Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    A college kid caught Judge’s 60 HR ball and gave it to him for just a meet and greet for him and three buddies. They all got signed balls and he got a signed bat too.

Kudos to them but they could have gotten much more.

And everyone wins because Zach Hample didn’t get it.

One more thing - the HR gave Judge the current lead in batting average so he is sitting on the Triple Crown as of this morning.
    MLB network shows Judge’s at bats, particularly when they’re in limited around the league action. I don’t have the entire package so no way to watch a game against Pirates. I hope MLB plans to cut in on every at bat tonight even if they’re carrying another game.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    MLB network shows Judge’s at bats, particularly when they’re in limited around the league action. I don’t have the entire package so no way to watch a game against Pirates. I hope MLB plans to cut in on every at bat tonight even if they’re carrying another game.
    MLB has a steeply discounted price for the remainder of the season. You might want to spring for it! Or not. Replays will be everywhere. I used to have just have the audio subscription for $20/year, a tremendous bargain, but sprang for the entire tv package 3 years ago. We watch a lot of Yankee games!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    MLB has a steeply discounted price for the remainder of the season. You might want to spring for it! Or not. Replays will be everywhere. I used to have just have the audio subscription for $20/year, a tremendous bargain, but sprang for the entire tv package 3 years ago. We watch a lot of Yankee games!
    Thanks for the advice and might just do this (although in principle we're against paying even more for extra services - just won't tell Ms. Arnie as she'll try to cancel the ESPN stuff)

I have basically shut down my life in the evenings to watch Judge go for the record. Last night he hit one to deep center that was caught on the track. Hopefully he will get it soon - it would be extra nice to get it at home against Boston. And he is currently in the lead for the triple crown. I'm sure the Cardinals fans here are doing the same for Pujols.

I just read this article that Judge is involved in and it got a little dusty here. It is a really great story. And it really hit home for me as I took my boys (my younger son is slightly younger than Derek in the story) to a Blue Jays-Pirates game in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and they got their first ball, which ironically was tossed to them by a Blue Jay (not sure who) during batting practice. The looks on their faces were priceless.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-home-run-ball

These last two weeks are going to be exciting. Padres still in the NL Wild Cards race. Phillies, Padres. & Milwaukee all in the hunt for those last two positions. Braves & Mets trying to be the division winner, the other a Wild Card team and I think they play the last series against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I have basically shut down my life in the evenings to watch Judge go for the record. Last night he hit one to deep center that was caught on the track. Hopefully he will get it soon - it would be extra nice to get it at home against Boston. And he is currently in the lead for the triple crown. I'm sure the Cardinals fans here are doing the same for Pujols.

I just read this article that Judge is involved in and it got a little dusty here. It is a really great story. And it really hit home for me as I took my boys (my younger son is slightly younger than Derek in the story) to a Blue Jays-Pirates game in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and they got their first ball, which ironically was tossed to them by a Blue Jay (not sure who) during batting practice. The looks on their faces were priceless.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-home-run-ball
    When my sons were young, they were baseball fanatics. They insisted that we take our gloves to batting practice at the Rockies' games.

I caught two batting practice home runs. A Barry Bonds homer to right field at the Mile High Stadium {where the Rockies played their first two years) and a Dante Bischette homer to left field in Coors Field. I have very modest athletic achievements. These two were toward the top of my list.

Apple TV broadcast is pretty bad.

Apple TV broadcast is pretty bad.
    Pretty bad?? The buffering and picture quality worst I’ve seen in decades. At least the picture is in color, otherwise I’d compare it to 1961 broadcast when Maris hit 61.

Pujols just hit career HR 699 at Dodger Stadium.

1 shy of 700.

