Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 MLB Season

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That contract will be the albatross around the Padres' neck for many years.
    So I assume his suspension means they are off the hook for half a year of his salary?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That contract will be the albatross around the Padres' neck for many years.
    The Padres will be looking at that contract. From ownership’s standpoint, this is strike three. First there was the shoulder/leadership issue last year. Then the off-season injury due to riding a motorcycle and now this. They have stood by the guy they thought would be the franchise player, but with the lack of mutual commitment various things are back on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    So I assume his suspension means they are off the hook for half a year of his salary?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I think it may have been motorcycle accidents (plural). Apparently when a reporter asked him when his motorcycle accident occurred, he replied with “which one?”

Apparently he stated he took this substance which contained Clostebol (performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program) to treat ringworm. I am not sure I believe that, but I am not a doctor and maybe people do take it to treat ringworm! And maybe he took it to treat ringworm in addition to looking to gain an illegal athletically related edge.

He has amazing talent but is very immature. I don’t think he’s worth 14 years $340 million, especially now, but maybe he’ll redeem himself. American sports give lots of 2nd chances.
    In his rush to come up with an explanation/excuse, he might have mixed up Clobetasol (a corticosteroid found in some topical creams) with Clostebol (the anabolic steroid he actually tested positive for).

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Yes, but his contract is heavily backloaded. He is making $5 million in 2022 and $7 million in 2023, so the Padres won’t be saving much.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    In his rush to come up with an explanation/excuse, he might have mixed up Clobetasol (a corticosteroid found in some topical creams) with Clostebol (the anabolic steroid he actually tested positive for).
    To be clear, I don’t believe Tatis. But his claim is plausible (if not likely):

But read the label on Trofodermin or other antibiotic ointments sold over the counter in Europe, South American and Central America, and you’ll see clostebol acetate listed under active ingredients. The FDA doesn’t permit it in similar OTC products sold here, but you can walk into a pharmacy in, say, Italy or Brazil and buy it without a prescription to treat skin abrasions or lesions.
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...eroid-ringworm
    Last edited by cato; 08-14-2022 at 04:06 PM.

[QUOTE=cato;1511038]To be clear, I don’t believe Tatis. But his claim is plausible (if not likely):

As a Padre fan for over 50 years, I do not believe Tatis at all.
    Not I don’t think he’s like DeShaun Watson, but he’s popped the happy balloon for me from the good times of the previous 3 yrs

Good series by the Cardinals in St. Louis this weekend vs the Brewers. The Cardinals won today 6-3 to take 2 of 3 in the series vs the Brew Crew. The Redbirds are now 63-51 and lead the NL Central by 1.5 games over the Brewers.

Albert Pujols with 2 HRs today - HRs numbers 688 and 689 of his career. That’s 5th most in MLB history. He’s just 7 back of A Rod for 4th most in MLB history. I think he can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

As a Padre fan for over 50 years, I do not believe Tatis at all.
    Not I don’t think he’s like DeShaun Watson, but he’s popped the happy balloon for me from the good times of the previous 3 yrs
    It’s sad. He was the first big time sports star my kids became a fan of.

Luckily they’ve got lots of other players on the Padres to root for, starting with Manny Machado. He’s the guy they’ve been focused on when he comes to bat or he makes a play this past year or so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...eroid-ringworm
    Preller and his teammates don’t seem to be buying the “dog ate my homework” excuse, but if it in fact played out like he claims then he should have contemporaneous evidence to support his story and will have opportunities to present it in response to the questions he will face going forward.

Preller and his teammates don’t seem to be buying the “dog ate my homework” excuse, but if it in fact played out like he claims then he should have contemporaneous evidence to support his story and will have opportunities to present it in response to the questions he will face going forward.
    A doper or a dope. Or maybe both. Funny.

The Yankees have slowed their paced down. They’re still virtually a lock to win the AL East unless they really nose dive these last 50ish games but I believe their record the past 30 games is 11-19. They are 8-15 since the All-Star break.

The NL East race could effectively be over by this time next week. Mets play four each with Braves and Phils this week. If they win six or more out of eight, they’ll be virtually impossible to catch, given their laughably easy September schedule (between 9/2 and the last weekend of the season, a three-game series with the Brewers represents their only games against teams with winning records).

LFGM!

