Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Pirates and Cubs played a 4-game series and the Baby Bears outscored the Buccos 29-12 while managing to lose 3 of the four games. Pythagoras wept. Methinks this series involved two dreadful teams.

Padres.. Rough series with the dodgers. A trend is now emerging, The Friars can't hit as a team. Team batting .221 .

Some Starters
    Cronenworth .193
    Profar .224
    Grisham .132
    Kim .182
    Nola ,229
    Myers .192
    Voit DH .143
    Machado .339
    Hosmer .375

Reds are 3-22. Last in the league in hitting and pitching. Could they be the worst team in MLB history??

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Reds are 3-22. Last in the league in hitting and pitching. Could they be the worst team in MLB history??
    They are the fifth team to lose 22 of their first 25 games. So, they have company in the basement.

Meanwhile, the Mets come back from a 6 run deficit to beat the Phillies 8-7. They have the biggest lead in the majors (partly because the feast of the NL East is at or below .500.)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Jeff Passan might think so.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Cards beat the Giants last night in the golden state 7-1. The Redbirds are a respectable 15-10 with 137 games remaining. Arenado is having an MVP type season early (he or Machado are the early front runners for NO
    MVP, key word - early). He’s batting .348 with 7 HRs and 23 RBI. Yadi hit his first dinger of the year last night which was his 172nd HR in his career. He’s now tied with Ted Simmons for 9th most HRs in the history of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Regarding the Reds, they’re an enigma. Lots of talent but they are god awful this year. 14.5 games out on May 6th. Their season is pretty much over if you ask me. Stinks to be a Reds fan especially with their history and the Big Red machine. They’ve been dreadful recently.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Cards beat the Giants last night in the golden state 7-1. The Redbirds are a respectable 15-10 with 137 games remaining. Arenado is having an MVP type season early (he or Machado are the early front runners for NO
    MVP, key word - early). He’s batting .348 with 7 HRs and 23 RBI. Yadi hit his first dinger of the year last night which was his 172nd HR in his career. He’s now tied with Ted Simmons for 9th most HRs in the history of the St. Louis Cardinals.

Regarding the Reds, they’re an enigma. Lots of talent but they are god awful this year. 14.5 games out on May 6th. Their season is pretty much over if you ask me. Stinks to be a Reds fan especially with their history and the Big Red machine. They’ve been dreadful recently.
    Miles Mikolas was the winner for the Cards but actually pitched his worst game of the season. In 5 2/3 innings he gave up 7 hits, 3 walks, and had 95 pitches. However, he only allowed 1 run but saw his era go up to 1.53. His record is 2-1 but has pitched well enough to have 4 or 5 wins. Rookie, Juan Yepez got his first RBI in his major league career. Since being called up this week he's hitting .571 with an OPS of 1.428. He tied a Cardinal Rookie record in his major league debut with 2 doubles. He was voted Cardinal minor league MVP last season and in last 136 minor league games he has 36 homers. The rookie shortened his swing in 2021 and has been a terrific hitter. He can play 3 positions (3rd, 1st & RF) but DH may be his calling card in the future as Albert calls it quits after this season. I'm looking for Nolan Gorman to be called up sooner rather than later from AAA as he's having a great season. He was moved from 3b to 2b when the Cards traded for Nolan Arenado last season. I think Tommy Edman will move over to shortstop to replace Paul DeJong who's hitting .119. DeJong is a very good defensive player but has been a horrible hitter the last 3 seasons. The defense may suffer because Edman was a Gold Glove winner last season at second but the Cardinals need to improve their offense.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Jeff Passan might think so.
    35 individual pitches have at least as many wins as the Reds do as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    They are the fifth team to lose 22 of their first 25 games. So, they have company in the basement.

Meanwhile, the Mets come back from a 6 run deficit to beat the Phillies 8-7. They have the biggest lead in the majors (partly because the feast of the NL East is at or below .500.)
    Games in April and May are worth the same as those in September. And you have to beat whomever you play - regardless of its record at the time.