Dodgers legend Albert Pujols hits his second home run of the night for #700. So happy that it happened in Dodger Stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Dodgers legend Albert Pujols hits his second home run of the night for #700. So happy that it happened in Dodger Stadium!
    And tonight's games for both of my teams (Cardinals and Yankees), were on Greedy SOB's TV, not on the subscription I paid for by getting the DirecTV MLB Extra Innings package, or my local cable for the Cardinals. Don't tell me they are "available" on some streaming service that I am NEVER, EVER going to plunk down for. (Yes, I realize that tonight's game was "free," if you can figure out all the space-age computer stuff, which I can't.) Once again, MLB shows us that the money counts and the fans don't.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Couldn’t happen in a better place. Congrats to Albert Pujols. What an achievement. Names like Ruth, Aaron and Pujols are going to live in baseball memory for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    And tonight's games for both of my teams (Cardinals and Yankees), were on Greedy SOB's TV, not on the subscription I paid for by getting the DirecTV MLB Extra Innings package, or my local cable for the Cardinals. Don't tell me they are "available" on some streaming service that I am NEVER, EVER going to plunk down for. (Yes, I realize that tonight's game was "free," if you can figure out all the space-age computer stuff, which I can't.) Once again, MLB shows us that the money counts and the fans don't.
    Yeah, it’s really annoying that MLB essentially blocked millions (including MLBTV subscribers) from viewing a historic moment live so that MLB could get some more money from Apple, whose production value is utter garbage, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Couldn’t happen in a better place. Congrats to Albert Pujols. What an achievement. Names like Ruth, Aaron and Pujols are going to live in baseball memory for a long time.
    I like your list of 3. The only legit members of the 700 club.

Congrats to The Machine, Albert Pujols

700 career home runs

986C5E61-E07A-4E44-85D0-D2998D065EB4.jpg

Photo courtesy St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    The Dodger fans were fantastic in their enthusiasm for Albert. Showed a lot of class, but they always do. Albert showed emotion for the first time in his pursuit of the 700 Club. If he couldn't do it at Busch Stadium, I'm glad he did it at Dodger Stadium.

Other facts about Albert Pujols

Albert Pujols has his 18th 20-home run season, 3rd-most in MLB history behind only Hank Aaron (20) and Barry Bonds (19).

Pujols joins Ted Williams as the only players to hit 20 HR in their first and last season in MLB history (min. 10 seasons played).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Albert Pujols has his 18th 20-home run season, 3rd-most in MLB history behind only Hank Aaron (20) and Barry Bonds (19).

Pujols joins Ted Williams as the only players to hit 20 HR in their first and last season in MLB history (min. 10 seasons played).
    Good stuff ^. Albert and Hank Aaron are the only MLB players with 700 home runs and 3,000 hits. When he hit #700 off Bickford that made the 455th pitcher he's homered off in his career. That's #1 in MLB history. Second is Barry Bonds with 449. Albert hit his #499 and #500 home runs in the same game just like last night. A Tampa Rays scout tried his best to get the team to draft Albert in the 1999 draft, but they refused. Instead, Josh Hamilton and Josh Beckett went #1 and #2 in the draft and after those two picks, 399 other players were selected before the future HOF player. The Ray scout thought he had convinced the GM to take Albert in the 3rd or 4th round, but they didn't. He resigned a year later. Albert said that he thought the Red Sox might take him, but they refused to include the cost of an education in their potential contract. I'm glad the Cardinals didn't refuse. They took him with the 18th pick in the 13th round. What a career.

Sources: ESPN leaned on MLB to keep last night's ridiculous rain delay going, wanting one more chance to air Aaron Judge going for 61 HR. But when Boone made it known they wanted to keep players safe and were very open to subbing out Judge, execs relented

Bad look for MLB. It was a monsoon at Yankee Stadium.

Sources: ESPN leaned on MLB to keep last night's ridiculous rain delay going, wanting one more chance to air Aaron Judge going for 61 HR. But when Boone made it known they wanted to keep players safe and were very open to subbing out Judge, execs relented

Bad look for MLB. It was a monsoon at Yankee Stadium.
    Right. MLB cares about three things:
    1. The Right Thing
    2. The Thing that People Might Begin to Stomach if issue #1 won't make enough money;
    3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Guess which one carries the day?