Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    There is not a snowball's chance in Hades that Chris Pollard's job is in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    So where does Duke baseball go from here?
    See who transfers in and out through the portal. Duke admissions is not lenient inbound for baseball. We have needs almost everywhere, but starting pitching is the one we won't be able to fill here.

I'm not sure you can do much with the non-conference schedule. We had a NCSOS of 122 with typical opponents and had 3 Quad 4 losses. I don't want to go back to the days where 1 non-conference loss was NIT for the NCAA tournament or scheduling games @Mars Hill for any reason.

Haven't we had some success with Ivy transfers? I could see getting some pitching there..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Haven't we had some success with Ivy transfers? I could see getting some pitching there..
    Bring someone out of the Penn?

A closer -- a real Bulldog?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, but no starters. Ethan DeCaster (Creighton) is the only non-Ivy transfer under Pollard that sticks out, but I might not remember them all.

We might have more immediate success by going the GT model next year--win games with lacrosse scores and find some more consistent hitters through the portal. The weekend rotation is looking bleak for someone to give us a consistent 100 pitches; Marcus Johnson is probably going pro, and Henry Williams may not come back from injury (or just come back at all).

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Yes, but no starters. Ethan DeCaster (Creighton) is the only non-Ivy transfer under Pollard that sticks out, but I might not remember them all.

We might have more immediate success by going the GT model next year--win games with lacrosse scores and find some more consistent hitters through the portal. The weekend rotation is looking bleak for someone to give us a consistent 100 pitches; Marcus Johnson is probably going pro, and Henry Williams may not come back from injury (or just come back at all).
    Brian McAfee (Cornell) was a staff ace at Duke.

Wasn't sure where to put this - it's not Duke Baseball related directly but continues the transfer discussion a bit and folds in some NIL stuff (albeit rumored)

Tommy "Tanks" White from NC State, after setting the freshman HR record then not getting to play in the post-season, has entered the transfer portal. Nothing yet on planned destination but NIL package rumored to be involved. Tweet from Joe Giglio says he skipped his exit interview.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Wasn't sure where to put this - it's not Duke Baseball related directly but continues the transfer discussion a bit and folds in some NIL stuff (albeit rumored)

Tommy "Tanks" White from NC State, after setting the freshman HR record then not getting to play in the post-season, has entered the transfer portal. Nothing yet on planned destination but NIL package rumored to be involved. Tweet from Joe Giglio says he skipped his exit interview.
    It looks like his destination is going to be FSU. I'm surprised that someone with that kind of season isn't pro-bound, though. Can't he go in the MBL draft?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It looks like his destination is going to be FSU. I'm surprised that someone with that kind of season isn't pro-bound, though. Can't he go in the MBL draft?
    The rule for baseball is you can go pro from high school, but if you go to college you are not eligible for the draft until after your 3rd year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The rule for baseball is you can go pro from high school, but if you go to college you are not eligible for the draft until after your 3rd year.
    Ahh...I was thinking the 3rd year thing was for the NFL only. Thanks.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke’s rival UNC lost to VCU last night 4-3 in the Chapel Hill regional. UNC plays an elimination game today at 1 pm vs Georgia. The winner plays VCU at 6 pm in the regional championship. Georgia or UNC must beat VCU tonight and then again tomorrow to win the Chapel Hill regional and advance to super regionals next week.

UNC coach Scott Forbes was ejected early in the game last night for arguing a play where he thought an infield fly rule should have been enforced. UNC had bases loaded 1 out and their batter hit a soft popup in between the pitcher’s mound and 2nd base. The VCU 2nd baseman slid for the ball and dropped it and then threw it to second base for the force out and then to 3rd base to tag a runner out. Inning ending double play. In order to be ruled an infield fly, a fair fly ball has to be judged by the umpire to be able to be caught with ordinary effort by an infielder. By the way the VCU 2nd baseman had to slide for the baseball, I’m thinking the umpire didn’t think that would constitute ordinary effort.

UNC’s coach Scott Forbes is suspended two games for his ejection last night.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

More punishment than unc got for 20 years of blatant cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Duke’s rival UNC lost to VCU last night 4-3 in the Chapel Hill regional. UNC plays an elimination game today at 1 pm vs Georgia. The winner plays VCU at 6 pm in the regional championship. Georgia or UNC must beat VCU tonight and then again tomorrow to win the Chapel Hill regional and advance to super regionals next week.

UNC coach Scott Forbes was ejected early in the game last night for arguing a play where he thought an infield fly rule should have been enforced. UNC had bases loaded 1 out and their batter hit a soft popup in between the pitcher’s mound and 2nd base. The VCU 2nd baseman slid for the ball and dropped it and then threw it to second base for the force out and then to 3rd base to tag a runner out. Inning ending double play. In order to be ruled an infield fly, a fair fly ball has to be judged by the umpire to be able to be caught with ordinary effort by an infielder. By the way the VCU 2nd baseman had to slide for the baseball, I’m thinking the umpire didn’t think that would constitute ordinary effort.

Unranked Carolina came seemingly out of nowhere to win the ACC tourney, and then were gifted hosting a regional, while the Wuffies (who also made the championship game) were given an early vacation.
    I'm ok with State not making the dance, but the Heels hosting was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Unranked Carolina came seemingly out of nowhere to win the ACC tourney, and then were gifted hosting a regional, while the Wuffies (who also made the championship game) were given an early vacation.
    I'm ok with State not making the dance, but the Heels hosting was ridiculous.
    It's not like they were the #16 overall seed either. It was a much bigger bump than we got last year from winning the ACC Tournament for a team with a similar resume. Go Dogs.

VCU vs UNC CH in the Chapel Hill regional championship starting soon

On ESPN+.

Go VCU Rams!

Beat Carolina!

Heels scored 7 in the 1st inning. Depth of pitching, big advantage to the Heels.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

9-5 UNC top 3.

3 HRs for the Heels already.

16-5 UNC-CH bottom 5.

Looks like they’ll play for a regional championship vs VCU tomorrow in Chapel Hill.

Please win tomorrow VCU.

4-0 UNC-CH bottom 1 over VCU.

This Tar Heel team can mash.

Heels looking good...unfortunately. The only saving grace is it puts 4 ACC teams in the super regionals in addition to VT, ND, and Louisville. Miami big choke hosting, Fla St, WF, UVA, and GT ousted too.

Go ECU?