Here’s Gary Cohen’s play-by-play from last night. Wow.

https://twitter.com/theathletic/status/1522419472371523585?s=21&t=IQfW2X4rI0ATDDYOr_u6UA

I like this team. Have shown heart this season. Buck has been a great hire so far. Good to have adults in the room. LGM!

Mr. Met.jpg
    Last edited by duke74; 05-06-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Games in April and May are worth the same as those in September. And you have to beat whomever you play - regardless of its record at the time.

Here’s Gary Cohen’s play-by-play from last night. Wow.

https://twitter.com/theathletic/stat...I0ATDDYOr_u6UA

I like this team. Have shown heart this season. Buck has been a great hire so far. Good to have adults in the room. LGM!

Mr. Met.jpg
    The Cards-Mets series coming up soon should be interesting. With the number of HBPs in the series in St. Louis, we could see some fireworks. I hope not because both of these teams have good shots at winning their divisions. An injury to one of the stars on either team could be unfortunate.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The Cards-Mets series coming up soon should be interesting. With the number of HBPs in the series in St. Louis, we could see some fireworks. I hope not because both of these teams have good shots at winning their divisions. An injury to one of the stars on either team could be unfortunate.

GoRedbirds!
    I'm tired of us being on the receiving end. Leading MLB with almost 1 per game.

Glad we are fighting back. No problem with retaliation if that stuff continues. And with the DH, the pitchers are safe to be "tough" on the mound.

Just don't dig in too deeply or lean over the plate, Birds.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I'm tired of us being on the receiving end. Leading MLB with almost 1 per game.

Glad we are fighting back. No problem with retaliation if that stuff continues. And with the DH, the pitchers are safe to be "tough" on the mound.

Just don't dig in too deeply or lean over the plate, Birds.
    Alonzo was hit in the helmet with a change up, Marte was hit on the elbow with the bases loaded and Davis was hit in the ankle. I don't think any of those 3 were intentional. Four of the HBPs came from the St. Louis relief pitchers and one of those guys has been DFA. I hope someone claims him as he's one of Mozelak's over the hill gang he acquired. I can see why the Mets are upset because it just wasn't the Cardinals hitting them. If there is a brawl, Alonzo better watch out for the old guy coaching the bases.

GoRedbirds!

Alonzo was hit in the helmet with a change up, Marte was hit on the elbow with the bases loaded and Davis was hit in the ankle. I don't think any of those 3 were intentional. Four of the HBPs came from the St. Louis relief pitchers and one of those guys has been DFA. I hope someone claims him as he's one of Mozelak's over the hill gang he acquired. I can see why the Mets are upset because it just wasn't the Cardinals hitting them. If there is a brawl, Alonzo better watch out for the old guy coaching the bases.

GoRedbirds!
    Especially if the weenie sneaks up and tackles him from behind like he did.

Also, it's not just the Birds. A few games earlier, Lindor got it in the head. Like it's open season on the Mets.

I don’t recommend many videos here, but if you have not yet seen Jorge Alfaro’s walk-off home run here at Petco yesterday, check this out: https://twitter.com/MLB/status/15234...CPCnObCi49Gpuw

I also highly recommend the on-field interview afterwards: https://twitter.com/BallySportsSD/st...awZSMDvagJnfog
    Carolina delenda est

The Redbirds open a 3 game interleague set tonight at home vs the Baltimore Orioles.

Tonight, the Orioles will play their first game against the Cardinals at new Busch Stadium, a venue that is now 16 years old. They are the last team to visit.

The last time the Orioles played in St. Louis was June 8, 2003.

23 year old Albert Pujols was the starting left fielder for the Cardinals that afternoon.

The Redbirds open a 3 game interleague set tonight at home vs the Baltimore Orioles.

Tonight, the Orioles will play their first game against the Cardinals at new Busch Stadium, a venue that is now 16 years old. They are the last team to visit.

The last time the Orioles played in St. Louis was June 8, 2003.

