to the 2021 World Series title. There will be a universal DH this season I read recently. It’s going to be a historic year for the MLB in more ways than one. Hopefully pretty soon, an umpire will be yelling “Play Ball!” at stadiums near us all!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Well, spring training was supposed to start today but the MLBPA and owners are still locked out. So alas, here we are. I am hoping some resolution can be agreed upon - the sooner the better! I want the season to start on time and there to be 162 games. The Braves are coming off a magnificent run to the 2021 World Series title. There will be a universal DH this season I read recently. It’s going to be a historic year for the MLB in more ways than one. Hopefully pretty soon, an umpire will be yelling “Play Ball!” at stadiums near us all!
    I hope they get the full season in. Retiring in 44 days, and my dream second road trip is to almost finish off the missing MLB stadiums on my list. Toronto-Detroit-Cincinnati. Plus Texas, which'll be a separate trip to finish the list accompanied by my nephew and great-nephew.

(My dream first retirement road trip is to New Orleans the first weekend of April. Hope to have a reason to make that trip!)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I hope they get the full season in. Retiring in 44 days, and my dream second road trip is to almost finish off the missing MLB stadiums on my list. Toronto-Detroit-Cincinnati. Plus Texas, which'll be a separate trip to finish the list accompanied by my nephew and great-nephew.

(My dream first retirement road trip is to New Orleans the first weekend of April. Hope to have a reason to make that trip!)
    Wow! Congratulations on the retirement. That’s good stuff. I hope you get to visit them all. My list is shorter than yours, but I’ve been to my fair share. What’s your favorite? Mine are Busch Stadium (I’m a huge Cardinals guy), Wrigley (ironic - but it’s WRIGLEY!), Camden Yards, and Target Field.

I hope your trip to New Orleans occurs too!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Wow! Congratulations on the retirement. That’s good stuff. I hope you get to visit them all. My list is shorter than yours, but I’ve been to my fair share. What’s your favorite? Mine are Busch Stadium (I’m a huge Cardinals guy), Wrigley (ironic - but it’s WRIGLEY!), Camden Yards, and Target Field.

I hope your trip to New Orleans occurs too!
    I thought the ‘60s Busch was the best of the multi-use donut stadiums, although I was there after the football Cardinals left and they could configure just for baseball.

The new Busch ranks high on my list, up there with Camden Yards for the best of the retros. The Mets fan puts Citifield in that tier as well. Petco was good, too.

Of the old ones, nothing to me could match old Yankee Stadium (the new one is too corporate.). The first time I went to Wrigley in the early ‘90s, I thought it was a dump. When I went back a few years ago, the renovations really cleaned it up, and it moved up on my list. (I last went to Fenway in 1980, so I can’t place it on a list right now. Back then, it was just an old park, not an iconic one.)

The new Braves park is blah (the big deal there is the “neighborhood” they built around it, and I’m not the target demographic for it.). Miami would have been better had there been more than 5000 or so in the park. The first of the “new” parks starting in the ‘90s, the White Sox park, is also probably the worse. Looked like a strip shopping plaza. (Went the first year it was open, haven’t been back.)

And, best food was the Brewer’s brat with their special stadium sauce. In County Stadium.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    As a Nationals fan, I post here to salute Ryan Zimmerman, who officially announced his retirement after 16 years with the club. A class act in every facet of the game. Interesting trivia - Ryan's 11 walk-off home runs has him in a tie for 8th place in MLB history. Jim Thome is alone in first with 13. Six are tied with 12 - Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial, Albert Pujols, Frank Robinson, Babe Ruth (that's a pretty impressive list of hitters). And three are tied with 11 - David Ortiz, Tony Perez, Ryan Zimmerman. Not bad, Mr. National!
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

…The new Braves park is an insulting abomination unworthy of the real city’s name, [and]the “neighborhood” they built around it is a monument to racism and corporate greed.
    There, fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    As a Nationals fan, I post here to salute Ryan Zimmerman, who officially announced his retirement after 16 years with the club. A class act in every facet of the game. Interesting trivia - Ryan's 11 walk-off home runs has him in a tie for 8th place in MLB history. Jim Thome is alone in first with 13. Six are tied with 12 - Jimmie Foxx, Mickey Mantle, Stan Musial, Albert Pujols, Frank Robinson, Babe Ruth (that's a pretty impressive list of hitters). And three are tied with 11 - David Ortiz, Tony Perez, Ryan Zimmerman. Not bad, Mr. National!
    Mr. National is a good man. He does lots for multiple sclerosis patients through his foundation. His mom has MS so it’s a cause close to his heart. He also gives back lots to UVa where he played collegiate baseball. He’s donated at least $1.25 million to UVa for upgrades to their locker rooms, batting facilities, and scoreboard. Their yard rivals many minor league professional stadiums now. He was a class act for the Nats his entire career. I could see him in baseball commentating or analysis on tv one day. He knows the game, has the demeanor, is intelligent and articulate, and is still young and may want a second career (he’s only 37).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    There, fixed it for you.
    It is eroding my allegiance to the team. That and their guest list for the playoffs.

Great city with an amazing food culture. Some of the best stuff is at the food halls sprinkled around town. There are some iconic places to hit, but mix in Pythian Market and St Roch for off the beaten path lunches. Think food trucks with a community indoor dining space and booze.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Great city with an amazing food culture. Some of the best stuff is at the food halls sprinkled around town. There are some iconic places to hit, but mix in Pythian Market and St Roch for off the beaten path lunches. Think food trucks with a community indoor dining space and booze.
    I hope to eat the food in the Superdome.

