Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I’m with ya Billy Dat. We can throw out the Xs and Os. What kind of heart are our guys bringing tonight? Go Duke!
    IN this sense, will the D ratchet up, force TO and subsequent fast break points. Did the offense slow down during the grueling stretch of games, but now, with rest, are they free to run? LGD

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Very minor quibble, but neither Moore nor Keels are undersized compared with Williams (who is 6'5", 210lb). They are a bit undersized compared with LaRavia (6'8", 230lb). But LaRavia would likely be guarded by either Griffin or Banchero, depending upon foul trouble and focus (with the other guarding Mucius).

I'm not concerned with our options for defending Williams. Whether or not they perform is another question, but Keels and Moore are more than suitable for guarding Williams.
    You’re right, I’m wrong about Williams’s size. Don’t know how I thought him 6’7”??

My concern is mostly re Griffin’s D on LaRavia, which I think a very bad matchup for Duke. But I’m open, seriously, to a counter-argument expressing more confidence in Griffin’s D. As I said, I’m impressed with LaRavia’s ability to drive, and unimpressed with Griffin’s D-footwork.

We need Griffin’s 3s. I’d put him on Mucius or Monsanto. Mucius much prefers the perimeter (78% of his shots this season from 3), Monsanto almost exclusively so (83%).

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    You’re right, I’m wrong about Williams’s size. Don’t know how I thought him 6’7”??

My concern is mostly re Griffin’s D on LaRavia, which I think a very bad matchup for Duke. But I’m open, seriously, to a counter-argument expressing more confidence in Griffin’s D. As I said, I’m impressed with LaRavia’s ability to drive, and unimpressed with Griffin’s D-footwork.

We need Griffin’s 3s. I’d put him on Mucius or Monsanto. Mucius much prefers the perimeter (78% of his shots this season from 3), Monsanto almost exclusively so (83%).
    I think Griffin's issues are largely against quicker players, and LaRavia isn't that. But I also would expect that Banchero will be the one guarding LaRavia first, with Griffin on Mucius.

For either Banchero or Griffin, the key will be focus and effort. I think both are more than capable physically of guarding LaRavia (who is crafty and angly, but not quick or explosive). It's a question of being dialed in on that end for those two guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think Griffin's issues are largely against quicker players, and LaRavia isn't that. But I also would expect that Banchero will be the one guarding LaRavia first, with Griffin on Mucius.

For either Banchero or Griffin, the key will be focus and effort. I think both are more than capable physically of guarding LaRavia (who is crafty and angly, but not quick or explosive). It's a question of being dialed in on that end for those two guys.
    Spot-on description of LaRavia’s game, “crafty and angly.” But now you mention Banchero as another defender on LaRavia, I’m still (a little Debbie Downerish) worried, as Banchero’s D-footwork is suspect, too.

I don’t remember who guarded LaRavia in first game, and whether it was mostly the same Duke player. But LaRavia got into the lane a number of times in the second half, after being a non-factor in the first.

I guess Wake is mostly 4-out-1-in, with LaRavia frequently driving, Mucius shooting 3s?

Who brings the energy, the effort, and the heart tonight ? Will it be Duke or the Deacs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Who brings the energy, the effort, and the heart tonight ? Will it be Duke or the Deacs ?
    Could be both. Just because one will win doesn’t mean the other did not bring effort and heart. The bigger question is whether Duke will execute under pressure

not sure what the post may make up tomorrow, but neither Bobby knight nor tommy amaker are sitting on the side lines during shoot around 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Spot-on description of LaRavia’s game, “crafty and angly.” But now you mention Banchero as another defender on LaRavia, I’m still (a little Debbie Downerish) worried, as Banchero’s D-footwork is suspect, too.

I don’t remember who guarded LaRavia in first game, and whether it was mostly the same Duke player. But LaRavia got into the lane a number of times in the second half, after being a non-factor in the first.

I guess Wake is mostly 4-out-1-in, with LaRavia frequently driving, Mucius shooting 3s?
    Well I mentioned Banchero initially too .

And yes, both Griffin and Banchero have the physical ability, but not always the awareness/effort. Fortunately, LaRavia isn't the most athletic dude, so perhaps given the athleticism of Banchero or Griffin that they can make up for the issue. I'm not so concerned about LaRavia driving as I am him making off-ball cuts and being fed by Williams.

Basically, the only guy I worry about off the dribble is Davion Williamson. Alondes Williams is a slow, back-you-down type offensively, so as long as we don't get stuck with Roach guarding him we match up well. LaRavia isn't going to blow by either of our forwards, but he might catch them napping. Mucius and Monsanto don't drive at all.

DBR Chat is open!

If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page.

If it's running too fast for you, you can always check out the chat archive to catch up.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Come on Duke, go get this one.

Keels starting for Roach. Keels, Moore, Griffin, Banchero, and Williams is a BIG starting lineup.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

That was a ridiculous pass from Banchero to AJ.

Why is WFU not ranked with a record of 20-6/10-5? Ranked or not, hats off to Wake for upgrading both football and basketball head coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by mozdukemod View Post
    Why is WFU not ranked with a record of 20-6/10-5? Ranked or not, hats off to Wake for upgrading both football and basketball head coaches.
    No hats off while we are playing. We can doff after we beat them.

Wake 2-5 from 3. They have a lot of good shooters. We need to not let them get hot from 3.

Not loving Banchero shooting a ton from outside. So far two threes and a long two, and none of them close. He just doesn’t seem to like to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Not loving Banchero shooting a ton from outside. So far two threes and a long two, and none of them close. He just doesn’t seem to like to mix it up.
    Another poor start for him. Frustrating

Loosy goosy

Our shot selection seems to be the main issue so far. Defense is playing fairly well. But we are missing everything on the other end.

Don't see a good shooting team. Hope Duke can get the yips or whatever is bothering their accuracy out of their game now.