The Yankees have slowed their paced down. They’re still virtually a lock to win the AL East unless they really nose dive these last 50ish games but I believe their record the past 30 games is 11-19. They are 8-15 since the All-Star break.
    There are two primary reasons for the Yankees horrid stretch. 1. Everyone who is not named Aaron Judge (maybe Kiner-Falefa too) is not hitting. Missing Rizzo and Stanton doesn't help, but LeMahieu, Torres (remember when he was a future MVP caliber prospect), Donaldson, Hicks and Benintendi are not hitting. I'd love to go look at their team batting average (even with Judge) since they were about 52-18 and on track to possibly break the record for most regular season wins (now it looks like the Dodgers could make a run at it). 2. Their bullpen which was among the best in baseball the first half is in disarray right now. Holmes can't throw strikes any more. The bright spot is that Chapman seems to be rounding back into form. We may see him revert to closer with Effross and Trevino becoming main set up guys if Holmes can't figure it out soon.

I still am very confused about the Montgomery trade. I'm excited about Bader if he can get healthy for the post-season, but the Yankees starting pitching is not exactly deep right now. Some food for thought on that trade here.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

As I said, I don’t buy it either. I was responding to your (apparently incorrect) post about the specific steroid and specific claim Tatis and his camp are advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The NL East race could effectively be over by this time next week. Mets play four each with Braves and Phils this week. If they win six or more out of eight, they’ll be virtually impossible to catch, given their laughably easy September schedule (between 9/2 and the last weekend of the season, a three-game series with the Brewers represents their only games against teams with winning records).

LFGM!
    The Mets have been impressive thus far this year, but the NL East is not over yet. The Braves are smoking the Mets tonight for what looks like their 7th straight win to get to 4.5 GB for the NL East. Of course they have to face Walker, Scherzer, and DeGrom their next 3 games so they needed to win this one to have any shot of not getting swept!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    There are two primary reasons for the Yankees horrid stretch. 1. Everyone who is not named Aaron Judge (maybe Kiner-Falefa too) is not hitting. Missing Rizzo and Stanton doesn't help, but LeMahieu, Torres (remember when he was a future MVP caliber prospect), Donaldson, Hicks and Benintendi are not hitting. I'd love to go look at their team batting average (even with Judge) since they were about 52-18 and on track to possibly break the record for most regular season wins (now it looks like the Dodgers could make a run at it). 2. Their bullpen which was among the best in baseball the first half is in disarray right now. Holmes can't throw strikes any more. The bright spot is that Chapman seems to be rounding back into form. We may see him revert to closer with Effross and Trevino becoming main set up guys if Holmes can't figure it out soon.

I still am very confused about the Montgomery trade. I'm excited about Bader if he can get healthy for the post-season, but the Yankees starting pitching is not exactly deep right now. Some food for thought on that trade here.
    Still not hitting. Blanked by the Rays last night. 11-20 in the last 31 and 8-16 since the All Star break. I have heard from some Yankee fans if they don’t win the World Series this year, Aaron Boone is gone. Rizzo and Stanton need to get healthy ASAP and the rest of the lineup needs to start hitting for that to happen.

Braves beat the Mets again. 8 wins in a row for the Braves and they’re just 3.5 games back of the Mets for the NL East pennant. Are the Bravos gonna make the Mets sweat a bit in 2022 to get a divisional title?

Yanks lose again. 11-21 in their last 32 and 8-17 since the All-Star break. No way they can still be the betting favorites to win the 2022 World Series, right? I know Stanton and Rizzo are hurt … but man they are putting up some seriously bad offensive numbers lately even with who they’re running out there nightly.

Will be much tougher for Braves next 2 games facing Scherzer and DeGrom back to back. They then have the Astros coming to town.

However this season ends up the Braves are setting themselves up to be dominant for the foreseeable future. They have control of Olson, Riley, Acuna, Harris, Albies, and Grissom the next several seasons, and they are all under 28 years old. In fact, read tonight that they are in talks with Harris to lock him up for 8 years. In the offseason they will need to decide if they are willing and able to sign Swanson to an extension, or not.

Braves beat the Mets again. 8 wins in a row for the Braves and they’re just 3.5 games back of the Mets for the NL East pennant. Are the Bravos gonna make the Mets sweat a bit in 2022 to get a divisional title?

Yanks lose again. 11-21 in their last 32 and 8-17 since the All-Star break. No way they can still be the betting favorites to win the 2022 World Series, right? I know Stanton and Rizzo are hurt … but man they are putting up some seriously bad offensive numbers lately even with who they’re running out there nightly.
    Rizzo is back but doesn’t seem to matter and a fan has to assume fragile Stanton will miss 50% of any season. Aaron Hicks likely the worst offensive outfielder in the majors and Donaldson/Torres both in big slumps.

Even if some of these guys start hitting, the lack of a closer keeps the Yanks from advancing far.