I thought the ‘60s Busch was the best of the multi-use donut stadiums, although I was there after the football Cardinals left and they could configure just for baseball.

The new Busch ranks high on my list, up there with Camden Yards for the best of the retros. The Mets fan puts Citifield in that tier as well. Petco was good, too.

Of the old ones, nothing to me could match old Yankee Stadium (the new one is too corporate.). The first time I went to Wrigley in the early ‘90s, I thought it was a dump. When I went back a few years ago, the renovations really cleaned it up, and it moved up on my list. (I last went to Fenway in 1980, so I can’t place it on a list right now. Back then, it was just an old park, not an iconic one.)

The new Braves park is blah (the big deal there is the “neighborhood” they built around it, and I’m not the target demographic for it.). Miami would have been better had there been more than 5000 or so in the park. The first of the “new” parks starting in the ‘90s, the White Sox park, is also probably the worse. Looked like a strip shopping plaza. (Went the first year it was open, haven’t been back.)

And, best food was the Brewer’s brat with their special stadium sauce. In County Stadium.
    I have been to most of the ballparks east of the Mississippi (and quite a few that no longer exist). Hands down, my fave is PNC in Pittsburgh. It's breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I have been to most of the ballparks east of the Mississippi (and quite a few that no longer exist). Hands down, my fave is PNC in Pittsburgh. It's breathtaking.
    I didn’t mean to skip it; I did catch it on a rainy night, so it didn’t impress as much as a second visit might.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Have to agree. I’ve been to about 10 - 15 different parks and PNC is my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Have to agree. I’ve been to about 10 - 15 different parks and PNC is my favorite so far.
    I've been to relatively few: Houston's park (can't recall the name as it changes every so often), Fulton County Stadium, Wrigley, whatever they call the "new Comiskey" for the White Sox, and Fenway. I do want to go to Camden Yards and PNC, as well as the park in San Francisco. I've heard great things about those two. I'd also like to get to Seattle's park. The rest I could probably live without.

Wrigley and Fenway were dumps, as you would expect of parks that were, at the time, nearly 90 years old. The value of those parks was the implied history and uniqueness. But they were clearly extremely outdated facilities. I got to go to Fenway after their renovation, but haven't had a chance to see the renovated Wrigley. Fenway was improved, but still lower tier. Again, the history of the parks is what you have to take into account. There is only so much renovating that can be done with ballparks built to fit within a city block.

The amenities at Houston's park and "new Comiskey" were better, and I actually liked the view from behind home plate at Comiskey. But otherwise they were pretty blah to me. I hate the manufactured features that Houston implemented. They just created something weird to be weird, rather than out of any sort of natural
    need." Same with Milwaukee. Yes, San Fran and Pittsburgh could have built their parks not as close to the water, but for some reason I'm okay with that approach to "manufacturing" park features.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I've been to relatively few: Houston's park (can't recall the name as it changes every so often), Fulton County Stadium, Wrigley, whatever they call the "new Comiskey" for the White Sox, and Fenway. I do want to go to Camden Yards and PNC, as well as the park in San Francisco. I've heard great things about those two. I'd also like to get to Seattle's park. The rest I could probably live without.

Wrigley and Fenway were dumps, as you would expect of parks that were, at the time, nearly 90 years old. The value of those parks was the implied history and uniqueness. But they were clearly extremely outdated facilities. I got to go to Fenway after their renovation, but haven't had a chance to see the renovated Wrigley. Fenway was improved, but still lower tier. Again, the history of the parks is what you have to take into account. There is only so much renovating that can be done with ballparks built to fit within a city block.

The amenities at Houston's park and "new Comiskey" were better, and I actually liked the view from behind home plate at Comiskey. But otherwise they were pretty blah to me. I hate the manufactured features that Houston implemented. They just created something weird to be weird, rather than out of any sort of natural
    need." Same with Milwaukee. Yes, San Fran and Pittsburgh could have built their parks not as close to the water, but for some reason I'm okay with that approach to "manufacturing" park features.
    I've been to the new Busch Stadium, Tampa Stadium and Camden Yards. Busch and Camden Yards are both beautiful stadiums. Both are easy to walk to from hotels and the areas have some really nice attractions nearby. The Tampa Stadium is one of the worst I've been to and that's including the old ball parks.

Looks like the lockout's getting real now, with mlb's "final" offer before starting to scrap games rejected by the players. There was optimism last night, which may have been hype from the owners' side in expectation of not reaching a deal and trying to cast blame on the players. However blame is placed, hunker down.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

The players really screwed up their messaging. They should have been hammering the message of: we’ll keep working under the existing CBA while we negotiate. If we don’t play, it’s because the owners locked us out.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    The players really screwed up their messaging. They should have been hammering the message of: we’ll keep working under the existing CBA while we negotiate. If we don’t play, it’s because the owners locked us out.
    But if they want change doesn’t that incentivize the owners to drag the process out indefinitely?

I’m generally on the players side, but I think their rejection of mediation isn’t a good look for them either (admittedly I’m not deep enough on the issue to know why they made that decision).

The owners wanted things too so it wouldn’t have gone on indefinitely. And I thought I heard the players were willing to do it and the owners said no and locked them out (for additional leverage).

Bingo,
    Bango,
    Bongo.

@JonHeyman - Union votes yes on deal
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...15710674960385
    Demented and sad, but social, right?