Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Cards sweep the Yankees. Wainwright struggled but the bats were awesome. Go Cards!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Cards sweep the Yankees. Wainwright struggled but the bats were awesome. Go Cards!
    Mrs. Rasputin and I were at the game today. It was quite a ballgame. Wainwright struggled, for two reasons. First, it was very, very hot and muggy, and he's not as young as he used to be. Secondly, the home plate umpire was using his grandmother's thimble for the strike zone. The game took 4 and a half hours to play.

One of the worst umpired games (in both directions) I’ve seen in a long time that didn’t include Angel Hernandez.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    The Redbirds are rolling. 7 in a row including the sweep of the Yankees. An off day today before a 3 game series in Colorado which starts tomorrow. The Brewers lost again so the Cardinals have a 2 game lead for the NL Central pennant. Oli Marmol is coming into his own as a manager in his first year finally. Looking forward to a good final 1/3 of the season these last two months.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Mrs. Rasputin and I were at the game today. It was quite a ballgame. Wainwright struggled, for two reasons. First, it was very, very hot and muggy, and he's not as young as he used to be. Secondly, the home plate umpire was using his grandmother's thimble for the strike zone. The game took 4 and a half hours to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    One of the worst umpired games (in both directions) I’ve seen in a long time that didn’t include Angel Hernandez.
    I'm impressed that Rasputin and Mrs. Rasputin made it through that game - it looked absolutely miserable out there and that was a really long game. Hope you drank a lot of water!

I only watched part of the game but the ump really was awful. Wainwright was understandably getting upset. As a somewhat biased observer, I think that some of the Cards pitchers have gotten a bit spoiled by Molina's incredible framing so they don't have fully reasonable expectations on the strike zone, but yesterday the ump was off quite a bit. As the announcer said, if the ump is going to squeeze them at the top of the strike zone, at least give them a bit more at the bottom, but he was doing neither.

Hoping the Yanks can rebound in Seattle. Things seem to be evening out - early in the year they had all of the lucky breaks and timing, and now it is the opposite. Missing Stanton and Rizzo does not help but it is not an excuse. I'm guessing this travel does not help Rizzo's back - I kind of wish they would just send him home and let him get more fully healthy for the rest of the year if he isn't going to play, but he seems to be taking it day to day

I was really impressed by the Cards defense throughout the series, and they are achieving that defensive excellence without making huge sacrifices offensively.

Congrats to the Cards for the great play against the Yankees. Moved into first place in the NL Central
    Congrats to the Mets for their series with the Braves.
    Thumbs down to my Padres for being swept by the Dodgers. Barely hanging on to the last Wild Card position.
    Braves weren't much better.
    Phillies making a run.

Lots of Baseball left

Pete Rose didn’t exactly wrap himself in glory over the weekend. What a jerk.

Mikolas just doesn't have it at Coors tonight against my Rockies. And Nolan is having a sub-par night at third so far. A bit of a letdown after the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Mikolas just doesn't have it at Coors tonight against my Rockies. And Nolan is having a sub-par night at third so far. A bit of a letdown after the weekend?
    A start to forget for Mikolas. 2.2 IP and 10 ER on 14 H. Statistically, that was one of the worst starts in recent history for a Cardinals pitcher to my knowledge. Let’s hope it was an outlier. The Brewers won last night so the Redbirds lead the division by just one game now. Quintana makes his 2nd start for the Cardinals tonight. He pitched well in his first start against the Cubs last Thursday.

Pirates infielder Rodolfo Castro has phone fly from back pocket during slide

The Pittsburgh infielder lost his phone during a slide into third base, and the Pirates lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-4 on Tuesday night.

Third-base umpire Adam Hamari immediately saw the phone and pointed to it on the ground. The 23-year-old Castro picked up the phone and handed it to Pirates third-base coach Mike Rabelo, who had an exasperated look on his face before taking it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...et-slide-third

Lame Tigers finally dump GM Alex Avila after 22 years with organization.
    Yawn.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Lame Tigers finally dump GM Alex Avila after 22 years with organization.
    Yawn.
    The team subsequently stepped up and lost to the so-called Guardians. Al was hapless. Yesterday, five of the nine starters were batting below .219...if there were relegation...

Albert Pujols hit career home run #687 last night for the Cardinals. The Redbirds got some revenge on the Rockies and won 9-5. The Brewers won, too, so the Cardinals maintain a 1 game lead for the NL Central pennant. At 42, Pujols became the 2nd oldest player in MLB history with 4 hits and a HR in one game.

Cleveland's Sam Rice was 44 years old when he accomplished the feat on June 15, 1934.

Pujols, at 42, is still having a respectable season for the Cardinals. In platoon duty, he’s batting .244 this year with 8 HR and 26 RBI.

Nolan Arenado is starting to join Paul Goldschmidt in the category of Cardinals that may get NL MVP votes. Arenado is batting .304 with 23 HR and 71 RBI now.

MLB Field of Dreams Game

The 2nd in MLB history occurs tonight from Dyersville, Iowa and features the Cubs (45-65) versus the Reds (44-66).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The Pittsburgh infielder lost his phone during a slide into third base, and the Pirates lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks 6-4 on Tuesday night.

Third-base umpire Adam Hamari immediately saw the phone and pointed to it on the ground. The 23-year-old Castro picked up the phone and handed it to Pirates third-base coach Mike Rabelo, who had an exasperated look on his face before taking it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...et-slide-third
    Less embarrassing than Tim Raines’ coke vial. He slid face first to keep from squashing it

Tatis suspended 80 games for PED. By now, I shouldn’t be impacted by these things, but damn.

I’m impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Tatis suspended 80 games for PED. By now, I shouldn’t be impacted by these things, but damn.

I’m impacted.
    Ooh, he "inadvertently" took a banned substance. Well, butthead, you are inadvertently tarnished. G'bye.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

I’m impacted.
    He is not endearing himself with Padre fans with the poor choices.. last year with Manny in the dugout, off season motorcycle accident and now this.

He needs to do some growing up and make better choices.

Lets go Padres.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    He is not endearing himself with Padre fans with the poor choices.. last year with Manny in the dugout, off season motorcycle accident and now this.

He needs to do some growing up and make better choices.

Lets go Padres.
    I think it may have been motorcycle accidents (plural). Apparently when a reporter asked him when his motorcycle accident occurred, he replied with “which one?”

Apparently he stated he took this substance which contained Clostebol (performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program) to treat ringworm. I am not sure I believe that, but I am not a doctor and maybe people do take it to treat ringworm! And maybe he took it to treat ringworm in addition to looking to gain an illegal athletically related edge.

He has amazing talent but is very immature. I don’t think he’s worth 14 years $340 million, especially now, but maybe he’ll redeem himself. American sports give lots of 2nd chances.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    He has amazing talent but is very immature. I don’t think he’s worth 14 years $340 million, especially now, but maybe he’ll redeem himself. American sports give lots of 2nd chances.
    That contract will be the albatross around the Padres' neck for many years.