23 year old Albert Pujols was the starting left fielder for the Cardinals that afternoon.
    The Cardinals sent Paul DeJong down to AAA after giving him 3 years to get his swing corrected. The Cards lost 5-3 last night to the Orioles. The only bright spots were Harrison Bader's inside the park home run. It was the first inside the park homer in new Busch and the last by a Cardinal since Fernando Vina did it in 2001. It was the first at home since Vince Coleman did it in 1985. The second good thing in the game for the Cardinals was rookie Brendan Donavan hit his first MLB home run. Donovan was playing SS in place of DeJong. The Cardinals are going to get Gold Glove 2nd baseman Tommy Edman ready to play SS. He played SS at Stanford in his college days. I'm hoping this is the handwriting on the wall for Nolan Gorman getting called up from AAA to take over the 2nd base job with Tommy moving over to SS.

GoRedbirds

The Cardinals sent Paul DeJong down to AAA after giving him 3 years to get his swing corrected. The Cards lost 5-3 last night to the Orioles. The only bright spots were Harrison Bader's inside the park home run. It was the first inside the park homer in new Busch and the last by a Cardinal since Fernando Vina did it in 2001. It was the first at home since Vince Coleman did it in 1985. The second good thing in the game for the Cardinals was rookie Brendan Donavan hit his first MLB home run. Donovan was playing SS in place of DeJong. The Cardinals are going to get Gold Glove 2nd baseman Tommy Edman ready to play SS. He played SS at Stanford in his college days. I'm hoping this is the handwriting on the wall for Nolan Gorman getting called up from AAA to take over the 2nd base job with Tommy moving over to SS.

GoRedbirds
    It was tough to see DeJong struggle this season but I think it was the right move to send him to AAA Memphis. Hopefully he can regain his form there and be back in the big leagues this season. Kramer Robertson was called up from AAA Memphis. He is the son of LSU women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey. He played middle infield for LSU in college. I hope he does well in the big leagues. But I want to see Nolan Gorman get a shot to be the every day second baseman of the Cardinals. He’s batting .298 with 12 HRs in AAA. He’s only 22. He looks like a second basemen that could hit 25-35 HRs in the big leagues per season. He has great power.

It was tough to see DeJong struggle this season but I think it was the right move to send him to AAA Memphis. Hopefully he can regain his form there and be back in the big leagues this season. Kramer Robertson was called up from AAA Memphis. He is the son of LSU women’s basketball coach Kim Mulkey. He played middle infield for LSU in college. I hope he does well in the big leagues. But I want to see Nolan Gorman get a shot to be the every day second baseman of the Cardinals. He’s batting .298 with 12 HRs in AAA. He’s only 22. He looks like a second basemen that could hit 25-35 HRs in the big leagues per season. He has great power.
    Another Cardinal minor leaguer to keep an eye on is Moises Gomez a 23 year old outfielder who's currently playing in Springfield (AA). The Rays released him in October, 2021 when he hit .171. A month later the Cards signed him as a FA. He's hitting .379 AVG., OBP .434, SLG .905 and OPS 1.330. He has 14 home runs and 8 doubles. Right now he's not listed in the Cardinal top 30 prospects but if he keeps hitting like he's doing now, that could change pretty quickly.

LOL

Reviving this thread merely to note more evidence the game has changed. Cincy player suspended for three games for slapping an opposing player before a game over a fantasy football dispute. Ty Cobb would be proud.

Hard to figure out how Syracuse is so bad and yet everybody the Mets call up seems to contribute. Petersen settled down after a rocky first inning and was fine thereafter. Plummer has two HR and five RBI in his first two games as a Met. Holderman has been sensational out of the pen.

Schedule gets much tougher once the calendar turns to June. Ten-game road trip to LA/SD/Anaheim. Series with Brewers and Astros later on ( I have tickets for 6/22 in Houston). The 9.5 game lead is likely to shrink.

Get well soon, Jake and Max.
    Last edited by burnspbesq; 05-31-2022 at 02:10 AM.