Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    RBI double = a 6-4 Duke lead
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    RBI double = a 6-4 Duke lead
    Missed opportunity to load up the bases with 1 out and then strand all three runners... Hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt the devils.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I didn't realize that the last time these two teams played, Chris Pollard was coaching for the other side. (2012)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Missed opportunity to load up the bases with 1 out and then strand all three runners... Hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt the devils.
    Second time it's happened this game, and the first the batter had a 3-1 count.

Sigh. App gets one back with a RBI double. 6-5 now, Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sigh. App gets one back with a RBI double. 6-5 now, Duke.
    Duke gets the run back with their own RBI twofer again.

Duke takes it right back with leadoff walk followed by double high off the left field wall... 7-5, runner on second, no outs...

Sacrifice bunt puts the runner on 3rd with one out... And a single sends the runner home—8-5... Error by 1st baseman gives the devils runners on 1st and 2nd... And drives AppSt to make another pitching change... 2 more stranded, but solid inning. 8-5 heading to the 8th.
    Last edited by Papa John; 02-22-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Allen comes in and fans all three batters in the 8th... Keep him in for the 9th?

Ugh... runners on the corners with no outs and Duke strands both again... That's 8 stranded in the last 3 innings alone...

On the bright side, Allen opens the 9th by fanning another AppSt batter... and a groundout puts Duke one out away...

And that's a winner! Another strikeout... 8-5 Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Exciting game.
    Against Appalachian State, it appears.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

https://goduke.com/documents/2022/2/...State_2_22.pdf

Duke used 7 pitchers. Makes sense to get action for the guys and see who can do the job. Notable -- Josh Allen went the final 2 innings and struck out 5 of 6 batters.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Duke used 7 pitchers. Makes sense to get action for the guys and see who can do the job. Notable -- Josh Allen went the final 2 innings and struck out 5 of 6 batters.
    Henry Williams has not pitched this year - is he not available?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Perhaps I missed it but where is R.J. Schreck?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

High praise for pitcher Josh Allen from Coach Pollard

It was clear Duke was celebrating International Left Handers Day six months early when it sent sophomore Josh Allen out to pitch the eighth inning, the fifth Duke southpaw of the night. Allen closed in dominant fashion, getting six outs on 20 pitches, with a 65.0% called strike or whiff.

“I think that's as good as I've seen anybody throw the ball in the game since I've been here at Duke, and that's saying a lot,” head coach Chris Pollard said. “We've had a lot of really good arms, but that was electric.”

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ntucci-pollard

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    Looks like he played the season opener in LF and went 0-5, but DNP the other three games since. Maybe injured?

Chris Davis has played LF in all of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Henry Williams has not pitched this year - is he not available?
    I haven't heard anything. He's got a lot of competition to get on the mound.

Baylor had an interesting weekend. Maryland swept them decisively, but you have to remember Maryland baseball is not the same as the perennial 8th place team in the old 9 team ACC. Goduke hasn't posted anything yet, but the link below has the Baylor radio and TV (ESPN+) links.

https://baylorbears.com/sports/baseball/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    I believe it was on Sunday the announcer stated he was sick.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe it was on Sunday the announcer stated he was sick.
    Yes, non-Covid.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Announcers say it is 37 for the first pitch. Brrr.

Johnson gets his first start on the mound.